BEWARE signing up for any Telkom LIT Box deal / special

Trent242

I have had enough.

I am STILL waiting since the beginning December for my Telkom LIT box.

"No stock no stock no stock" is the constant excuse.

I COULD understand that, being December and all.

But everywhere I look, from online ads to print media, I see them advertising deals, ending 31 January, where the LIT box is part of the sales package.

No stock for home delivery. No stock in Telkom stores. Yet the deals are pushed.

So, to anyone considering signing up with Telkom in the hopes of getting a LIT box... good luck.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
I went in the Telkom store the other day to remind them, next day I got a call telling me stock had just arrived.

Moral of the story - go in and remind them.

Trent242

Went into Telkom Baywest on 28th December. Was placed on "Waiting list" (No stock).

Phoned 10213 this morning, after 30 minutes got through to be told that they have no stock, I must go check with my local Telkom store.
I phoned the Telkom Direct number to see if any of the 3 stores in our city has got stock. After an hour I hung up.

I stay 40 minutes drive from closest store. Would like to check before wasting my time driving through, then queuing for another hour.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
The store I was referring to was the Telkom shop at Bay West - I got mine on the 5th.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
FWIW when I enquired on the Thursday they said they were getting more stock this week, I'm not sure if the stock came in early (because they called me on Friday) or if there is another batch expected this week.

OneKnight

I stay 40 minutes drive from closest store. Would like to check before wasting my time driving through, then queuing for another hour.

Wish MyBB can do a follow-up article on this story.

https://mybroadband.co.za/news/cellular/78102-telkom-direct-stores-epicfail.html

As expected, nothing has changed in 5 years.

It is very ironic that a telecoms company does not make it possible for their clients to use said technology to communicate with them in order to make things easier and improve their business.

Would McDonalds survive if they expected us to make the burgers ourself at their restaurants?

Last edited:

Trent242

Just wasted another 30 minutes trying to get through to Telkom Direct.
No joy.

I'll take a drive through to Port Elizabeth tomorrow.

Ironic, isn't it. Been with Webafrica for SO long, decided end of November to move away because my girls use so much bandwidth I'm constantly on a 1 star rating with WebAfrica. Telkom's "free Youtube", free phone calls to Telkom Mobile and Landline, as well as the LIT box deal made up my mind so I switched on the 4th of December to Telkom as my ISP.

How has my experience been?

Read above and read here : https://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php/930051-Telkom-DSL-keep-disconnecting

Suspect99

Executive Member
I'm still waiting for my box in Cape Town Kenilworth branch. From beginning of December. Went there today. No stock. And the sales lady said she didn't know when she'd get stock

freekee

I'm still waiting for my box in Cape Town Kenilworth branch. From beginning of December. Went there today. No stock. And the sales lady said she didn't know when she'd get stock

I was at Kenilworth on saturday and the lady said they had stock and she wanted to fetch it but never had time to signup. I checked with her twice as well to make sure. A friend also mentioned canal walk had stock.

MickeyD

RIP
No joy.

Ironic, isn't it. Been with Webafrica for SO long, decided end of November to move away because my girls use so much bandwidth I'm constantly on a 1 star rating with WebAfrica. Telkom's "free Youtube", free phone calls to Telkom Mobile and Landline, as well as the LIT box deal made up my mind so I switched on the 4th of December to Telkom as my ISP.

Read above and read here : https://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php/930051-Telkom-DSL-keep-disconnecting

Send me a PM and I'll send you a contat number.
PS. your PMs are disabled

Suspect99

Executive Member
I was at Kenilworth on saturday and the lady said they had stock and she wanted to fetch it but never had time to signup. I checked with her twice as well to make sure. A friend also mentioned canal walk had stock.
Sigh. Whyd they tell me theres no stock. Was this the direct or mobile store? Maybe I should rather speak to the manager rather than the sales lady

animehero

Expert Member

Sigh. Whyd they tell me theres no stock. Was this the direct or mobile store? Maybe I should rather speak to the manager rather than the sales lady

Act like you a new sign up.When they get the box tell them "oh wait you do have stock,here's my order number" :whistling:

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
No joy.

You should go on Wednesday when the parking at BW is free ;)

BTW the box ain't great. Rather spend the R600 and get a Roku Express from Amazon.

Trent242

I actually had a homebrew build running Kodi Krypton, but I installed Windows 7 on that so the girls can play Roblox. Only used it for Series/Movies and Youtube.

That's why I'm so keen to get the LIT box. Just for something to watch again!

Got a Celeron D laying around here... will do another Kodi pc once the budget allows for another graphics card.

Trent242

Well, that was a complete and utter waste of time and petrol.

Drove through to Telkom store Baywest, just to be told they don't have stock. The woman helping me, of course, thought it was the biggest joke that I'm actually expecting them to have stock. Every single TV in the place is busy advertising Telkom's LIT box deals.

Greenacres and Walmer Park don't have stock either.

I asked what is the complaints procedure.

"Go leave a complaint on one of our social media pages."

Trent242

This trip could of course have been avoided if the Telkom Direct Helpline was actually answered.

Telkom: A company whose entire business exists around the providing of telecommuncations. Yet they are unable to implement an efficiently functional call centre.