• You are losing out on amazing benefits because you are not a member. Join for free. Register now.
  • Big Two-Day Giveaway - Win an Amazon Kindle, a Mystery Gadget and Branded Gear. Enter Here.
  • Test your broadband speed and win prizes worth R5,000. Enter here.

Bid to curb rock throwing

Sumen

Expert Member
Durban - Steel cages will be erected on bridges around the city in an effort to clamp down on the spate of rock-throwing incidents that have taken place in recent weeks.

Deputy mayor Fawzia Peer said a directive had been given by the city manager to the eThekwini Transport Authority to erect the cages, to close off the bridges and prohibit people from throwing rocks on to cars passing underneath them.

“We will also be erecting surveillance cameras on the bridges,” Peer said.

Source :https://www.iol.co.za/dailynews/bid-to-curb-rock-throwing-12648217

Last edited by a moderator:

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
So these numbnuts are planning on putting up steel cages on all bridges since some of these rocks have been thrown off normal vehicle bridges and not just pedestrian bridges.

Milano

Honorary Master
Deputy mayor Fawzia Peer said a directive had been given by the city manager to the eThekwini Transport Authority to erect the cages, to close off the bridges and prohibit people from throwing rocks on to cars passing underneath them.
Prohibit lol. Pretty sure it's already prohibited. Perhaps prevent.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
So these numbnuts are planning on putting up steel cages on all bridges since some of these rocks have been thrown off normal vehicle bridges and not just pedestrian bridges.
Yes, these numbnuts must just do nothing, it would be much better :rolleyes:

supersunbird

Honorary Master
I think by caging off they mean just the sides will be fenced higher, before any morons get strange ideas.

Last edited:

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
An alternative solution: station snipers at notorious bridges in the night, once someone lifts a rock near the edge that is attempted murder and can legally be met with deadly force ... :twisted:

thestaggy

Honorary Master
Cages will just be torn down and sold for scrap.

I reckon this may be a better solution as the fences will be much, much harder to get to. And if they reach out for 2 - 2.5 m I doubt anybody is hurling a rock to clear them.

skeptic_SA

Executive Member
Cages will just be torn down and sold for scrap.

I reckon this may be a better solution as the fences will be much, much harder to get to. And if they reach out for 2 - 2.5 m I doubt anybody is hurling a rock to clear them.

Your bridge has little in the way of support. Will the catch fence also have to support the weight of the bridge structure? Your idea has merit. But I suspect only Murray and Roberts will build it per that design. Good idea though.

rietrot

Executive Member
Lol wtf. How about proper policing first. Catch these phuckers, beat them until they learn their lesson and then set them free again. Repeat if necessary.

dunkyd

Expert Member
Lol wtf. How about proper policing first. Catch these phuckers, beat them until they learn their lesson and then set them free again. Repeat if necessary.
Reminds me of the days pre......suspect falls off chair and breaks both arms, loses 4 teeth and dislocates knee....

konfab

Honorary Master
Best thing to combat this would be a team of ex-army snipers and a couple of drones equipped with night vision. The only thing that you should feel for someone who drops a rock on a highway is recoil.

Slootvreter

Honorary Master
:rolleyes: This will at least stop the throwing from pedestrian bridges. Jesus.

Those cages are not going to last long once installed :whistling:
On the R300 in Cape Town we have had them for ages. Still there. And they're now erecting a barrier fence in the middle as well.