Biased Motoring journalists / authors

asshat99

Fundamental design does not equate to (build) quality. It may be a "quality fundamental design", but the execution in building thereof may suck.

Why would a rear view mirror cause wind noise? If that's the case, then a vehicle has serious design issues. Side view mirrors might cause excessive wind noise. And the quality (e.g. poorly designed or worn plastic mold) of it might actually cause wind noise.
Exactly - 'poorly designed' is not the same as 'build quality'. They say 'build quality' when they mean 'design'. A badly designed mirror is usually built perfectly. The build is seldomly the problem - and if it was, they need to be able to say why and how instead of trying to sound fancy by saying 'perceived build quality'.

Perception of the author. That's what they do day in and out, so in theory they should have experience to subjectively form an opinion on a vehicle. It is definitely opinion, but should match what the majority of vehicle owners perceive. There will always be edge cases and exceptions.
Obviously.But if they don't state what their perceptions, standards and experiences are, then it is useless to use fluffy words like 'solid', 'quality' and 'suffice' and 'fun to drive'. Surely any course in writing (or just common sense) teach that to these 'journalists'? As above, nobody has any idea of how big that boot is. Can it carry a pram? But we know it is 'suffice'. Soo valuable.

As above, your 'fun to drive' car and my 'fun to drive' cars are very very different. If the 'journalist' can't say what it finds 'fun' then it should rather not bother.

asshat99

At the end if the day it is just an opinion, there are no standards, it is just an opinion based on the experience of the journalist, that's it.
Surely common sense would suggest that a journalist would state its standards, or justify its opinions? What is 'suffice'? Can it carry a bike? Who knows! It is 'Suffice'! Job done!

kripstoe

Expert Member
If the 'journalist' can't say what it finds 'fun' then it should rather not bother.
Well, that would then be a very boring magazine. Often I don't agree with journalists on their car reviews. Does it bother me? No. Does it make me not want to try something for myself? No. Does it stop people buying French cars? No.

I honestly don't really see the point in complaining about the opinions other people have on metal boxes with wheels painted in different colours.

asshat99

Well, that would then be a very boring magazine. Often I don't agree with journalists on their car reviews. Does it bother me? No. Does it make me not want to try something for myself? No. Does it stop people buying French cars? No.

I honestly don't really see the point in complaining about the opinions other people have on metal boxes with wheels painted in different colours.
How is it boring to describe what your standards are? Less boring than saying every car is 'fun to drive' when it clearly is not? They are literally following a template of what they think should be in a review. Literally know nothing extra about the car for reading it - except that it is 'suffice'. Is this not boring for you?

If you could read, you would understand I have no problems with people's opinions - that is the point of the review. The problem (obviously) is that they don't actually give an opinion because they hide behind meaningless terms like 'perceived build quality', 'solid', 'fun to drive' and 'suffice' instead of saying something that might offend the advertisers. Really not boring at all - right? No 'journalist' in SA would give a strong opinion against french cars for fear of offending someone. Maybe that is why they are still sold despite being an objectively poor buying proposition. You won't read that in one of your not-boring template magazines. Do they even say something to disagree with? What are you finding to 'often disagree' with? That mahindra review could have been about a corolla. Or a picanto. Or any generic car. These reviews are designed to say as little as possible, to be as inoffensive as possible and to keep the advertisers happy. That is all.

This is why pseudo-motoring journalists like jeremy clarkson and the youtube channels are now more important than these inoffensive magazines - despite their questionable quality. They actually give an opinion and show what they mean when they talk about 'fun to drive' or 'suffice'. Much less boring.

It is hilarious how you are proud not to be offended by these vanilla say-nothing reviews!

A 'journalist' expressing an opinion requires a bit more than saying the car is 'suffice' and that is has 'good perceived build quality'. But that would be boring lol.

Last edited:

stroller

Expert Member
And you never ever made a mistake while rebuilding an engine. Right.
I have made some errors but never have I rebuilt a four cylinder and only did three cylinders.
I'm talking about the most basic of basic technical information.
Only a fecking idiot or ignoramus would say that an engine has a timing belt if the engine has a timing chain.

