Honorary Master
Lekker hey...

Why not use the no-brainer idea & use a bloody local SIM...:wtf:

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
WTH! :wtf: that is just criminal. Those operators should be arrested! :mad:

quovadis

Executive Member
Why do these articles always seem like sponsored *cough* content *cough* ?

system32

Expert Member
Peak data per GB (a more realistic measurement)
[PINK] is the max per country
Peak-Data.png
Best never to use roaming.
Buy local sim card.

airborne

Honorary Master
Peak data per GB (a more realistic measurement)
[PINK] is the max per country
View attachment 324317
Best never to use roaming.
Buy local sim card.
What exactly motivates those ludicrous prices, if using a local sim/network is a single digit percentage of those peak rates and the roaming take place on those exact same networks where does the markup come from. Is it the roaming network or the Sa network that's outrageously price gouging?

supersunbird

Honorary Master
What exactly motivates those ludicrous prices, if using a local sim/network is a single digit percentage of those peak rates and the roaming take place on those exact same networks where does the markup come from. Is it the roaming network or the Sa network that's outrageously price gouging?

The roaming network

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
I have little sympathy for anyone nailed when roaming. Everyone knows you don't use a South African sim card in another country unless you specifically have a roaming deal in place. It took me around 10 minutes to find a cafe in London, buy a prepaid Lycamobile sim card, load airtime in it, WhatsApp my friends and family my new temporary number and start using my phone. £10 airtime lasted for 11 days, and allowed a lot of calls and data use for Google Maps. The balance hardly decreased at all after each call home.

Budza

Executive Member
I have little sympathy for anyone nailed when roaming. Everyone knows you don't use a South African sim card in another country unless you specifically have a roaming deal in place. It took me around 10 minutes to find a cafe in London, buy a prepaid Lycamobile sim card, load airtime in it, WhatsApp my friends and family my new temporary number and start using my phone. £10 airtime lasted for 11 days, and allowed a lot of calls and data use for Google Maps. The balance hardly decreased at all after each call home.

Try that in Germany :(

Drunkard #1

Expert Member

The roaming network

Yeah? Make it illegal to charge these rates (local legislation or regulations, or even a well funded CPA case) and see how quick those roaming networks drop their rates rather than get removed. It happened in Europe, but they've got an actual regulator, whereas we have ICASA (the I stands for incompetent).

Of course the local networks have no reason to change anything - their "mere" 20% markup is a lot tastier when calculated on R300 000 a gig, than on R300 a gig.

system32

Expert Member
Sick that for a download of an HD movie will cost R351,550 - more than an RDP house.
Would be interesting to see who gets the R351,550.
Is it the local network or the roaming network.
Either way - it's unjustified.

twhitehead

What exactly motivates those ludicrous prices,
The fact that they can get away with it.

When the people affected by price gouging are not numerous enough to cause a stink, the practice continues indefinitely.

In addition, everyone in a given country blames foreign operators and not their own.