Big boost in Netflix traffic due to COVID-19

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
“All other daytime traffic use (6:00 to 17:00) is up around 100%, which is an indication of the number of people now working from home,” Butschi said.

Working on netflix?

ProfA

Honorary Master
Good thing Rain has chosen now to **** over its customers with 360p throttling. :rolleyes:

sin_x

“All other daytime traffic use (6:00 to 17:00) is up around 100%, which is an indication of the number of people now working from home,” Butschi said.

Working on netflix?

All other daytime traffic. They never said that daytime Netflix traffic is up 100%.

Dolby

Honorary Master
No Cool Ideas!

There are already managers out there that are fearing this work from home situation ... this is going to push them over the edge ;)

Shadow07

I've been told the reason my my online gaming packet loss and insanely high pings is caused from the amount of data over the internet in general. Can this really be a thing?

TheRoDent

Cool Ideas Rep
I've been told the reason my my online gaming packet loss and insanely high pings is caused from the amount of data over the internet in general. Can this really be a thing?
Yes, it is a real thing. Our network is coping fine but there are instances where Fibre operator's backhaul to our network is getting constrained. With lots of gaming services sitting on UK and US backbones, there is also congestion there that is generally out of an ISP's control.

And as others have noted it's not just netflix traffic. Our general usage has gone up significantly, especially the usually quiet daytime hours.

Also, remember that with schools closed lots of kids are tuned into netflix, even during daytime.