Biased Motoring journalists / authors

Colin62

Executive Member
The magazine appeals to the masses to get sales.
From the ‘70s until 2003 I collected every issue of Car magazine. As a teenager, my dad would buy them and I’d keep them and as an adult I subscribed for many years. I used to read every article over the course of the month, until one day I realised I just couldn’t be bothered anymore, and haven’t bought one since. I’m not saying it was entirely the magazine - my priorities changed over time too, but it’s certainly not the magazine that it used to be.

nazmo

From the ‘70s until 2003 I collected every issue of Car magazine. As a teenager, my dad would buy them and I’d keep them and as an adult I subscribed for many years. I used to read every article over the course of the month, until one day I realised I just couldn’t be bothered anymore, and haven’t bought one since. I’m not saying it was entirely the magazine - my priorities changed over time too, but it’s certainly not the magazine that it used to be.
Same here. Stopped about a decade ago buying every month. I remember the haydays of superboss reviews or gli vs dohc and all sorts of awesome content.

asshat99

Car mag once published a reader letter accusing them of VW bias. They responded saying that have no particular bias in favour of VW but that they 'greatly admired their solid engineering'. This was in the middle of the dieselgate, oil consumption, FSI carbon build up, turbo failure scandals.

What solid engineering? Where does it show?

nazmo

Car mag once published a reader letter accusing them of VW bias. They responded saying that have no particular bias in favour of VW but that they 'greatly admired their solid engineering'. This was in the middle of the dieselgate, oil consumption, FSI carbon build up, turbo failure scandals.

What solid engineering? Where does it show?
oil consumption - yep, experienced this
fsi carbon build up - yep
and piston 3 boom - yep....

Irony of it all, wife still drives one, hahahahaa. they make very nice cars. but they are not the gold standard.

L-Dog

Currently buying carmag as I am looking to buy a new car at the end off the year. Will pay attention if I see any Bias but there isn't really an alternative I am aware of? Are there any truly independent websites that do legit reviews in SA?

nazmo

Currently buying carmag as I am looking to buy a new car at the end off the year. Will pay attention if I see any Bias but there isn't really an alternative I am aware of? Are there any truly independent websites that do legit reviews in SA?
I pretty much used Youtube as my primary source of research for my last 2 vehicle purchases

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Not sure why you would use carmag as a resource when researching a car to buy?

Surely you have a budget in mind... then the rest can be found on the Interwebs for free.... and it will be better quality than the snot that Carmag produce.

Colin62

Executive Member
How many months or years will you need to go through before you’ve got the review on each of the models you’re considering?

And even then, the review will be about the top of the range model, and all I can afford is the entry level, so who cares how well that goes when the one I test drive has a different engine and suspension.

L-Dog

Well I bought the previous 2 issues and might buy another 1 if there is a review for a car I am considering. The magazine seems pretty decent to me and the end has a summary of all the cars available, alternatives, specs and pricing. I will then research or YouTube those options. Colin62 that is my problem and I find it extremely frustrating but if i look at all the youtube video almost no one reviews the entry level cars.

nazmo

Well I bought the previous 2 issues and might buy another 1 if there is a review for a car I am considering. The magazine seems pretty decent to me and the end has a summary of all the cars available, alternatives, specs and pricing. I will then research or YouTube those options. Colin62 that is my problem and I find it extremely frustrating but if i look at all the youtube video almost no one reviews the entry level cars.

Just ask this forum for review/opinion of the car you like. Im sure it will be unbiased

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Once again W24:

Vrr-Pah! Here's a quick look at our hot hatch long-termer: VW Golf 7.5 GTI

Volkswagen's iconic Golf GTI, has set the standard for hot hatches since 1976. The Golf GTI, currently in 7.5-generation guise, remains one of the best-selling hot hatches globally.

Wheels24 has acquired a Volkswagen Golf GTI 2.0 TSI DSG as our long-term test vehicle.

The 'Tungsten Silver' metallic hot hatch has fit right in our garage and despite being launched more than two years ago, it's amazing to see how many heads this car turns.

Under the bonnet lies a 1984cc TSI engine delivering 169kW (4700 to 6200rpm) and 350Nm (1500 to 4600rpm). The engine is mated to the well-known and well-loved 6-speed DSG.

https://www.wheels24.co.za/NewModels/vrr-pah-heres-a-quick-look-at-our-hot-hatch-long-termer-vw-golf-75-gti-20190429

lol :unsure:

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
In certain suburbs...
The only suburbs these would turn heads are the suburbs where there are 2 on every corner, so the only reason people are turning their heads is to see which idiot is driving this specific one.

SkippyRamirez

Expert Member
Turns heads? Yea, only to get the twat who's driving its attention to gooi him a middle finger for driving like a twat.