Beware fake Microsoft support scams in South Africa

noswal

Executive Member
Well about time to hear something from microsoft but such scams have been reported here in posts for years.

Is that press release going out to beyond this technical forum or widespread out to the "mom & dad" types who need to know?

F

Fudzy

Is that press release going out to beyond this technical forum or widespread out to the "mom & dad" types who need to know?
This. Not much point in the warning being published in the tech realm.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Had several clients who have each lost about R3000 to this crap. Yes, it still happens, and yes, it is a very lucrative scam.

cfilorux

How to train your mother in law

What my mother in law would say is, "how do I run this file"? And "There is no 'Run Program'" on my menu. She's running Linux.

Last edited:

entrepr

Expert Member
I put the incoming caller on speakerphone and continue to work whilst he/she blabs out the whole set of instructions and when he asks what I see on the screen in front of me I say 'it looks like is says scamalert.com' or something similar. The one guy lost it with me and had some very choice language before hanging up. It certainly makes the spam part of the scam worthwhile.

viper2110

Well about time to hear something from microsoft but such scams have been reported here in posts for years.

There is an article about this on news24.com today.

j4ck455

Executive Member
Beware fake Microsoft support scams in SA
Is there a difference between the real and the fake considering how expensive Microsoft product licences are and both are out to rip people off in a big way?

RichardG

Honorary Master
They should rather spend money on mass advertising on television to inform their loyal customers about the scam that is ongoing.

I O U

In the rare instance where Microsoft might contact consumers directly, the caller will be able to verify the existence of a current customer relationship, Microsoft said.
How do you verify the legitimacy of someone over a phone line? :confused:

])ragon_\/oid

Expert Member
Actually, there is an easy way to avoid this. Tell them you will rather phone the Microsoft call center if you need help. The main issue here is, 90% of people out there will fall for this. The solution is to educate them.

elysian

Our household has received these calls on 4 or 5 occasions over the last few years.

The first time it happened, my wife gave me the phone and after listening to his story, I told him it's BS and put the phone down. He phoned back immediately and started asking the exact same questions, ("Do you run Windows?", etc) as if I didn't just speak to him 10 seconds before. :whistling:

I then went through the process, because I was interested in hearing how he was going to try to scam me. I started losing patience after it took him about 2 minutes to explain to me where the windows key is on the keyboard and how to hold it and press [R]. I cracked and said, ok so you want me to open the run dialog? He then got stroppy and went on about how I think I know about computers but I probably don't, etc. We had an entertaining little argument and then he enquired how I know what the run dialog is, and I replied that I had been programming for about 23 yrs. He put the phone down.

He then phoned back about 15 minutes later and started the whole process again! I asked to speak to a manager there at "MS" and they put some guy on the line (possibly the same guy) who was chewing loudly and answered the phone with a grunt and "WHAT?". I told him to F-off and put the phone down.

They phoned back a little later, and unfortunately my daughter answered the phone. She gave it to me immediately, but now they knew there was another potential in the home. They put the phone down.

I left the phone on the hook and received another 6-8 calls from them, where they just put the phone down when I answered.

The last time it happend was about 2 weeks ago, my wife answered and said that she knows it's a scam. They replied with, "Ok, thank you. Bye" :)

MickZA

Executive Member
They're at it again I think, just got a call from 0114332238 in so-so Chinese-English from "MS Support" which I cut short before they could launch into their spiel. Now I wonder if it might be Windows 10 Test related - anyone else get a similar call?

The_Unbeliever

Honorary Master
Excellent way of dealing with these ne'er-do-wells :

The Terrible-Two Scam
Phone Scam, Telemarketer | TX, USA | Family & Kids, Liars/Scammers, Technology

(I get a phone call from a private number. I answer it.)

Caller: “Hello, I am [Caller] from Windows Tech Support. I am calling about your Windows computer. Our system shows it has many viruses and I am going to help you work it out.”

Me: “Oh, no! Well, I don’t know much about computers, so I’ll put you on with my daughter. She knows way more about computers than me so she should be able to work with you.”

Caller: “Yes, that will be fine.”

(I put the phone on speaker and hand it to my daughter so I can listen in.)

Daughter: “Hello!”

Caller: “Hello, I am [Caller] from Windows Tech Support. I am calling about your Windows computer. Our system shows it has many viruses and I am going to help you work it out. Okay?”

Daughter: “Okay.”

Caller: “First I need you to click on the start button.”

Daughter: “Start button!”

Caller: “Yes, could you tell me what you see?”

Daughter: “You see?”

Caller: “Ma’am? No, I can’t see. You have to tell me.”

Daughter: “Tell me!”

Caller: “No, ma’am. You have to tell me. What is it you see on your screen?”

Daughter: “Okay, bye bye. I love you. I go on the swing now.”

(Then my very articulate two-year-old daughter hung up, handed me the phone, and went and played on her swing.)
Fun for the kids too :D

Electron1

Expert Member
Latest browser pop up scam (It locks up your browser, and sets of a continuous beeping - to kill it use task manager to kill your browser and then reboot. Download, install and run Malwarebytes anti-malware to clean up your system) :
Afrihost customer, your system has detected possible Suspicious Activity. Please call the Toll-Free number below for a Microsoft-Certified Technician to help you resolve the issue.
888-979-4279.
For your own safety please do not open internet browser to avoid data corruption to the registry of your system.
Please contact support at the Toll-Free Helpline 888-979-4279
PLEASE DO NOT SHUTDOWN OR RESTART THE COMPUTER, DOING THAT MAY LEAD TO DATA LOSS AND POSSIBLE FAILURE OF THE OPERATING SYSTEM, AND POTENTIAL NON BOOTABLE SITUATION RESULTING IN COMPLETE DATA LOSS. CONTACT CERTIFIED MICROSOFT TECHNICIANS TO RESOLVE THE ISSUE CALLING TOLL-FREE 888-979-4279

Toll-Free Helpline 888-979-4279
I see they use multiple toll free numbers, please update if you have a similar pop up with a different number.
MS scam.png

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Latest browser pop up scam (It locks up your browser, and sets of a continuous beeping - to kill it use task manager to kill your browser and then reboot. Download, install and run Malwarebytes anti-malware to clean up your system) :

I see they use multiple toll free numbers, please update if you have a similar pop up with a different number.
View attachment 314031
what webpage were you on when you got it?
Adwcleaner is also a handy tool.

This warning within the article had been on MS website some time already.

Thursday, March 29, 2012

http://www.microsoft.com/southafrica/press/Pages/Article.aspx?id=16

Then several prior to this one, also one taking the whole scam call centre support issue in regard.
How many people visit the Microsoft site?

Electron1

Expert Member
My customer was on a news website. I am going to check the Malwarebytes log tomorrow to see what it found. AdwCleaner is a great tool, will be running that tomorrow.