Beware ATM fraud over the festive season

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator
Beware ATM fraud over the festive season

The festive is approaching, and while many South Africans may take the period as an opportunity to relax, they should remain wary when using ATMs.

This is according to FNB Points of Presence CEO Lee-Anne van Zyl, who said that fraudsters are especially active during the holiday period.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
ATM?? Draw from the cashier.
And not get that 1000 yard stare when asking for anything over R300? Then there are the till queues and limited operating hours. Not all sunshine, rainbows and roses to draw at a till.

Lupus

Honorary Master
And not get that 1000 yard stare when asking for anything over R300? Then there are the till queues and limited operating hours. Now all sunshine, rainbows and roses to draw at a till.
Also you'll get the 1000 yard stare when you pay for your groceries in cash and it's over R100 as it takes ages for them to count it, the other day someone paid R3000 for their groceries in cash, it took bloody ages.
Fine at the cash draw place at Checkers? FNB wants to promote less usage of ATMs and branches by the looks of it.

The_Ogre

Honorary Master
If I have to withdraw money, I do it at the ATM inside a a filling station. It's less likely that a crim would fiddle with the machine with people in- and outing all the time.

As an extra security measure I then put the money inside my underpants. :thumbsup:

Ninja'd

A Djinn
And not get that 1000 yard stare when asking for anything over R300? Then there are the till queues and limited operating hours. Not all sunshine, rainbows and roses to draw at a till.
Here there's a Capitec branch ATM next to PnP Liquor. Capitec queue is long as usual so I went to the liquor store to withdraw R500. Must say it felt odd getting cash there, usually that's I waste it.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
If I have to withdraw money, I do it at the ATM inside a a filling station. It's less likely that a crim would fiddle with the machine with people in- and outing all the time.

As an extra security measure I then put the money inside my underpants. :thumbsup:
This. Beauty of Capitec partnering with Spark ATM systems. They're in a bunch of supermarkets.