Bid to bar World Cup games at Loftus

Nod

Executive Member
Source: IOL
A city company has threatened to upset the well-laid World Cup plans for Loftus Versfeld Stadium by taking the Tshwane Metro Council to court for failing to honour a multimillion rand construction bill.

The company, which upgraded the stadium, is intending to head to court - four days before the World Cup kicks off - in a bid to stop any games being played at the venue.
The company claims it was owed an outstanding balance of R28.8 million and that, because of the non-payment, its creditors were pressing it for payment.

The company's managing director, Joseph Tshawe, said they were even facing possible liquidation because they had not been paid.

"This is unfair, the applicant is placed under the guillotine for the ill-doings of the first respondent (the council) ... the council is hosting the World Cup at the expense of the applicant, an emerging small enterprise. This is not on," he said.

Tshawe said if the court entertained his application, the soccer games at Loftus could "simply be switched" to alternative venues.

He suggested the Super Stadium in Atteridgeville or the HM Pitje Stadium in Mamelodi (which is still under construction).

It was stated in court papers that the company and the council had a written agreement in terms of which the company was contracted to upgrade Loftus.

The agreed contract sum was R54.3 million and the company was due to be paid in stages.

Voicy

Honorary Master
We've had enough contractors being liquidized by government due to non payment.

Fsck the world cup. Hit them when and where it hurts! It's the only way they'll listen. I honestly hope this contractor gets paid.

cr@zydude

Executive Member
It won't happen, the WC is set, and there is basically nothing that can stop it at this point.

I do find this funny though, "Tshawe said if the court entertained his application, the soccer games at Loftus could "simply be switched" to alternative venues." I think that someone wasn't thinking straight when they said that.

sox63

Executive Member
I support the dude. Late/Non payment is simply unacceptable...

Shake&Bake

Party Liaison
Fscking hell - I hope he wins his day in court and gets paid before the WC starts.

Obviously it's also dependent on the original terms of payment.

Anyway - hope it's a speedy decision for the guy.

papooze

The matches will probably proceed because I read that the work was "Incomplete", that would need an investigation of a few days/weeks so the games will probably proceed.
Don't know if this is true but Soccer City and Freestate stadium have/had payment issues and that more of these conspiracies will appear soon or after the world cup.

Last edited:

JungleBoy

Executive Member
The stadium has already been officially handed over to FIFA. I think it's a little too late for the company to get any court action that might prevent the games taking place there.