Big Android security problem – 40% of smartphones vulnerable

Hanno Labuschagne

Staff member
Big Android security problem – 40% of smartphones vulnerable

Consumer watchdog Which? has found that more than 1 billion Android devices are potentially vulnerable to attack because they are running older versions of the operating system.

Researchers looked at Google data that shows 40% of Android users are no longer receiving security updates, which it said puts their devices at risk of data theft, malware, and other attacks.

“Anyone using an Android phone released around 2012 or earlier – including popular models like the Samsung Galaxy S3 and Sony Xperia S, should be especially concerned, since it’s likely they will be running a version of Android that does not include various security enhancements Google has been rolling out since,” the company said.

Swa

Honorary Master
Consumerism at work, buy a new phone every 2 years for R10k. Can't wait for 2 years for an older model because then it's EOL and no longer receiving updates. Doesn't seem so smartphone does it?

Feck this. Where are the days when you could buy a R1k phone every 5 years and it was perfect?

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
“Anyone using an Android phone released around 2012 or earlier – including popular models like the Samsung Galaxy S3 and Sony Xperia S, should be especially concerned, since it’s likely they will be running a version of Android that does not include various security enhancements Google has been rolling out since,” the company said.
Beauty of Android just flash a custom rom. I gave my GNote N7000 to a relative to use after flashing it with Android Pie. That's like 7 years of updates.

Unlike Apple’s latest iOS 13 operating system, which is installed on 77% of all devices sold in the last four years, Android 10 is only installed on 9.98% of Android devices.
Not a like for like comparison. Much of Android can get updated through the Play store due to the modular approach.

I've got a galaxy note 2 should I be worried
Just flash a custom rom and give it a new life.

Skerminkel

Expert Member
Manufacturers must publicly state when they will end support for a specific handset and then make is easier for users to flash new ROMs.