BF2042 - There are local servers

StoneCold

Expert Member
Okay, I can confirm, hosting a BF Portal custom server does allocate the server locally, so we're ready to rock n roll :D

There is one local Portal match up and running at present, I hosted another on Caspian Border just to see if it works, and I have 25ms latency. Also, Portal does include a built-in server browser, so it makes it quite easy to spot and see. Initially when I wanted to host a Portal server it gave me an error saying something about "world game quota exceeded", but I think they'll spin up some more servers as the load increases throughout the day for everyone that wants to host their own game :cool: . Have to say, this is really amazing to say the least,now everyone can start their own custom match to their own liking, huge win!

Last edited:

wir

Okay, I can confirm, hosting a BF Portal custom server does allocate the server locally, so we're ready to rock n roll :D

There is one local Portal match up and running at present, I hosted another on Caspian Border just to see if it works, and I have 25ms latency. Also, Portal does include a built-in server browser, so it makes it quite easy to spot and see. Initially when I wanted to host a Portal server it gave me an error saying something about "world game quota exceeded", but I think they'll spin up some more servers as the load increases throughout the day for everyone that wants to host their own game :cool: . Have to say, this is really amazing to say the least,now everyone can start their own custom match to their own liking, huge win!
Great to know, thank you!

Off-The-Chart

Expert Member
Have to say, this is really amazing to say the least,now everyone can start their own custom match to their own liking, huge win!

so instead of 128 players joining a single server to just have fun, you will have 128 separate custom servers with 1 player each :p :D

have to say, they should not have messed with the usual BF style of classes tbh

also, no scoreboard at the end? SAY WHAT? HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO CHECK ALL THE HARD WORK I JUST DID?
(sniping from the main spawn obviously :p )

also not liking that every single game you swap squads and have yet to find how I can leave any squad and just Rambo it :(

BlackStatic

Well my trial is done, really enjoyed it! Hope to run into some money before Christmas, will definitely try to get it.

Off-The-Chart

Expert Member
those that have tried doing their own Portal server, want to know:

do you set how XP is gained?

out of 2 I have played on, it didn't seem like it is being calculated normally/at all

I think this is going to become the way forward as this non-persistent way is just getting annoying as hell

sitting, waiting and not even knowing how long you will have to wait for since you can't see a player list while waiting and then in the end, half the server is probably filled with AI

not to mention, map rotation is basically dead because every time a 'new' server is started up, it basically restarts the 'rotation'

1 thing so far is the way to change between accessories for you weapons which is a win and do like that they put it at a 3 max

StoneCold

Expert Member
those that have tried doing their own Portal server, want to know:

do you set how XP is gained?

out of 2 I have played on, it didn't seem like it is being calculated normally/at all

I think this is going to become the way forward as this non-persistent way is just getting annoying as hell

sitting, waiting and not even knowing how long you will have to wait for since you can't see a player list while waiting and then in the end, half the server is probably filled with AI

not to mention, map rotation is basically dead because every time a 'new' server is started up, it basically restarts the 'rotation'

1 thing so far is the way to change between accessories for you weapons which is a win and do like that they put it at a 3 max

I believe they disabled/reduced how much XP is gained from Portal servers seeing that some already used it to abuse XP gain (there are quick XP gain servers if you look closely in the browser).

Go to portal.battlefield.com and configure your own Portal experience there (it will then show up in the portal game menu for you to select) instead of hosting a custom one via the game. Then you can set all the features you'd like, for example you can disable the AI, set spawn timers, set up if it should be BF1942 one the team vs BF3 soldiers on the other (things like that).

I for one love playing against the AI, don't care so much for real multiplayer, so last night I played BF1942 on both sides (AI with me against AI team on hardest AI difficulty) on Arica Harbour and boy, that was a blast for me to play with M1 Garand's and Kar98 headshots on the menu. AI on hardest difficulty play quite good with vehicles too and are deadly accurate with the bazookas :D

It would have been awesome to play it offline because if the "world server quota is exceeded" you can't create your own Portal server, but still, love the fact that we can mix and match different BF's with each other. No doubt they'll add more maps (and hopefully a BF 2142 template too at some point), so I'm looking forward to see what the future holds for the portal aspect of the game :)

Off-The-Chart

Expert Member
I believe they disabled/reduced how much XP is gained from Portal servers seeing that some already used it to abuse XP gain (there are quick XP gain servers if you look closely in the browser).

Go to portal.battlefield.com and configure your own Portal experience there (it will then show up in the portal game menu for you to select) instead of hosting a custom one via the game. Then you can set all the features you'd like, for example you can disable the AI, set spawn timers, set up if it should be BF1942 one the team vs BF3 soldiers on the other (things like that).

