Beware - Dangerous fake version of FaceApp

Bradley Prior

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator
Beware - Dangerous fake version of FaceApp

FaceApp has become a viral sensation over the past week, with both Android and iOS users downloading the application to take selfies and pass them through the program's age filter.

The app uses machine learning features to analyse a self-portrait picture and output an altered version which predicts how you would look if you were much older.

Ryansr

Expert Member
This article is just a warning, thank you but it should be even more helpful if the article could tell us how to ensure that we install the original version of the app and perhaps what the outcome of your own tests were when you used the app????

The Voice

Executive Member
Still not going to install the "safe" app that sends all my pictures to a server in Russia.

The Voice

Executive Member
So the legit version can't be trusted as well?
That's the kicker. It is trusted because when you install it you have to agree to the T's and C's - which has a clause stating that you allow them to access the media on your device. And as all the photo processing happens on their servers, not your device, you really have no clue as to what happens to your files afterwards, either.

elvis_presley

Expert Member
That's the kicker. It is trusted because when you install it you have to agree to the T's and C's - which has a clause stating that you allow them to access the media on your device. And as all the photo processing happens on their servers, not your device, you really have no clue as to what happens to your files afterwards, either.
So it processes the photos in the cloud, after you upload it? Not sure what the problem is here - isn't that how pretty much everything works nowdays? As for "access to media permission" - it'd be hard to upload a photo without access to it.

The photos are actually uploaded to AWS and processed there - all the paranioa about privacy seems to have originated from an alarmist article in the New York Times, which was horribly anti-Russia. Obviously planted propaganda to anyone with decent tech knowledge, much like the "Huawei routers are vulnerable" one from a few months back.

The Voice

Executive Member
So it processes the photos in the cloud, after you upload it? Not sure what the problem is here - isn't that how pretty much everything works nowdays? As for "access to media permission" - it'd be hard to upload a photo without access to it.

The photos are actually uploaded to AWS and processed there - all the paranioa about privacy seems to have originated from an alarmist article in the New York Times, which was horribly anti-Russia. Obviously planted propaganda to anyone with decent tech knowledge, much like the "Huawei routers are vulnerable" one from a few months back.
Not like we haven't trusted Facebook, Instagram and even WhatsApp with our media for over a decade. Same same but different.

crack2483

Love these buzz words "in the cloud" like theres some magic space wheres stuff just happens.
Meanwhile in reality it's a physical server sitting somewhere.

elvis_presley

Expert Member
Not like we haven't trusted Facebook, Instagram and even WhatsApp with our media for over a decade. Same same but different.
Exactly - I'm not sure why everyone's worried now, just because it's some russian devs that squirted a popular app out. The anti-China, anti-Russia propaganda is strong nowdays. What do these people actually think Putin wants to do with pictures of their faces? The guys to worry about are your own government, they can actually DO something with the data that will effect you!

Slootvreter

Honorary Master
Exactly - I'm not sure why everyone's worried now, just because it's some russian devs that squirted a popular app out. The anti-China, anti-Russia propaganda is strong nowdays. What do these people actually think Putin wants to do with pictures of their faces? The guys to worry about are your own government, they can actually DO something with the data that will effect you!
Yeah. So what if they have pictures of me. I have a profile picture on Google and Facebook as well, I even put it there.

koeks525

Expert Member
I don't get the security commotion behind FaceApp... what is it that FaceApp is collecting that Google, Apple, Microsoft and Facebook do not have on their users?

Slootvreter

Honorary Master
I don't get the security commotion behind FaceApp... what is it that FaceApp is collecting that Google, Apple, Microsoft and Facebook do not have on their users?
And what do they want to do with my photos? Create fake ID's? :ROFL:

Daruk

Honorary Master
It's not what, it's who. Their servers sit in the proximity of the Kremlin. Coincidence?
https://www.linkedin.com/posts/logan-hicks_digging-into-faceapp-at-the-moment-with-the-activity-6558730877826850816-CuU5

Digging into FaceApp at the moment with the crew. A lot of interesting findings, to include: - Data retention strategies - Network Convergencies - Architecture - Security Posturing - Political ties - Partner networks So far, we can say without a doubt there is with certainty ties to the Kremlin from FaceApp and the KGB. Most likely, and most logically, they system is being used for intelligence and counter intelligence purposes, both for Russian, and US Citizens, utilizing AI and ML systems for facial recognition. This will likely be correlated with OSINT campaigns to build dossiers on citizens globally, more specifically US and Russian citizens. Substanital connections, both on the findings from the systems and social sides support this. We will be publishing our collective findings in a paper format once we have collected the rest of the data. As of now, I would highly recommend against using FaceApp if you are a US Citizen, unless you are comfortable being actively monitored and tracked by foreign intelligence services.
Update #2: We have been able to identify servers with both direct logical, and geographical proximity to The Kremlin, as seen below in the photos. The photos indicate a Name Server linked directly to The Kremlin and FaceApp, as well as geographic proximity to the Kremlin itself, which is also known to utilize Geo-Distorting technology to offset for defense purposes for several critical locations within The Russian Federation, to include The Kremlin.
Faceapp domain linkage with Kremlin
1564124427644.png