Referring to my first sentence above:
Car magazine publishes a fact that an Ignis has a three cylinder engine.
AND in the subsequent edition chooses not to correct the error.

Their "perceived quality" has gone for a ball of shyte.

asshat99

I have made some errors but never have I rebuilt a four cylinder and only did three cylinders.
I'm talking about the most basic of basic technical information.
Only a fecking idiot or ignoramus would say that an engine has a timing belt if the engine has a timing chain.

Referring to my first sentence above:
Car magazine publishes a fact that an Ignis has a three cylinder engine.
AND in the subsequent edition chooses not to correct the error.

Their "perceived quality" has gone for a ball of shyte.
No, when producing a magazine - even a technical magazine (which this is not), getting one number wrong in thousands is far less serious than the mistakes you made while rebuilding engines. Sorry it has triggered you so.

Making an error like doing only 3 cylinders of a 4 cylinder car for a magazine like this would be forgetting to put on a front page or leaving out an advert. Getting one number wrong (that really doesn't break anything) about a boring car is pretty minor. Calm down. You can get excited when you are perfect.

stroller

Expert Member
If you think that is acceptable to tell readers that a car has a three cylinder engine when it has four cylinders and that a car has a cambelt and not a cam chain then OK.
I don't think so.

Craig

Honorary Master
Maybe im misreading. but FiestaST actively posts articles on multiple threads, especially related to current motoring news/reviews/videos to keep this forum active. There is always something worth checking back for. It takes an effort and without it, there will most probably half of the activity here. Maybe you should try to post daily and put some of your own time into keeping a forum active?
It used to annoy me as well, but I've realized over the last few months it's actually quite nice, nice videos and updates posted by the exact cars without me having to go and look for it. Plus I've been watching most of the videos he has posted, I wouldn't want him to stop now because some random person got his panties in a twist.

kripstoe

Expert Member
How is it boring to describe what your standards are? Less boring than saying every car is 'fun to drive' when it clearly is not? They are literally following a template of what they think should be in a review. Literally know nothing extra about the car for reading it - except that it is 'suffice'. Is this not boring for you?

If you could read...
...is where I stopped reading.

joshuatree

If you think that is acceptable to tell readers that a car has a three cylinder engine when it has four cylinders and that a car has a cambelt and not a cam chain then OK.
I don't think so.
I am with stroller on this. The specifications - it is what it is.

asshat99

...is where I stopped reading.
Well you clearly missed the point completely if you thought I was complaining about the 'opinions' expressed by reviewers. At least we have found the target audience for the say-nothing reviews!.

This is where I stopped reading. You clearly don't understand English very well. "I don't care what you say so I am going to comment to you how little I care." - lol raaaaight.

Last edited:

asshat99

I am with stroller on this. The specifications - it is what it is.
Cool, no one is defending the mistake, but rather the melt down and attack. You only get to do that when you are perfect yourself.

I don't think so.
If you think it is acceptable to have a melt down and attack an actual contributor then OK. I don't think so. The perfect grease monkey who has never made a minor mistake. Lol.

It is a piece of paper to sell ads. Not a technical manual. Nobody cares how many cylinders some Indian appliance has. Clearly.

Last edited:

gamer16

Executive Member
Cool, no one is defending the mistake, but rather the melt down and attack. You only get to do that when you are perfect yourself.

If you think it is acceptable to have a melt down and attack an actual contributor then OK. I don't think so. The perfect grease monkey who has never made a minor mistake. Lol.

It is a piece of paper to sell ads. Not a technical manual. Nobody cares how many cylinders some Indian appliance has. Clearly.
Cylinder number is kind of important you see, some people don't care because they don't even know what a cylinder is but to most its important as 3 or 4 N/A can make the difference to the car being able to get up a hill or not.

asshat99

Cylinder number is kind of important you see, some people don't care because they don't even know what a cylinder is but to most its important as 3 or 4 N/A can make the difference to the car being able to get up a hill or not.
Really? You think? Okay. Thanks. Is it worth having a meltdown over? Attacking a contributor? Acting all high and mighty over a cheap consumer mag report? I don't think so.

Again, no one here is defending the mistake. It is not a 'disaster' - it is an silly mistake on a Indian appliance. Nobody even cared enough to correct it, why the outrage? Did someone die because a consumer magazine got it wrong? Do people even read about these depressing cars? It is a mistake. No need for a stroller meltdown. Does he have a meltdown every time he spots one? Makes one? He must be busy.

Try keep it in perspective - unless you are also one of those perfect people?

If you judge the ability of a car to get up a hill based on the number of cylinders, you might be 'some people'.

There are far bigger problems with that magazine that a silly mistake that you could easily make yourself.

Last edited:

kripstoe

Expert Member
Well you clearly missed the point completely if you thought I was complaining about the 'opinions' expressed by reviewers. At least we have found the target audience for the say-nothing reviews!.
I singled you out? Specifically?

This is where I stopped reading. You clearly don't understand English very well. "I don't care what you say so I am going to comment to you how little I care." - lol raaaaight.
:cool:

Sepeng

Expert Member
Really? You think? Okay. Thanks. Is it worth having a meltdown over? Attacking a contributor? Acting all high and mighty over a cheap consumer mag report? I don't think so.

Again, no one here is defending the mistake. It is not a 'disaster' - it is an silly mistake on a Indian appliance. Nobody even cared enough to correct it, why the outrage? Did someone die because a consumer magazine got it wrong? Do people even read about these depressing cars? It is a mistake. No need for a stroller meltdown. Does he have a meltdown every time he spots one? Makes one? He must be busy.

Try keep it in perspective - unless you are also one of those perfect people?

If you judge the ability of a car to get up a hill based on the number of cylinders, you might be 'some people'.

There are far bigger problems with that magazine that a silly mistake that you could easily make yourself.
To be fair mate, I recon there's more than one person having a meltdown here - take what you've said here and apply it to your rant about the Wheels24 article boot space, or about perceived quality. Did anyone die because they said the boot space was suffice (sp)? Do people even read about those depressing Chinese appliances? It was an opinion. No need for an Asshat99 meltdown. Do you have a meltdown every time you see the words perceived quality. You must be busy.

The guy thinks Car Mag should be better at spotting those mistakes. That's it really. You think journos should be better at expressing their opinions. You've got the choice to never again read a Wheels 24 article, same as people have the choice to never again buy that magazine. End of the day we're all just having a discussion, no-one's opinion on the whole thing is more valid than the next.

kripstoe

Expert Member
Why reply to my comment with irrelevant stuff making completely the opposite point? Second language? Hence my concern at your reading skills.
It's called a discussion. But hey, it seems like you prefer insulting people than having discussions. Enjoy.

asshat99

To be fair mate, I recon there's more than one person having a meltdown here - take what you've said here and apply it to your rant about the Wheels24 article boot space, or about perceived quality. Did anyone die because they said the boot space was suffice (sp)? Do people even read about those depressing Chinese appliances? It was an opinion. No need for an Asshat99 meltdown. Do you have a meltdown every time you see the words perceived quality. You must be busy.

The guy thinks Car Mag should be better at spotting those mistakes. That's it really. You think journos should be better at expressing their opinions. You've got the choice to never again read a Wheels 24 article, same as people have the choice to never again buy that magazine. End of the day we're all just having a discussion.
Wow mistakes are bad. Got it.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Talking about poor journalism (ranting even) on a thread about biased journalism is a bit different from having a melt down and attacking The Fiesta guy for posting articles because of a trivial mistake in a cheap magazine made to appeal to the lowest common denominator to sell ads. It is not an technical manual. And pretending to be so perfect because he got a head skimmed back when inches were a thing - yet he reads this consumer rag for facts. Subtle difference perhaps?

no-one's opinion on the whole thing is more valid than the next
lol.

asshat99

It's called a discussion. But hey, it seems like you prefer insulting people than having discussions. Enjoy.
If you have a separate point to make, rather don't reply to my comment then.

The point is that 'opinions' expressed aren't even opinions because they hide behind meaningless words like 'fun', 'solid' and 'perceived quality' so as not to have to do actual research or offend advertisers. Genius. At least you aren't offended by them lol!