BF2042 - There are local servers

BlackStatic

I opened the thread expecting to see an article or announcement.
Got the info from Tom Henderson, they obviously won't broadcast this so they don't lose pre-orders, shady bastards.

They were already going to shut down servers with BFV, but then COVID hit and they decided to let them run the course.

BlackStatic

Not an issue. Local servers for BF4 suck anyways. Dodgy and too much crap flying around in chat.

170ms ping for BF4/BV1/BF3 to Europe is fine for me at least.
Oh yeah, man, totally.

170ms is incredibly low and probably amazingly stable, even better, why not combine that with silky smooth 30fps and you're golden, I should pre order five copies now. The game should aslo run at 900p, your brain can't process anything above that resolution anyway.

The human eye can't see anything faster than 200ms anyway, so 170ms will be fantastic.

Damn, thanks JohnStarr, you're such a kiff legend on these forums, dude, amazing South African, wonderful gamer, good job, man.

flexi-grips.jpg

Last edited:

JohnStarr

Executive Member
Oh yeah, man, totally.

170ms is incredibly low and probably amazingly stable, even better, why not combine that with silky smooth 30fps and you're golden, I should pre order five copies now. The game should aslo run at 900p, your brain can't process anything above that resolution anyway.

The human eye can't see anything faster than 200ms anyway, so 170ms will be fantastic.

Damn, thanks JohnStarr, you're such a kiff legend on these forums, dude, amazing South African, wonderful gamer, good job, man.

View attachment 1156426
Wow...when your attempt at sarcasm falls flat on its face...try again son!

JohnStarr

Executive Member
Tom Henderson - Unofficial Head of Community Management at EA (https://twitter.com/_Tom_Henderson_)

...because the "Unofficial" part should say it all when it comes to the statement the OP made.

He either got trolled, read too much into what was told, or took it as rote we will get no local servers :D:D:D

cavedog

Honorary Master
EA has always had local servers on launch day but stop them later on when the game goes quiet. They even have local servers for Knockout City for example.

BlackStatic

EA has always had local servers on launch day but stop them later on when the game goes quiet. They even have local servers for Knockout City for example.
Which makes this especially disappointing, maybe the hardware cost to host this many players etc was just not worth it for SA.

I mean if you you read the thread, seems average local idiots can't tell the difference between 5ms and 170ms, so maybe it's okay for them business wise.

RunningFromFat

Expert Member
How is BF on high ping? PUBG and Overwatch was playable for me for example. Some people just see a high ping and immediately lose their minds.

JohnStarr

Executive Member
Which makes this especially disappointing, maybe the hardware cost to host this many players etc was just not worth it for SA.

I mean if you you read the thread, seems average local idiots can't tell the difference between 5ms and 170ms, so maybe it's okay for them business wise.
Probably hosted on Azure or AWS. No hardware costs involved. Just low numbers.

And that little childish dig at me...shame. You need to pump that attempt higher.

JohnStarr

Executive Member
How is BF on high ping? PUBG and Overwatch was playable for me for example. Some people just see a high ping and immediately lose their minds.
Fine, obviously not as good as the 40ms I normally have, but entirely playable to be honest. I get a 150ms ping to Brazil for BF3, but around 170ms to Europe for BF4/BF1. Probably do better there than here and the servers are always full, unlike here which pretty empty.

Not playing BF at the moment as I am finishing up Mass Effect: Legendary Edition, but will look to reinstall BF4 again at some stage.

RunningFromFat

Expert Member
Fine, obviously not as good as the 40ms I normally have, but entirely playable to be honest. I get a 150ms ping to Brazil for BF3, but around 170ms to Europe for BF4/BF1. Probably do better there than here and the servers are always full, unlike here which pretty empty.

Not playing BF at the moment as I am finishing up Mass Effect: Legendary Edition, but will look to reinstall BF4 again at some stage.
I was playing those games on adsl at 200ms and it was fine, so you fiber boys are definitely fine.

MidnightZA

Expert Member
I would take the higher ping and more populated servers anyway. I played BFV few months ago. There was only ever 1 or 2 games locally on PS4. If I wanted to queue with friends we had to start a new lobby and wait more than 20 to 30 min for it to fill up