BF2042 - There are local servers

BlackStatic

Ah hell, time for a new gaming laptop. My Geforce 600-range doesn't have the necessary drivers and apparently never will!
I don't know why the driver / card requirements are so hectic, the game looks like a beefed up BF4 to me, nothing overly crazy.

Runs really good on my Xbox Series S, and pretty good on my RX 5600, but again, it's nice graphics, but not going to floor you or anything.

JohnMao

Executive Member
I don't know why the driver / card requirements are so hectic, the game looks like a beefed up BF4 to me, nothing overly crazy.

Runs really good on my Xbox Series S, and pretty good on my RX 5600, but again, it's nice graphics, but not going to floor you or anything.
Probably pumped up with RTX capabilities. That little 670MX in my Asus can play BF3/BF4/BF1 with no hassles at all. It struggles with BFV, but then again I wasn't really impressed with that game at all anyways.
But this game looks good, so it's a shame, but I do understand the need to progress the tech behind the games. Just means I need to save for a new gaming laptop.

[XC] Oj101

Dealer
Yeah that image sent weird messaging, thankfully we've got some local hosting.

I wonder, if feedback is too negative, if they'd Cyberpunk the game and delay to 2022. I'm enjoying it for what it is, but I see lots of negative feedback over on EA Answers etc.
This will be the third BF I don't get, and I was a massive fan of the series. I have and have extensively played all from 1942 onwards (including expansions) other than Hardline and 5.

BF2 was epic, there was a SAIX server with three or four maps on rotation (I recall Strike at Karkand, Road to Jalalabad, Gulf of Oman and possibly Sharqi Peninsula?) which will probably remain my all-time favourite multiplayer experience - over 384k ADSL at that. Operation Flaming Dart in BF Vietnam over LAN is number two spot.

Bad Company 2 had some seriously awesome tropical maps (Leguna Presa and Valparaiso I think), BF3 possibly the best maps with Caspian Border, Grand Bazaar (my favourite map of the entire series), Noshahr Canals, Firestorm, Seine Crossing, etc), BF4 had a truly awesome Levolution in Flood Zone which completely changed the dynamic of the map (Zavod was also a cool map), but after that the series went south very quickly.

JohnMao

Executive Member
This will be the third BF I don't get, and I was a massive fan of the series. I have and have extensively played all from 1942 onwards (including expansions) other than Hardline and 5.

BF2 was epic, there was a SAIX server with three or four maps on rotation (I recall Strike at Karkand, Road to Jalalabad, Gulf of Oman and possibly Sharqi Peninsula?) which will probably remain my all-time favourite multiplayer experience - over 384k ADSL at that. Operation Flaming Dart in BF Vietnam over LAN is number two spot.

Bad Company 2 had some seriously awesome tropical maps (Leguna Presa and Valparaiso I think), BF3 possibly the best maps with Caspian Border, Grand Bazaar (my favourite map of the entire series), Noshahr Canals, Firestorm, Seine Crossing, etc), BF4 had a truly awesome Levolution in Flood Zone which completely changed the dynamic of the map (Zavod was also a cool map), but after that the series went south very quickly.
BF1 was fine. Not bad. Hated Hardline and I own the Premium version of that. Don't ask, it was supposed to be as good as BF4.
BFV ran like a hog on my laptop and I couldn't get my mind around the customization and lack of real historical accuracy in things.
But I did get back into BF3 (played it for a month before BF4 came out and then left it), and I really enjoyed that. Grand Bazaar on Rush is amazing!

BlackStatic

Very impressive CV, I've also played BF2 over janky ADSL on PC. Back then men were MEN, and friendly fire was always enabled!

What is it you don't like about BF2042? You know about BF Portal, right?

[XC] Oj101

Dealer
Very impressive CV, I've also played BF2 over janky ADSL on PC. Back then men were MEN, and friendly fire was always enabled!

What is it you don't like about BF2042? You know about BF Portal, right?
I played a ton with the guy who introduced me to Battlefield online - bloody hell he was amazing. He used to solo helicopters, and would even bail out, get a kill and hop back in.

Yes, friendly fire was a big thing. These days you have to play on an almost empty hardcore server if you want friendly fire.

There's nothing I don't like about BF2042 per se, just the series has been worsening with time.

It started with everyone on BF3 only playing Operation Metro and spamming grenades at choke points, then the same with BF4 and Operation Locker.

Many of the game dynamics also changed completely. In the older games you could have your last spawn point captured and be unable to respawn. Other than flags, you could only spawn on squad leaders, so if he went down you were shafted. I recall squads being 5-6 soldiers instead of 4, so you could have almost every class in a squad. Oh, and you could rename those squads. Alpha/Bravo/Charlie/Delta/Echo/Foxtrot doesn't tell anyone a damn thing, but "Air support" or "Front lines" tells you exactly what to expect.

