Beware R500,000 per GB roaming rate

Icedman

What the "investigative" journalist forgot to do was investigate. One of the biggest problems is that our operators have multiple agreements within another country. Get the wrong one and your rate could be 200 times more.

Most foreign operators have single roaming rates per country and only roam with providers that offer reasonable rates.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
You know come to think of it why is roaming anything beyond a once off fee upon landing and then simply billed at the local price converted for exchange rate?

It doesn't cost them anything "per MB" or "per minute" to offer it and really is just a case of allowing the MSISDN/ICC-ID on the local network and then forwarding billing for it.

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
The fact that MTN & co let their customers get charged that is downright unethical. Rather cut data access off entirely.

"Thanks for being loyal subscribers. Look we totally enabled a situation which has potentially life ruining consequences for you. Thanks again!!!"

krycor

Honorary Master
It's hilarious when I got this..

88bd82b09e26cda1b62fb1b7d22d2ed4.jpg

Albeit that I could buy 10GB & sim on VodaCom for 13k tsh (R77.3). An Ericsson report years back says GDP is limited if data & connectivity costs are high.

Well.. when people especially IT ones can't find jobs in SA it must be horrid to think in Tanzania, Kenya etc data is made cheap so that IT can thrive while in SA it's used to line the coffers of Gov & Execs.. and as seen.. albeit those same companies sell data cheaply elsewhere.

Lastly.. who is ripping of whom? VodaCom? MTN? Personally I think it is VodaCom charging MTN ridiculous data roaming .. like I said, for the cost of 1MB I got 10GB + sim + change. How the hell do you defend that?

PS. I got that msg albeit my cell data setting disabled.

Last edited:

tRoN

Executive Member
I use knowroaming. Not the cheapest but worth it so it's ready when you land to grab an uber etc.
PM me for a referral code for a discount.

krycor

Honorary Master
I use knowroaming. Not the cheapest but worth it so it's ready when you land to grab an uber etc.
PM me for a referral code for a discount.

I just use a external device as my data hotspot with a local sim. Using my iPad in this case as a hotspot.. does the trick.

Most places a local sim is easy to arrange and data cheaper but it's only really worth it if you there for 7+ days. For 3 or less wifi at hotel and venues is ok.. sucks but manageable.

Some places have lengthy application processes to get a sim tho, e.g. Turkey where it can take up to 7 days

Last edited:

tRoN

Executive Member
I just use a external device as my data hotspot with a local sim. Using my iPad in this case as a hotspot.. does the trick.

Most places a local sim is easy to arrange and data cheaper but it's only really worth it if you there for 7+ days. For 3 or less wifi at hotel and venues is ok.. sucks but manageable.

Some places have lengthy application processes to get a sim tho, e.g. Turkey where it can take up to 7 days

Yeah. Some trips are quick and no time to wait for a sim. Also the airtime only expires 15 months after inactivity

Sodan

Expert Member
It's hilarious when I got this..

88bd82b09e26cda1b62fb1b7d22d2ed4.jpg

Albeit that I could buy 10GB & sim on VodaCom for 13k tsh (R77.3). An Ericsson report years back says GDP is limited if data & connectivity costs are high.

Well.. when people especially IT ones can't find jobs in SA it must be horrid to think in Tanzania, Kenya etc data is made cheap so that IT can thrive while in SA it's used to line the coffers of Gov & Execs.. and as seen.. albeit those same companies sell data cheaply elsewhere.

Lastly.. who is ripping of whom? VodaCom? MTN? Personally I think it is VodaCom charging MTN ridiculous data roaming .. like I said, for the cost of 1MB I got 10GB + sim + change. How the hell do you defend that?

PS. I got that msg albeit my cell data setting disabled.

You love using the word "albeit" :)

Icemanbrfc

Honorary Master
thats why when you land in a country if using for data you get a local sim card and top it up with data, never roam
It's what we say to our corporate users when they go overseas... It's a safer way