Beware of Munnik Basson DaGama Inc. with their scam.

Oopsie

Just got an email from them and starts with; Dear (surname only) Please pay your Vodacom account that is in arrears and you will receive a discount.....
No figures just an account number.

WTF. I have not had a single account since 1997. Nothing at all. My wife bought me a tablet from VC on her name and when the contract expired, I went onto PAYG. That was two and a half years ago.

This is a cheap shot at people to admit to debt they may think they have. Once admitted, they have struck gold and you have to pay by law.

Seems like they are taking their chances by sending mass emails to all and sundry in the hope of catching some fools. I am not a fool.

ambroseg1

Executive Member
This is NOT prescribed debt. For it to be prescribed debt, it needs to be debt to start with.

jvk

Expert Member
This is a cheap shot at people to admit to debt they may think they have. Once admitted, they have struck gold and you have to pay by law.
This part cant be right - as far as i know you cant be forced to pay debt you haven't incurred.

if there was an arrears then yes they can force you to pay once you acknowledge it but if there was no debt to start off with then they taking chances and the law is on your side not theirs.

Jchan11hk

I also received a few SMS like this:
FINAL NOTICE: Re accident: 1 Mar 2016. Pls pay balance: R10263.00 to avoid legal action. MBDINC: (011)560-5112. Ref: 0278000547191499

I have not have any accident in 2016, so i will not follow up or respond to this scam.
These guys are taking chances here.

dunkyd

Expert Member
Play with them. Waste their time. Ask for a/c number. Please forward accident site pics for your records. Ask for quick pay discount.etc erc

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
I also received a few SMS like this:
FINAL NOTICE: Re accident: 1 Mar 2016. Pls pay balance: R10263.00 to avoid legal action. MBDINC: (011)560-5112. Ref: 0278000547191499

I have not have any accident in 2016, so i will not follow up or respond to this scam.
These guys are taking chances here.
Waste their time, and then send them a ridiculous bill of R10263.00 for the time you had to spend wasting their time...

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
MBD are also the Debt Collectors for SABC TV Licences.
No Shame, they sold their souls to the Devil, and now are doing the Devil's dirty work.

Drifter

Honorary Master
They did the debt collection for Emfuleni council. Got fired in November last year. They collected monies and got debtors to pay into MBD trust account. Monies collected never made it to the council account. And, they are STILL sending SMS's with threats and phone calls. Corrupt to the bone.

Jchan11hk

Haha, the thing isi never had any accident in 2016, so i think they are trying their luck.
If i use my actual rate, then I will use another debt collector for them which could be very funny.

Very sad that our country have become like this, crooks are everywhere and no law to protect the actual good citizens

eehellfire

Executive Member
Just got an email from them and starts with; Dear (surname only) Please pay your Vodacom account that is in arrears and you will receive a discount.....
No figures just an account number.

WTF. I have not had a single account since 1997. Nothing at all. My wife bought me a tablet from VC on her name and when the contract expired, I went onto PAYG. That was two and a half years ago.

Seems like they are taking their chances by sending mass emails to all and sundry in the hope of catching some fools. I am not a fool.
Perhaps you don't understand the law.
If you don't have the debt, you don't have the debt. There's no trick into admitting it.

What I would do, if I were you, is ask for the details. Someone may have committed fraud in your name and opened a Vodacom account

marco

Expert Member
These same lawyers tricked me into re activating a prescribed debt. I am well aware that a debt prescribes after 2 years if no action is taken against you and you have not made any payments towards the debt.

My business went bang some years ago and I had debt at Standard Bank and these lawyers won a judgement against me. I was paying it off for a few years and they changed banks and sent me new banking details. This went fine for a year or two but I then received new banking details and proceeded to pay into it. The trick worked like this:

They phoned me to to enquire why I was not paying the "other" debt. Apparently there was a 5 year old debt of R60.00 odd that they somehow dug up. With interest and lawyers fees plus this and that the bill grew to a few thousand rand.
They sent me the Standard bank account that showed that my account number was the same as the new reference number they gave me. So I inadvertently activated the old debt by making a payment into it.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Pretty sure that 1) it's 3 years and 2)once there's a judgment it does not prescribe.

Pretty sure that 1) it's 3 years and 2)once there's a judgment it does not prescribe.
+1 on both

And any time spent out of country does not count towards the 3 years prescription period. Iow if you've spent 4 of of the last 5 years since making the debt overseas, only the 1 year in SA counts towards the 3 years prescription period.

eehellfire

Executive Member
These same lawyers tricked me into re activating a prescribed debt. I am well aware that a debt prescribes after 2 years if no action is taken against you and you have not made any payments towards the debt.

My business went bang some years ago and I had debt at Standard Bank and these lawyers won a judgement against me. I was paying it off for a few years and they changed banks and sent me new banking details. This went fine for a year or two but I then received new banking details and proceeded to pay into it. The trick worked like this:

They phoned me to to enquire why I was not paying the "other" debt. Apparently there was a 5 year old debt of R60.00 odd that they somehow dug up. With interest and lawyers fees plus this and that the bill grew to a few thousand rand.
They sent me the Standard bank account that showed that my account number was the same as the new reference number they gave me. So I inadvertently activated the old debt by making a payment into it.
It's 3 years.
And all you have to do to interrupt prescription is acknowledge the debt, Then the 3 years resets

Sweevo

Honorary Master
This part cant be right - as far as i know you cant be forced to pay debt you haven't incurred.

if there was an arrears then yes they can force you to pay once you acknowledge it but if there was no debt to start off with then they taking chances and the law is on your side not theirs.
There are many threads in here about people who have been taken for a ride by these parasites. It's not about what's legal, it's about what they can get away with... and they prey on people with very little money to defend themselves.

https://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php/407961-Noseweek-article-on-MDB-and-VVM-attorneys
https://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php/486814-MBD-debt-collectors
https://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php/652738-MDB-Where
https://mybroadband.co.za/news/cell...t-of-the-blue-on-a-brand-new-vodacom-sim.html
https://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php/494772-quot-Reported-quot-to-a-debt-collection-agency
https://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php/75836-Your-TV-Licences-account-is-overdue

These idiots tried to scam me with my Kei municipality account - I was paid up and in advance and they clearly didn't read the details properly.

Last edited:

Sweevo

Honorary Master
Perhaps you don't understand the law.
If you don't have the debt, you don't have the debt. There's no trick into admitting it.

What I would do, if I were you, is ask for the details. Someone may have committed fraud in your name and opened a Vodacom account
The trouble is - what's the procedure for a company to have you blacklisted? Do you have to admit to the debt first?

supersunbird

Honorary Master
I mean a listing on a credit bureau by a firm who swears you own them money.
You then complain with the credit bureau and give them time to fix (20 work days), the credit provider must prove to them the debt exist and is valid. If that process doesn't work, you can then go to the Credit Ombud...