Best website to book hotels in SA

Migrant

Any recommendations please on the best website to book hotels in SA .. Travelstart, booking.com, other ..?

f2wohf

Honorary Master
I use Booking.com abroad, and have used them locally too.

+1

When I have chosen my hotel, I still check the price on the hotel’s website and on a competitor website. Sometimes you do get a small difference, a promotion or complementary things.

Lord Farquart

Expert Member
+1

When I have chosen my hotel, I still check the price on the hotel’s website and on a competitor website. Sometimes you do get a small difference, a promotion or complementary things.

Yup, but the fact that you can cancel almost up to the day you arrive makes Booking.com a better option than booking direct. My hotel in Venlo 2 weeks ago was the first I booked directly with the hotel in 7 years. Only because the Booking.com quota was depleted and the hotel had a room available on direct booking.

Dean01

Hi guys , I made a stuff up and booked a non refundable hotel. If I cancel my credit card , will booking still be able to charge the card and therefore just cancel the booking by default?

GhostSixFour

Username approved by US Airforce
Seeing as they are running a competition on MyBB currently - afristay.

Lord Farquart

Expert Member
I am planning on using them for a trip to the US next year. Are they good? Will I have any problems when I get there?

Yes, 1000 times yes. Have a tab open with Trivago too, just to do a sanity check. I ahve not had one problem with Booking.com anywhere in the world.

Lord Farquart

Expert Member
Great to hear, I will definitely be using them then.

Don't be alarmed if you sometimes book a place and you opt to pay at the hotel upon arrival, and then a small amount goes off your CC. They(Hotels) do that to check for valid cards and will refund it within a day or 3. Just their checks and balances.

R.V

Banned
Don't be alarmed if you sometimes book a place and you opt to pay at the hotel upon arrival, and then a small amount goes off your CC. They(Hotels) do that to check for valid cards and will refund it within a day or 3. Just their checks and balances.

I think that was my concern, because I read somewhere someone complaining about just this. I do not have a problem with this, but it would be great if I could pay online upon booking and get it over and done with. I just don't want to pitch up in New York to find that there was no reservation made for me.

Lord Farquart

Expert Member
I think that was my concern, because I read somewhere someone complaining about just this. I do not have a problem with this, but it would be great if I could pay online upon booking and get it over and done with. I just don't want to pitch up in New York to find that there was no reservation made for me.

Nah, go there and pay at the hotel. That gives you up to 24 hours before to still change your mind and book somewhere else. I have done that countless times. You book now for best price and location, but 2 days before you are scheduled to book in, you do another search and now some other hotel, that was too expensive before, is now so discounted that you change your booking. Nobody gets pissed off by this.

If you book often enough on Booking.com, you start getting discounted rates. It is called Genius, and some good deals then. Some hotels will say that you have to pay before, or you get extra discount if you do, but I have waived that on most occasions. Anyway, I have never arrived at a hotel and then they don't have a clue about my booking. I have used them in the USA, Russia, SA, Germany, Belguim and Italy. Top notch service every time.

kfc4unme

How about trivago. I have no experience with them but it is my favourite advert on t.v. ;)

Immortal_Souljah

How about trivago. I have no experience with them but it is my favourite advert on t.v. ;)

Would not advise to use trivago. They are 40% more expensive.

Use booking.com and hotelscombined.com never use a mac or idevice. Linux is best or android fone ( yes these websites change prices based on device)

Also use a vpn if possible to see if sa pricing differs.

Choose pay now rather than pay later to lock in price and avoid currency fluctuations.

Hotelscombined.com normally would push you to agoda and amoma.com make sure the taxes are included.

R.V

Banned
Nah, go there and pay at the hotel. That gives you up to 24 hours before to still change your mind and book somewhere else. I have done that countless times. You book now for best price and location, but 2 days before you are scheduled to book in, you do another search and now some other hotel, that was too expensive before, is now so discounted that you change your booking. Nobody gets pissed off by this.

If you book often enough on Booking.com, you start getting discounted rates. It is called Genius, and some good deals then. Some hotels will say that you have to pay before, or you get extra discount if you do, but I have waived that on most occasions. Anyway, I have never arrived at a hotel and then they don't have a clue about my booking. I have used them in the USA, Russia, SA, Germany, Belguim and Italy. Top notch service every time.

Thanks for this. Yes, it will make it more fun then. I will do my bookings and opt to pay at the hotel and look at specials again closer to the time I fly.