BF2042 - There are local servers

[XC] Oj101

Dealer
HAHA, noob tube spammer!
I live in aircraft, so my infantry skills are lacking.
I never actually spammed it. My accuracy wouldn't be that high if I did :p I was just f-off accurate with lightning fast reactions.

That was six years ago. I fired up a bit of Quake 3 a few months ago, my reaction time has gotten TERRIBLE with age and I'm only slightly north of 30.

Funny how your body and lifestyle change in a similar way with age. Ten years ago I was as likely to kill you in a game as I was to kill myself in real life by being stupid :ROFL: These days I evidentally suck at games and I stopped taking stupid chances long ago.

Beyond.Celsus

Expert Member
I can't play battlefield anymore.
Tried Battlefield 4 again last month, but after all the Engineer nerfs the game is unplayable.

The OP tanks and Heli's rock up, decimate everything not also in a tank, one nerfed hit from a RPG that does almost no damage, they activate their super realistic invincible button, run away, wait to magically repair themselves and their superman perk to refresh then come back, regurgitate and repeat.

It is a frustratingly annoying experience. The moment there is a good infantry firefight a heli rocks up, blows everything to shart and spoils everyone's fun.

And don't even start on the snipers. There you are trying to cap points while one half of the team is waiting for their precious vehicles to respawn and the other half camped on a hill somewhere with a sniper, not covering you, but shooting into the enemy spawn.

Battlefield 1 was great. The aircraft is as annoying and overpowered as always, but the tanks weren't invincible wrecking balls and snipers are a lot easier to flank as they don't have magic detection devices and flir scopes.
Shame it's dead now.

Hard pass on the new one as I feel it is going back to the battlefield 4 formula of OP vehicles.

killerbyte

Expert Member
I never actually spammed it. My accuracy wouldn't be that high if I did :p I was just f-off accurate with lightning fast reactions.

That was six years ago. I fired up a bit of Quake 3 a few months ago, my reaction time has gotten TERRIBLE with age and I'm only slightly north of 30.

Funny how your body and lifestyle change in a similar way with age. Ten years ago I was as likely to kill you in a game as I was to kill myself in real life by being stupid :ROFL: These days I evidentally suck at games and I stopped taking stupid chances long ago.
Yeah, tomorrow I am officially on the south side of 40. And my reaction times have gotten bad over the years, and these little shits with haven't started to shave yet just kick my ass.

Nirv

I'm hoping this one's good. Only going to start playing the beta from tomorrow. I played BF1942, BF2, BF3 and BF4, competitively in BF3 and 4. I've heard very mixed opinions (game trash, game good, vehicles OP, vehicles weak) so not sure what to expect yet.

I'm considering paying for EA Play to get 10hrs access to it after launch to compare to the beta and go from there.

[XC] Oj101

Dealer
And don't even start on the snipers. There you are trying to cap points while one half of the team is waiting for their precious vehicles to respawn and the other half camped on a hill somewhere with a sniper, not covering you, but shooting into the enemy spawn.
I had one very memorable experience on BFBC2 with snipers. The map was Laguna Presa and a handful of snipers were overrunning the game and sapping the fun out of it. I dropped a message on chat (both teams) to smoke out the map. Everyone started spamming smoke grenades everywhere, and within a few minutes all the snipers had left the match. We continued to have a very enjoyable round after that :D

Beyond.Celsus

Expert Member
I had one very memorable experience on BFBC2 with snipers. The map was Laguna Presa and a handful of snipers were overrunning the game and sapping the fun out of it. I dropped a message on chat (both teams) to smoke out the map. Everyone started spamming smoke grenades everywhere, and within a few minutes all the snipers had left the match. We continued to have a very enjoyable round after that :D
Doesn't work in games like BF4
They just equip FLIR scopes. So in a smoked out map you can't see them, but they can see you.

Brawler

Honorary Master
Meh. Not doing it for me. Perhaps I am just over the franchise.
I know it's just a beta but the stutter (and low fps) puts me off playing on the ground and the jets are potatoes.

The_Imp_ZA

Anyone actually able to get into local servers? I seem to be only getting EU ones (170ms).

The game looks visually amazing and runs great on my rig (GTX1080, Ryzen 1700x 16GB 3200Mhz RAM, 2TB SSD). Last time I played BFV it was a stuttery mess so I'm glad they fixed that in 2042.

BlackStatic

Anyone actually able to get into local servers? I seem to be only getting EU ones (170ms).

The game looks visually amazing and runs great on my rig (GTX1080, Ryzen 1700x 16GB 3200Mhz RAM, 2TB SSD). Last time I played BFV it was a stuttery mess so I'm glad they fixed that in 2042.
Yeah I've been jamming locals all the time now, not sure how you're even getting to EU? What's your ISP/connection type?

Sounds like they're using AWS, and I think the server is located in Cape Town because I'm getting around 25ms from Free State, so just guessing here.

BlackStatic

Meh. Not doing it for me. Perhaps I am just over the franchise.
I know it's just a beta but the stutter (and low fps) puts me off playing on the ground and the jets are potatoes.
I think it'll be worth it just for Portal alone, being able to spin up on demand servers of older BF assets in a modern engine while having Crossplay is going to be insane.

JohnMao

Executive Member
I can't play battlefield anymore.
Tried Battlefield 4 again last month, but after all the Engineer nerfs the game is unplayable.

The OP tanks and Heli's rock up, decimate everything not also in a tank, one nerfed hit from a RPG that does almost no damage, they activate their super realistic invincible button, run away, wait to magically repair themselves and their superman perk to refresh then come back, regurgitate and repeat.

It is a frustratingly annoying experience. The moment there is a good infantry firefight a heli rocks up, blows everything to shart and spoils everyone's fun.

Battlefield 1 was great. The aircraft is as annoying and overpowered as always, but the tanks weren't invincible wrecking balls and snipers are a lot easier to flank as they don't have magic detection devices and flir scopes.
Shame it's dead now.

Hard pass on the new one as I feel it is going back to the battlefield 4 formula of OP vehicles.
Look for Infantry-only maps. They do exist.

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
I'm hoping this one's good. Only going to start playing the beta from tomorrow. I played BF1942, BF2, BF3 and BF4, competitively in BF3 and 4. I've heard very mixed opinions (game trash, game good, vehicles OP, vehicles weak) so not sure what to expect yet.

I'm considering paying for EA Play to get 10hrs access to it after launch to compare to the beta and go from there.
SSG Nirv?

Nirv

SSG Nirv?
Nah, puLse-Nirv. It confused a lot of guys back in BF3/BF4, and SSG Nirv played same role in SSG as I did in Pulse, IIRC (tank/engi/scout heli pilot). I think he changed his nick to Niirv or similar.

wir

Looks like game is currently releasing.

Anyone able to confirm whether there are local servers?

StoneCold

Expert Member
Looks like game is currently releasing.

Anyone able to confirm whether there are local servers?

Well, the open beta had local servers, so I believe there will be local servers for the full game too (at least for the "All-Out Warfare / Conquest" portion.

One leaked article I read on reddit mentioned that that there won't be any local servers (data centers) for the Portal portion of the game in our region. If this is true, I can't confirm. Guess I need to fire up that 10 hour trial (via EA Play) and see for myself as I was too cheap skate to buy the game on Origin or Steam, my key will only be here next week Thursday / Friday :ROFL:

EDIT: Trial download will be done in about 30 mins, will fire it up and see if there is local servers for all the modes and report back (if someone else doesn't before me) :)

Last edited: