Bicycles are faster than cars in cities

Bradley Prior

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator
Bicycles are faster than cars in cities

According to data from food delivery service Deliveroo, bicycles are a faster means of getting from point A to B than cars.

Forbes reports that Deliveroo, which works with 30,000 drivers in 13 countries, employs a routing algorithm it has named Frank which calculates the fastest route for their riders and drivers.

agentrfr

Expert Member
And mopeds / motorcycles / electric scooters?

In my mind, I would expect those to be faster than bicycles

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
I'd cycle to work in London, but not in Johannesburg.

Too often we have reports of cyclists killed by either drunk drivers or taxis, or people on cellphones. It is just too dangerous. Besides, not many Johannesburg offices have showers on premises, which means you have to stink the whole day.

agentrfr

Expert Member
nvm, just read the original articles. It makes mention of motorbikes, but not mopeds, electric scooters or e-bikes and the like.

Nuro

Expert Member
I'm quite keen on an e-bike. Our dress code at the office is casual, which makes things a bit easier, plus I'm quite close to the office.

3WA

Executive Member

Too often we have reports of cyclists killed by either drunk drivers or taxis, or people on cellphones. It is just too dangerous. Besides, not many Johannesburg offices have showers on premises, which means you have to stink the whole day.
This. The reason cyclists are faster is that cars too often impart their momentum onto them.

Dan C

Honorary Master
If cyclists stop at a red traffic lights, they won't be faster.

ekske1

Executive Member

Arthur

Honorary Master
And mopeds / motorcycles / electric scooters?

In my mind, I would expect those to be faster than bicycles
Yeah. I prefer a motorbicycle. My V-Max does a great job. Only prob is I don't live in the city anymore.

cerebus

Honorary Master

Yeah if I move back to London I'll definitely cycle to work. I'd love it. I used to cycle in my previous job but now I'm working at home.

agentrfr

Expert Member
I'm quite keen on an e-bike. Our dress code at the office is casual, which makes things a bit easier, plus I'm quite close to the office.
e-bikes are flipping amazing. We converted an old mountain bike with with a 500W front hub wheel, some 18650s from old laptop batteries and a thumb throttle. It rides like a dream.

The battery's voltage means the hub motor can only get to about 35ish km/h, which is perfect. It's great to give to friends that arent as into cycling as the rest of the group so they can keep up. It also makes nearby pickup trips (like to the petrol station convenience store for milk/bread) completely effortless, and much faster than starting and parking a car

thestaggy

Honorary Master
I'd gladly ride a bicycle or motorcycle to work...if there were no South Africans driving the cars, trucks, taxis and buses around me.

access

Executive Member
and in cape town, the traffic officers chase skateboarders that break speed limits through camera traps :p

cerebus

Honorary Master
e-bikes are flipping amazing. We converted an old mountain bike with with a 500W front hub wheel, some 18650s from old laptop batteries and a thumb throttle. It rides like a dream.

The battery's voltage means the hub motor can only get to about 35ish km/h, which is perfect. It's great to give to friends that arent as into cycling as the rest of the group so they can keep up. It also makes nearby pickup trips (like to the petrol station convenience store for milk/bread) completely effortless, and much faster than starting and parking a car
awesome.