Best way to network Apartment buildings?

ZSam

Hello all

Looking for some insight on what the best way would be to network 7 apartment buildings together...

Basically the internal reticulation is easy as there are already conduits with space available. So, switches in the db box and a cable to each apartment.

Question is: How to network the buildings together to the single internet termination point?

Considerations:

- Least cabling used to minimize trenching
- If using UBNT perhaps AC products, using the least of these as possible to minimize costs?
- Thought of grouping together 2-3 blocks per UBNT wireless bridge to club house? Acting as base station point-to-multipoint.

See simple diagram (hope it makes sense).
Real world images attached too.

Opinions/suggestions welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

Thor

Honorary Master
Where is this, would love to know more, possibly get involved

op365

Hub room in each building providing access to points (wifi aps, ethernet in rooms) in that building. Then fibre from each building to a central server room and from there out to telco / isp.

netcruiser

Just from my own projects: avoid wireless as a backbone, use CAT5 inside, avoid CAT5 outside (rather use fibre).

ZSam

Hub room in each building providing access to points (wifi aps, ethernet in rooms) in that building. Then fibre from each building to a central server room and from there out to telco / isp.
What would the roundabout cost for the fibre be?

I'm assuming a home-run from each building to the central point + a fibre router/switch? Are they not expensive?

**Almost zero fibre knowledge. Even less installation knowledge.

ZSam

Something like such?
*Actual building and apartment numbers scaled down.

Would this give each apartment a Gigabit connection to master switch if Cat6 and Gigabit switches used?

irBosOtter

Expert Member
I would just let a ISP handle everything so that in the end everyone is in charge of they own router and can choose whatever ISP.

Venomous

Honorary Master
What would the roundabout cost for the fibre be?

I'm assuming a home-run from each building to the central point + a fibre router/switch? Are they not expensive?

**Almost zero fibre knowledge. Even less installation knowledge.
Where I use to live Vumatel pulled fibre to everybuilding and where required they used conduit.
What they did there was take their main fibre to the gaurd house by the gate.
From there through the electrical "sewers" to each block terminating at the same point where the electrical meters are for the block. Then depending the block. Either trunk to the units from there or short bit of trunking to rejoin internal trunking that goes to each unit. Placing the cable where required, but obviously not installing ONT/CPE until homes signed up.

All at the cost of Fibrehoods(Vumatel now) even before a single sign up as they wanted into the complex before openserve.

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
Hello all

Looking for some insight on what the best way would be to network 7 apartment buildings together...

Basically the internal reticulation is easy as there are already conduits with space available. So, switches in the db box and a cable to each apartment.

Question is: How to network the buildings together to the single internet termination point?

Considerations:

- Least cabling used to minimize trenching
- If using UBNT perhaps AC products, using the least of these as possible to minimize costs?
- Thought of grouping together 2-3 blocks per UBNT wireless bridge to club house? Acting as base station point-to-multipoint.

See simple diagram (hope it makes sense).
Real world images attached too.

View attachment 704345

View attachment 704349

View attachment 704351

Opinions/suggestions welcome.

Thanks in advance.
So what did you quote them for the project?

HeftyCrab

Expert Member
Something like such?
*Actual building and apartment numbers scaled down.

Would this give each apartment a Gigabit connection to master switch if Cat6 and Gigabit switches used?
View attachment 704381
That looks like an apartment would get gigabit to the "slave switch" but if that switch only has a gigabit connection to the "master switch" then all of the units will contend for bandwidth on that 1Gb link to the Master. Keep in mind you want this reasonably future proof, and fibre prices will (hopefully) drop in the future. You dont want an apartment block maxing out that 1Gb link to the master.

I see you said there are 12 units in an apartment block. If each unit gets a 100Mb connection in the future youre going to run into issues.

Like the others have said check if the fibre provider can do this for you as well.

Either way loving this thread so keeping an eye on it.

Last edited:
On a practical note, how are you funding this ?
Do you have permission from the body corporate to do this ?
Would the bulk of the traffic be to internet, or perhaps between flats ?

I ask, because we did something very similar back in my student days after having moved into bunch of flats just outside the Tukkies mens res, and there not being any internet.

I also agree with having the access switches (you call them slave) being copper to the flat, and the transport switches (you call them master) being fibre linked.

The distances are critical here as fibre generally comes in two flavors, single mode for long distance (I've seen ones for 60km) and multi mode for shorter (typically 300m). The cable used as well as the hardware is different, but the switches are the same as you simply put the right SFP module in.

Aaah this brings back memories....

irBosOtter

Expert Member
That looks like an apartment would get gigabit to the "slave switch" but if that switch only has a gigabit connection to the "master switch" then all of the units will contend for bandwidth on that 1Gb link to the Master. Keep in mind you want this reasonably future proof, and fibre prices will (hopefully) drop in the future. You dont want an apartment block maxing out that 1Gb link to the master.

I see you said there are 12 units in an apartment block. If each unit gets a 100Mb connection in the future youre going to run into issues.

Like the others have said check if the fibre provider can do this for you as well.

Either way loving this thread so keeping an eye on it.
Yeah he will need 2 x10Gb uplinks form the access switches to a 10Gb core switch. Nevermind a 10Gb firewall and a 10Gb fibre link.

Honestly, this is not how to do it. Let a ISP handle it or you okes are going to spend a fortune, and if you are not spending a fortune.... then you brought crap equipment

Honestly, this is not how to do it. Let a ISP handle it or you okes are going to spend a fortune, and if you are not spending a fortune.... then you brought crap equipment
Yeah, maybe, just remember that ISPs make money, and it makes no sense to spend it so you have a nice network. Someone is going to pay somewhere, and with ISP offering all these nice things upfront, just means they would get it from you later in the game. ISP also do not care much for peer traffic, only for the consumption of their service...

DeKing

The other thing is security on the network as well. If there is just one network, with everyone connected to, how do you then seperate them accessing each other. Are you going to VLAN each apartment out, to ensure that flat A is not browsing Flat B's pics on their computer.

Leno

If money is not a problem I would stick in Ubiquity Ufiber Gpon https://fiber.ui.com/

If you are in an area that has lightning, avoid using cat5/6 between buildings.

Polymathic

Honorary Master
Was the architect of the building from Ukraine? That building looks Soviet