Beware of the "Money Bomb" scam in South Africa

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator
Beware of the "Money Bomb" scam in South Africa

The South African Banking Risk Information Centre (SABRIC) has warned citizens to exercise increased caution this holiday season due to the prevalence of scams and crime.

ATM fraud, phishing, and various social engineering attacks remain a real danger to South Africans, especially when users are transacting over digital platforms.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Some people are just desperate and will believe anything. Its a hit and miss for the criminal.
Would be a straight up miss if they tried it with me...

If it was just one guy trying this stunt, he'd lose whatever money he'd wrapped the wad of cash in, and been dragged to the security/management of the area I was drawing money from.

The_Librarian

Another MyBB
Super Moderator
The only money bomb I know of is the one where they blow up a fully-loaded ATM.

Kosmik

Honorary Master
Somebody points out to me money lying on the floor and it's not mine would make me immediately suspicious. Or just turn around and say thanks and walk off with it :laugh:

Gameface777

My wife got scammed about 3 years ago on Facebook with a guy that advertised his holiday home in Margate. 9k later and we had do make alternative plans, all looked legit at the time... suppose the eager trigger in us just to get away for the holidays screwed our ability to think lol

RaptorSA

Expert Member
Criminals are masters at social engineering and know just how to exploit human vulnerabilities to commit crimes"

In this case the vulnerability is clearly just the IQ of the average South African.

falcon786

Executive Member
So you saw somebody dropping a wad of cash and instead of giving it back to them you decided to split it with some random stranger,yeah now you got robbed....I don't feel sorry for you at all as you're dishonest too.