Beware Telegram location chat features in South Africa

LCBXX

Honorary Master
Although in this case, it is much more direct. Kid switch on location services, access dodgy and potential harmful groups instantly.

I am still of the believe that if you want to protect your kids, giving them a phone or access to social media at a young age is not a good idea, specially if one as a parent don't know how to monitor or teach them (cause many just don't).
What good/benefit can be had if a kid switches on, and uses, the Groups Nearby service?

konfab

Honorary Master
Although in this case, it is much more direct. Kid switch on location services, access dodgy and potential harmful groups instantly.
Kid goes to any web browser.
Types in www.4chan.org.
Gets access to the armpit of the internet.

Like I said, this isn't anything different.

konfab

Honorary Master
What good/benefit can be had if a kid switches on, and uses, the Groups Nearby service?
They won't have to be that much more technologically literate than their parents to do this.

RedViking

Nord of the South
Types in www.4chan.org.

That is the problem with Twitter. People only read a single tweet. However she talks about all of this and how to deal with it.

LCBXX

Honorary Master
Types in www.4chan.org.

They won't have to be that much more technologically literate than their parents to do this.
That's my issue with messages/advice like this from Sadleir. It hardly talks to the benefits that can be had with Groups Nearby, choosing to focus entirely on the dangers/risks of it alone.

She seems to have forgotten what it was like a kid/teen when you were told what you cannot or are forbidden to do.

Slegdehammer67

I'm using Telegram and have had no issues at all, to be honest. I think Whatsapp is just trying to stop a bush fire which THEY started at their own feet themselves and are now trying to put it out with a bucket of water...good luck.

These fukcers are part of Big Tech who are censoring people left-right-and-center. So, do I give a shti - nope.

grok

Honorary Master
I absolutely love the Telegram nearby feature, already discovered a weed seller closer than my regular dealer & a swingers club for those lonely nights..

Besides, what about a group name like 'Sluts of Randburg' made Emma think they're about exchanging muffin recipes? Don't click if its not your thing, Karen, you know.. just like everything else on the internet

Kola_CT

Expert Member
I have been to events where she was a speaker, she knows what she is talking about when it comes to law. Let me put it this way, I believe she will school most peeps here.
That is great, she should stick to giving legal advice then.

xrapidx

Honorary Master
There's a group in my area where people are happy peddling coke, e, weed, happy-ending services - its an amusing group to watch.

RaptorSA

Executive Member
Didn't even know about this feature until now.
It's great for getting to know the general person in the vicinity....

I'll be ordering in from now on and will only go out for emergencies when the sun is at its peak between 12 and 1PM.
There is no hope for this country.

Swa

Honorary Master
You are reading an "article" by the sensational media. Maybe just go look at and see exactly what she is doing.
Did you see her tweet? She compares Whatsapp and Telegram without saying the very thing both run on is far worse. That to me shows a bias. Also why now that people are actually abandoning Whatsapp?

I also don't see how she's an expert on social media law when up till recently there hasn't been any social media law and it's still up in the air if any of it will ultimately stick to the constitution.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
I absolutely love the Telegram nearby feature, already discovered a weed seller closer than my regular dealer & a swingers club for those lonely nights..

Besides, what about a group name like 'Sluts of Randburg' made Emma think they're about exchanging muffin recipes? Don't click if its not your thing, Karen, you know.. just like everything else on the internet

She is just warning parents who likely don't know about this (as some posters here didn't know of it by their own admission), the fact that you seemingly don't know that (basing that on your Karen statement), is the same as how parents likely won't know about this feature.

access

Honorary Master
So the same person said its cool feature on wechat?

So kids can't enable it?

Just a warning so that PARENTS know about it?

what?

did "the same person" carry on this much when wechat was launched here with its promoted "cool feature"

Natas

Expert Member
There's a group in my area where people are happy peddling coke, e, weed, happy-ending services - its an amusing group to watch.
Been trying really hard to find one of these groups where they "peddle" drugs...

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
Shame. Your kid has a device that has access to the internet and you think they will only find the pronz now that they have Telegram? For ****ing **** sakes people are dumb.

Gerry

That is great, she should stick to giving legal advice then.

I see a time when showing the exposed butthole of a cow will cause
a bigger PETA uproar, jam packed with their 'lawyers', than human
organ harvesting in china.

All these lawyers..

• Haha
Reactions: Swa

supersunbird

Honorary Master
what?

did "the same person" carry on this much when wechat was launched here with its promoted "cool feature"

What what?

Was this same person in this field in 2013 when wechat launched? Why did you not kill Hitler in 1920? (pfft at your "I wasn't born yet excuse") Were you doing the exact same job in 2013 that you are doing now? (no growth or development?)

Who even uses wechat? The Telegram thing would be a "current" topic do to Facebooks moronic actions, and people suddenly joining Telegram en masse.

I can't believe I have to explain these obvious things.

Anyway, if you are an expert, and want to warn uninformed parents about it, please contact media houses with your opinion and maybe they will publish you. If you don't want to do that, you don't.

Bismuth

Expert Member
People nearby feature, merely switch off your location services, or deny the app access to that feature, problem solved. In any case, that is off by default as confirmed by multiple posts in this thread.

People's idiocy/perversion is not the app developer's fault