I for one love playing against the AI, don't care so much for real multiplayer, so last night I played BF1942 on both sides (AI with me against AI team on hardest AI difficulty) on Arica Harbour and boy, that was a blast for me to play with M1 Garand's and Kar98 headshots on the menu. AI on hardest difficulty play quite good with vehicles too and are deadly accurate with the bazookas :D

It would have been awesome to play it offline because if the "world server quota is exceeded" you can't create your own Portal server, but still, love the fact that we can mix and match different BF's with each other. No doubt they'll add more maps (and hopefully a BF 2142 template too at some point), so I'm looking forward to see what the future holds for the portal aspect of the game :)

ah, someone did mention it in-game that it was being abused :(
(it is as if this is what to expect in everything these days. people trying to abuse something for 'enjoyment')

lol, I already rage enough with HUMAN players that 180 degree turn when I shoot them and they just 2 shot me, now I have to deal with AI that, even just shooting in their general direction, makes them do an instant 180 turn (not even a turn and then, oops I turned to far let me turn back a bit) and then 1 shots you :crying:

yeah, I watched a guy playing last night: had a Portal set up that was almost like GUN MODE, but here you just spawn with a random weapon each time, and then you have to kill the enemy VIP

played it on Arica with his side what looked like 1942 classics and then enemy had BC2

StoneCold

Expert Member
ah, someone did mention it in-game that it was being abused :(
(it is as if this is what to expect in everything these days. people trying to abuse something for 'enjoyment')

lol, I already rage enough with HUMAN players that 180 degree turn when I shoot them and they just 2 shot me, now I have to deal with AI that, even just shooting in their general direction, makes them do an instant 180 turn (not even a turn and then, oops I turned to far let me turn back a bit) and then 1 shots you :crying:

yeah, I watched a guy playing last night: had a Portal set up that was almost like GUN MODE, but here you just spawn with a random weapon each time, and then you have to kill the enemy VIP

played it on Arica with his side what looked like 1942 classics and then enemy had BC2

That sounds like the featured "VIP Fiesta" game mode that they punted as part of the marketing videos for portal created by the streamer CourageJD.

Yeah, the AI can be quite hectic with their deadly aim, but man, I guess its just me that enjoys playing against bots. One nearly ran over me last night with a jeep down a set of stairs, I was like "WTF!? did that bot just do that!?" I had a good laugh. Its complete chaos with the destruction, can't wait to try it on Battle of the Bulge.

I only preordered the standard edition via cdkeys.com back in the day when it was available for R680, but playing the EA Play Trial at present. I only get like 1 hour a day to play at night these days, so my 10 hours (have about 7 left) will last me until the game unlocks on Friday :D

FlyingTank

Might come on special tomorrow or the christmas period on steam.

Not too interested right now it seems 4gb vram struggles

theratman

Honorary Master
I've been sinking most of my spare time into this. It's definitely got it's flaws but I'm getting those BF4 vibes and having a blast.

Sukkafool

If i could kill absolutely anything I would be enjoying it a lot more. I have come to realise that I am simply terrible at it and its making it a really frustrating experience. Yes, I know the problem is me...still.

theratman

Honorary Master
If i could kill absolutely anything I would be enjoying it a lot more. I have come to realise that I am simply terrible at it and its making it a really frustrating experience. Yes, I know the problem is me...still.
I thought I was going to be terrible as I don't play many FPS games online or at all these days, but I'm doing ok, just needed to play smarter. I'm playing mostly assault with SMG, which imo needs a serious nerf.

killerbyte

Expert Member
I thought I was going to be terrible as I don't play many FPS games online or at all these days, but I'm doing ok, just needed to play smarter. I'm playing mostly assault with SMG, which imo needs a serious nerf.
I am trying to upgrade the attack chopper but its not easy getting kills.

theratman

Honorary Master
I am trying to upgrade the attack chopper but its not easy getting kills.
I'm staying far away from vehicles for now, I'm like a SA taxi driver on those hovercrafts. I tried flying the helos and found it pretty tough to kill anything, much easier as a passenger but I'm not sure if you earn XP towards the vehicle.

killerbyte

Expert Member
I'm staying far away from vehicles for now, I'm like a SA taxi driver on those hovercrafts. I tried flying the helos and found it pretty tough to kill anything, much easier as a passenger but I'm not sure if you earn XP towards the vehicle.
I have been flying choppers since BF: Vietnam, so its what I love doing.

LinuxMan

Expert Member
So the big question, is it worth buying?
I'm a long time BF4 fan.

Steam:
ALL REVIEWS:
Mostly Negative (46,676)

Last edited:

Stevewarren

So the big question, is it worth buying?
I'm a long time BF4 fan.

Steam:
ALL REVIEWS:
Mostly Negative (46,676)
It probably will be after some updates. Game is super buggy but there are moments where it's pure battlefield chaos which is fun.
The bugs are ridiculous though. If you have a PC I would get a month of EA Play for R200 to see if you enjoy it.