Teamwork counted far more than running off on your own - BF4 was terrible with people sprinting to a tank and disappearing with it alone even though it could seat more people.

These days you can get to the top of the leaderboard with a terrible K/D ratio (or even rank close to the top without getting a single kill or capture) simply by reviving people in the line of fire, dropping support packs at choke points, spraying bullets and hoping to get a few hits which count as a kill assist, running past a flag last minute to get a capture assist (more on this in a sec). It really feels as though skill and strategising have been replaced with spamming an item (not weapon) of your choice.

Capturing spawn points used to rely VERY heavily on teamwork. In the newer games, you have people camping outside of the capture zone until it's just about captured, and then they run in to get an assist at the last second, leaving you to be cannon fodder with zero support until.

Many other smaller points as well. I'm not a fan of auto regenerating health. The commander in BF2 was actually bloody useful. Run-and-gun has become a feasible and acceptable tactic, whereas in the past it was a guaranteed 0 KDR and a position close to (if not at) the bottom of the leaderboard.

On the topic of running, you had limited stamina and couldn't just sprint your way out of any sticky situation.

The unlocks are stupid - when you're a few days behind everyone else you stand very little chance against their overpower (relatively speaking) weapons and loadout. Hell, the highest scorer can be someone with few kills and on the team that got their asses completely decimated.

3D spotting is pretty poo, I know it isn't in hardcore but then the hardcore servers are 99% empty.

Classes (all seven of them) used to be vastly different and you were basically required to have them all in a game as oppossed to everyone just playing medic (assault) and support. You can now pick a single class and dominate as a one man army. Hell, as a single soldier with just a liiiiiiittle bit of care you can take out a tank most of the time.

If people aren't spamming items (medpacks/amo packs/revives/repairs), you'll find that people are playing the class which SHOULD do one of the above but has equipped an RPG of sorts intead of the item which would actually, you know, help the team. Someone playing assualt without medpacks or defibs does nothing for the team. Someone playing support without ammo packs does nothing for the team. Etc.

The older games had one or two bad maps as opposed to one or two great maps. It's sort of like when we used to buy tapes/CDs for that ONE song we liked, and we'd try to enjoy the rest of the album because we'd paid for it. That's the best way I can describe the maps on the newer games. Sure, some of the newer games have had some of my favourite maps, but it's one or two in that particular game with me often calling it a night when the server switched to one of the 80% of not so great maps.

TL;DR, the game has evolved into something completely different and I'm no longer a fan of it. It caters for the lowest common denominator (and the community which made it absolutely epic is probably too old for games these days).

StoneCold

Expert Member
Played about 5 matches or so and I quite like it. As a person who first started with BF2142 back in the day in the Battlefield franchise with 384k ADSL, I can see myself playing this almost as much as 2142. I loved BF2 also, BF3 somewhat and never really played Hardline, BF4, BF1 or BFV.

The scale of the MAP is incredible with regards to the size of the buildings, the rocket, the tunnel running underneath the rocket etc. Saw someone on the Steam community forums for BF2042 mention that the map feels TOO big and should maybe cater for even a higher player count. Although, I have to say that I didn't really struggle to find targets with 128 players as I ran around from one sector to the next.

The game looks incredible and runs smooth as butter, really glad I installed a new SSD yesterday, just in time for the beta, lol as the load times are quite good with the game as well. The graphics, sounds, gunfire etc, is top notch and I really love the weapon customization features without having to do it via a menu system. Love it when the storm rolls in and was in awe when I saw my first tornado, I just had to run right into. It propelled me higher than planes and helicopters and I could shoot down on them, which I thought was quite rad.

I can imagine the tornadoes will become tedious after a while if you've seen about 5-10 times. But I guess they'll only randomize it so that it doesn't frequently happen. Either way, it still looks cool with the wind and rain, the trees, bushes, grass moving in the wind, truly epic stuff to behold. Looking forward to see the other maps and would love to try BF portal with some bots in custom scenarios.

Soul Assassin

Honorary Master
You're the only person out of many many comments I read and streams I watched that says it runs smooth as butter.

Some of the specs I saw were 5900x with a 3080 getting 120FPS, 9900K with a 2080Ti at 90FPS and someone with a 10900K and 3090 getting 130FPS.

Edit: also the only person I saw say the audio is good, everything I read people say the guns sound weak, they feel like they have no weight at all.

StoneCold

Expert Member
You're the only person out of many many comments I read and streams I watched that says it runs smooth as butter.

Some of the specs I saw were 5900x with a 3080 getting 120FPS, 9900K with a 2080Ti at 90FPS and someone with a 10900K and 3090 getting 130FPS.

Edit: also the only person I saw say the audio is good, everything I read people say the guns sound weak, they feel like they have no weight at all.

Yeah, also saw a lot of people saying having not so good performance with 3090's etc. I have a 3070, playing in 1440p, High settings at 144Hz and having no slowdowns or lag (i7 8700k, not overclocked). I don't know hey, I like the in-game sounds. The weapons sound 100x better than CoD Vanguard's guns which are EXTREMELY soft. I put the audio on the "War Tapes" audio mixer and I dig it.

BlackStatic

Yeah, also saw a lot of people saying having not so good performance with 3090's etc. I have a 3070, playing in 1440p, High settings at 144Hz and having no slowdowns or lag (i7 8700k, not overclocked). I don't know hey, I like the in-game sounds. The weapons sound 100x better than CoD Vanguard's guns which are EXTREMELY soft. I put the audio on the "War Tapes" audio mixer and I dig it.
I'm also enjoying this beta a LOT, it seems the younger people aren't though, all these kids brains are hopped up on Monster and Call of Duty.

I REALLY like tactical sprint, the double tap sprint, I think that's genius, and I love that you can aim down sight while reloading, such a nice feel to it (Even though they stole all of this from Call of Duty, LOL). I don't understand the hate the beta is getting, but I guess I'll be biased towards Battlefield because I'm just such a sucker for the franchise.

I'm very excited for the Portal thing too, it sounds incredibly ambitious.

BlackStatic

Also, CHECK THIS OUT, someone discovered this thanks to an ultra wide screen bug, some of you old school BF guys will recognize some familiar faces down here. :D

widescreen_bug.JPG

[XC] Oj101

Dealer

Performance seems all over the place. I've seen reports of a 10900K + 3080 getting 90 FPS with stuttering at 1440p, as well as an unknown CPU with a 6700 XT 85 FPS without stuttering at 1440p.

killerbyte

Expert Member
I played a few games last night.

Before succumbing to DICE's praise kink allow me to list the issues I had (this is a beta so I am hoping these issues will be fixed).
1. In the 5/6 games I played I had two crashes to desktop.
2. Lack of a server browser means you are at the mercy of the MM system. Sometimes I ended up on an SA server with a pink of 22ms and other times ended up on an EU server (I assume) with a pink of 150ms.

Now onto the things I loved!
I am a chopper guy so flying over an area that I am peppering with rockets only to hear these massive explosions just put a smile on my face.
The aircrafts generally feel different to BF4, a little unwieldy. But after an hour or so I got used to them and was able to have a ton of fun.
The EU servers seem to be full of bots but the SA servers have a lot of players which does present more of a challenge, but it feels like you require to do a lot more damage

So far I am enjoying it, and hey its my bday weekend so I deserve to enjoy the franchise that I have loved since BF1942. And since we are dropping our credentials... I have played BF1942, BF Vietnam, BF2, BF2142, BF3, BF4 and now BF2042 (BF 1 and BF 5 did not appeal to me).

[XC] Oj101

Dealer
So far I am enjoying it, and hey its my bday weekend so I deserve to enjoy the franchise that I have loved since BF1942. And since we are dropping our credentials... I have played BF1942, BF Vietnam, BF2, BF2142, BF3, BF4 and now BF2042 (BF 1 and BF 5 did not appeal to me).
Same nickname? I'm pretty sure I played with/against you quite a lot on BF3/4. FlyingSuicide.

[XC] Oj101

Dealer
Yeah, I play under the same name. Did I kill you more than you killed me? If so then I like you, if not then I hate you. :)
Depends which game it was. If it was BF3, I played on whichever server had Grand Bazaar in its rotation at the time. If it was BF4, most of the time the Mweb Lockers 24/7 was normally the only server that wasn't empty and I would have gotten you with a good number of M320 headshots :p

Someone posted my stats in Post 24, I had 109% accuracy with the M320 xD +/- 400 M320 headshots is pretty funny, many were at 80m or further.

Haha, from the next post I see my accuracy went up to 112%.

killerbyte

Expert Member
Depends which game it was. If it was BF3, I played on whichever server had Grand Bazaar in its rotation at the time. If it was BF4, most of the time the Mweb Lockers 24/7 was normally the only server that wasn't empty and I would have gotten you with a good number of M320 headshots :p

Someone posted my stats in Post 24, I had 109% accuracy with the M320 xD +/- 400 M320 headshots is pretty funny, many were at 80m or further.

Haha, from the next post I see my accuracy went up to 112%.
HAHA, noob tube spammer!
I live in aircraft, so my infantry skills are lacking.