Shubz26

Hi. I'll be travelling to Dubai soon for work for a few months. What's the cheapest and/or easiest way to pay for stuff abroad. I have a standard bank credit card but i heard the fees are high when swiping overseas. Are there any other international credit cards or payment facilities that would be cheaper? Or is it best to just use cash?

3WA

Honorary Master
Credit card. I have an FNB credit card; don't see any fees for any of my international swiping.

Shubz26

Credit card. I have an FNB credit card; don't see any fees for any of my international swiping.

Which credit card do you have? I had a look at their website. I checked the gold, premier and private wealth credit cards. All the pricing guides say they charge a 2.75% currency conversion fee.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Which credit card do you have? I had a look at their website. I checked the gold, premier and private wealth credit cards. All the pricing guides say they charge a 2.75% currency conversion fee.

If work is paying for all of it why worry?

That fee might also not apply for swipes but only online purchases.

3WA

Honorary Master

Premier. I ran the numbers some time ago; even if there is a fee (which isn’t shown on my statements), the inclusive conversion rate would have been better than buying at a Bureau de Change.

Shubz26

If work is paying for all of it why worry?

That fee might also not apply for swipes but only online purchases.
No, this is for my own personal spending while I'm there. All the brochures say the fee is charged for swiping as well.

The_Traveller

Expert Member
Premier. I ran the numbers some time ago; even if there is a fee (which isn’t shown on my statements), the inclusive conversion rate would have been better than buying at a Bureau de Change.
Not if the ZAR strengthens significantly.

You either win or lose, depending on how many purchases you do an the value.

Last edited:

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
No, this is for my own personal spending while I'm there. All the brochures say the fee is charged for swiping as well.

You don’t get per diem?

In my experience whether using your card like this or foreign exchanging before hand really amounts to much the same at the end of the day and the card is much more convenient.

Nobody does it for free.