Best VPN to use in 2020?

susefan

I have gone for 24 Month Subscription of surfshark. They are offering a big discount and the reviews look good. 30 days return policy. The first setback is that FNB Mobile won't allow me to login while on VPN. I thought VPN was also supposed to make all banking including through mobile app more secure especially if on public wifi. I will ask FNB about it.

Savy561

I have gone for 24 Month Subscription of surfshark. They are offering a big discount and the reviews look good. 30 days return policy. The first setback is that FNB Mobile won't allow me to login while on VPN. I thought VPN was also supposed to make all banking including through mobile app more secure especially if on public wifi. I will ask FNB about it.
This will be the case for most VPN's and the reason is because you are sharing an ip address with many other uses and are constantly changing ip address locations. This is how you stay anonymous with a vpn and the only way around this is to order a static ip address at an additional cost. You can also get blocked by your bank for this as the ip address gets rotated by a vpn provider and you never know what someone else is doing with that ip address, this is also the reason for constant captcha requests and streaming service up black listing.

susefan

This will be the case for most VPN's and the reason is because you are sharing an ip address with many other uses and are constantly changing ip address locations. This is how you stay anonymous with a vpn and the only way around this is to order a static ip address at an additional cost. You can also get blocked by your bank for this as the ip address gets rotated by a vpn provider and you never know what someone else is doing with that ip address, this is also the reason for constant captcha requests and streaming service up black listing.
Apart from Netflix streaming everything else is working. One thing I like is that google and yahoo adverts (promotions) are now coming in foreign languages that I don't understand. Less distraction.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Apart from Netflix streaming everything else is working. One thing I like is that google and yahoo adverts (promotions) are now coming in foreign languages that I don't understand. Less distraction.
Move to Windscribe. Netflix works on all servers and there's ROBERT adblocking.

Savy561

I personally will never use a vpn unless they offer a static ip address as a lot of people use a vpn for shady purposes or to avoid prosecution on the internet and you will in rotation potentially receive one of those ip addresses. To each is their own I guess as this doesn't bother everyone.

susefan

We keep on learning, Netflix is streaming over browser. Through the app no. The adds I am talking about are the gmail ones that google calls promotions and yahoo's that come as emails.

susefan

I personally will never use a vpn unless they offer a static ip address as a lot of people use a vpn for shady purposes or to avoid prosecution on the internet and you will in rotation potentially receive one of those ip addresses. To each is their own I guess as this doesn't bother everyone.
In the choices of location I see static. I don't know if that means that for all the time I am connected to that server I have a static ip address.

Savy561

In the choices of location I see static. I don't know if that means that for all the time I am connected to that server I have a static ip address.
Yes a static ip address with a vpn means your ip will remain the same and will not change, just keep in mind that it is still shared with everyone else using the vpn, so your bank will possibly still block your connection.

Last edited:

tcofran

Expert Member
Good morning peeps,

I am completely new to the world of VPN's. My daughter wants to watch US NF etc........ I have a Huawei (Telkom LTE) B315s-936 router. Will this router work for a VPN so that everything goes through the router ??? If not, what router will work with Telkom LTE for this scenario ?????

And lastly, what is the best VPN to use in SA....

Sorry for all the questions, but like i stated, complete noob here

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
Good morning peeps,

I am completely new to the world of VPN's. My daughter wants to watch US NF etc........ I have a Huawei (Telkom LTE) B315s-936 router. Will this router work for a VPN so that everything goes through the router ??? If not, what router will work with Telkom LTE for this scenario ?????

Express vpn and nord vpn would be best. You need have vpn on the device that router won't be to do express vpn or nord vpn

tcofran

Expert Member
Express vpn and nord vpn would be best. You need have vpn on the device that router won't be to do express vpn or nord vpn

Thanks for the response, Any suggestions for new router to be able to do this ??? Telkom LTE, with external antenna connected

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
Thanks for the response, Any suggestions for new router to be able to do this ??? Telkom LTE, with external antenna connected
No commercial router does these type of vpn service. You have use another device and lte router to get it setup for whole network

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Good morning peeps,

Windscribe. $1 per location and $1 unlimited data with ROBERT adblocking. Cheap as chips. Netflix works on all servers as well. Else there's https://www.smartdnsproxy.com/.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Express supports PPTP that'll work on the Huawei AFAIK. Not recommended becuase it's insecure though.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Ok thanks, what router will i need to set this up on ? Have Telkom LTE now
Best will be just to get an Android TV box if she wants to watch on the telly. Don't think you can even change the DNS on that router?

tcofran

Expert Member
Can i add it on her smart tv ?

is the windscribe $1 per location actually per device ???? Then i can gooi one on my MiBox as well ?

Best will be just to get an Android TV box if she wants to watch on the telly. Don't think you can even change the DNS on that router?

gamer16

Honorary Master
I'm using ProtonVPN with Rain 4G. Working well, free account only.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master

is the windscribe $1 per location actually per device ???? Then i can gooi one on my MiBox as well ?
No there's only Android/Amazon TV apps. It's on unlimited devices (within reason though if you use it on 50 devices your account will get flagged).

Savy561

It would be best do your own research on this matter as there are A LOT of factors to consider if you want to use a vpn for streaming and you will most certainly run into problems frequently while doing so.

1: how fast is your telkom lte? Do you get any packatloss on your internet? When streaming from international servers, you can often not even stream in HD due to the distance of the server and telkoms ability for international transit if you choose a smart dns service. If you choose a vpn then you WILL receive a speed reduction and how much of a reduction depends on the vpn service you choose.

2: to get a vpn working on a router level you will need to purchase a custom router from a vpn provider and these are mostly very expensive, around R5000+ which you will need to bridge with your lte router if it supports it. It might be possible to flash custom vpn firmware on your existing router but it will need to support the firmware and can usually be found on the vpn's website somewhere. Also keep in mind that if you mess this up you can brick your router.

3: easiest method would be to run a pc with said vpn software connected to your tv but even then you will need to do thorough research on vpn providers as major streaming services are very quick to block IP address pools from connecting, leaving you to either constantly look through different servers or wait for the vpn to update their IP pools. The easiest way past this is to get a residential dedicated IP address but only a select few vpn providers offer this and will cost a premium more.