• You are not registered on MyBroadband, which means you miss out on great benefits. To join our community is very easy, and completely free. Register now.
  • New Two-Day Giveaway - Enter Here

Beware of RAIN's lack of support

949BFN

From the outset, I had connectivity issues when I received my RAIN modem. We got it going after 3 days of troubleshooting (basic stuff like resetting the modem to factory default, moving the modem around etc.).
After that, my RAIN modem was fairly reliable, although I had at least 1 to 2 disconnects per day. Until about a month ago, when things became really bad. All of a sudden, the modem was losing connection up to 25 times a day, often struggling to re-establish a connection for an hour or more. (I have a script running on a Mikrotik router which sends me an email every time the RAIN modem/service has gone down.)
I got my RAIN connection via MWeb so I contacted their support. Again I had to do basic stuff like resetting the modem, moving it around etc. before they starting taking my problem seriously. After a week of not making any progress with MWeb's support, I decided to buy a new modem (B315) to see if the modem was not the issue.
Unfortunately, it made no difference. Resetting the modem; moving the modem around in my house and replacing the modem made no difference - the signal drops off continuously. I moved the modem to my office an the problem disappeared. Moved it back to my house (where I have full signal), the problem is back.
I reported my findings to M-Web. It is now five weeks since I reported the problem for the first time and I have still not received any feedback. I call support on a regular basis, and every time the response is the same: "We have sent an email to RAIN, but they have not responded yet" or "We have escalated the problem with RAIN but so far, no feedback". This week alone, I had this response three times in a row.
So this morning I insisted on speaking to a manager at M-Web. I was told that it is a third party service and they are dependant on RAIN getting back to them. It was then when the manager probably told me something she should not have: She indicated that they are not getting any feedback from RAIN in respect of any customer complaints and they have a serious problem with RAIN's lack of support.
It has been five weeks since I have been able to use the RAIN connection. So to those thinking of signing up for the RAIN service - be aware. When working, all is fine, but if you have an issue, don't expect help from RAIN.
I would have cancelled the service were it not that I signed up during the double data promotion and would hate to lose that.

MWEBHelp

MWEB Representative
Company Rep
From the outset, I had connectivity issues when I received my RAIN modem. We got it going after 3 days of troubleshooting (basic stuff like resetting the modem to factory default, moving the modem around etc.).
After that, my RAIN modem was fairly reliable, although I had at least 1 to 2 disconnects per day. Until about a month ago, when things became really bad. All of a sudden, the modem was losing connection up to 25 times a day, often struggling to re-establish a connection for an hour or more. (I have a script running on a Mikrotik router which sends me an email every time the RAIN modem/service has gone down.)
I got my RAIN connection via MWeb so I contacted their support. Again I had to do basic stuff like resetting the modem, moving it around etc. before they starting taking my problem seriously. After a week of not making any progress with MWeb's support, I decided to buy a new modem (B315) to see if the modem was not the issue.
Unfortunately, it made no difference. Resetting the modem; moving the modem around in my house and replacing the modem made no difference - the signal drops off continuously. I moved the modem to my office an the problem disappeared. Moved it back to my house (where I have full signal), the problem is back.
I reported my findings to M-Web. It is now five weeks since I reported the problem for the first time and I have still not received any feedback. I call support on a regular basis, and every time the response is the same: "We have sent an email to RAIN, but they have not responded yet" or "We have escalated the problem with RAIN but so far, no feedback". This week alone, I had this response three times in a row.
So this morning I insisted on speaking to a manager at M-Web. I was told that it is a third party service and they are dependant on RAIN getting back to them. It was then when the manager probably told me something she should not have: She indicated that they are not getting any feedback from RAIN in respect of any customer complaints and they have a serious problem with RAIN's lack of support.
It has been five weeks since I have been able to use the RAIN connection. So to those thinking of signing up for the RAIN service - be aware. When working, all is fine, but if you have an issue, don't expect help from RAIN.
I would have cancelled the service were it not that I signed up during the double data promotion and would hate to lose that.
Good afternoon 949BFN.

I am sorry to read of your experience.
Send me your MWEB details via PM so that I can have a look into this for you.

Syphonx

Expert Member
Yup, RAIN support (or maybe its IS support, not sure how the two companies interact) never respond. Even calling them doesn't help.

949BFN

Another week has gone by without any improvement in the service. And nothing from MWeb either.

It is almost as if they want me to cancel the service.

949BFN

Some feedback: RAIN contacted me and indicated that they found a problem with the equipment of my closest tower. It has now been a week and my modem het only lost connection twice for short periods of time. Although ping times and upload speeds are not what one would expect, downloads are fantastic. Speedtest often reports download speeds of 70Mbps, sometimes even a bit faster.

ekkekan

In one way it is shocking to hear but it just shows you how bad service has become. Glad you shared your experience with us all.

I just wonder if your name and contact details via PM would have caused Rain to respond to MWEB?

WayneRed

yes we also provide the Rain LTE-A and have issues getting support form them - we have logged loads of tickets with IS and there is never any resolution... we have opted to change clients with Rain SIM's that have issues over to Cell C's network.

Napalm

Expert Member
I think the major issue us the interlink barrier...

If you have one isp selling stuff to customers but that isp has another isp.... (finger pointing.... starts and the waiting game)

It's just too easy saying... I'm waiting for feedback or things like... we don't have an eta yet (cause they might not have one or no rush... inane it sorts itself out)

Easier to wait and do nothing.