Best VPN for BBC iPlayer and USA streaming serviced (NordVPN sucks)

Sensorei

Expert Member
Hi guys. Please help me out with some suggestions. I signed up for NordVPN to watch BBC iPlayer, USA Netflix and ESPN+. Unfortunately I only got BBC iPlayer working very briefly after trying about 15 servers. With 80% of servers my 20Meg line speed dropped to under 2Mbps.

USA servers are 0.5Mbps - 2Mbps despite having a 20Meg line. Netflix barely plays. MyBB speedtest is under 0.5Mbps while connected to a USA server.

What VPNs are the best bang for buck, and offer good line speeds as well as working iPlayer?

Christo4

For only a geo unblock I would suggest you try SMARTDNSPROXY.
7 day trial.

VicB

Hi guys. Please help me out with some suggestions. I signed up for NordVPN to watch BBC iPlayer, USA Netflix and ESPN+. Unfortunately I only got BBC iPlayer working very briefly after trying about 15 servers. With 80% of servers my 20Meg line speed dropped to under 2Mbps.

USA servers are 0.5Mbps - 2Mbps despite having a 20Meg line. Netflix barely plays. MyBB speedtest is under 0.5Mbps while connected to a USA server.

What VPNs are the best bang for buck, and offer good line speeds as well as working iPlayer?
I'm with NordVPN and couldn't be happier. I watch ESPN+ with it and it never buffers or drops in quality. BBC iPlayer works fine too. I get roughly 80-90% of my normal line speed, which is more than adequate for streaming sport in HD.

What are you using to connect to the VPN?

Also note that they have different servers for different requirements. The best servers for streaming content have server #'s above 2400, so make sure you select one of those.

Vicari0

I'm with NordVPN and couldn't be happier. I watch ESPN+ with it and it never buffers or drops in quality. BBC iPlayer works fine too. I get roughly 80-90% of my normal line speed, which is more than adequate for streaming sport in HD.

What are you using to connect to the VPN?

Also note that they have different servers for different requirements. The best servers for streaming content have server #'s above 2400, so make sure you select one of those.
Hi

Which servers would those be ?...there aren’t that many servers in SA

Azg

Expert Member
A smartdns like Getflix unlocks most of those sites without the speed penalty of a VPN.

Spizz

Goat Botherer
A smartdns like Getflix unlocks most of those sites without the speed penalty of a VPN.
+1. Put settings in your router and get iPlayer on any device in your house. Plus you get a VPN for free for when you are on the move.

IOPS

I haven't specifically tested this with the iPlayer, but I get excellent throughput using iVPN. I've used them for two years and I've been very happy.

By far the best VPN offering out there, albeit a bit pricey.

Christo4

I haven't specifically tested this with the iPlayer, but I get excellent throughput using iVPN. I've used them for two years and I've been very happy.

By far the best VPN offering out there, albeit a bit pricey.
No Netflix so I cannot agree with your "best VPN" quote.
How many servers in RSA?

Christo4

Thanxs. Yes, using SMARTDNSPROXY. For geoblock = A1.
Used Getflix many moons ago.

Vicari0

Hi

Where or wichdevice are you running your vpn on ? TCP /Udp ?
Keen to know your setup.. I've been getting constant buffering on my mind box. :(

Using VPN servers outside RSA [router settings] will sometimes have an impact on DSTV Now and your bank
[FNB] app. Even Gmail and so on.[/QUOTE

Christo4

I do not use a VPN anymore. I have no need for that kind of privacy. Bypass geo block is all I need and it must work on my very old modem/router.
I use Smart Dns Proxy because of the price, servers, help and its giving me no hassles. Part of the deal is a VPN that I sometimes use on Android. Put it on auto and away you go. No auto switch means you have to try lots of different protocol combinations like TCP or UDP 80 or 443 or 1194 etc.
Buffering unfortunately is like cancer. It took me a year looking for the miracle cure on the internet and you tube. All in the negative.
Good luck and let me know when you have the cure.

lissi88

I use ExpressVPN service, works as the best BBC iPlayer VPN, it provides 2 UK servers in order to unblock the site. The East London server is just to be connected and access BBC iPlayer without much of a hassle.

Last edited:

Chuckmyster

Honorary Master
I used IPVanish for a year, really really good. Highly recommend it if you can afford it

reactor_sa

Executive Member
I use Private Internet Access for VPN because Aus nanny state.
But for Netflix I need something and was looking at smartdns and getflix but how safe are DNS proxies? I'm worried about my private info being stolen.

Last edited: