Big changes for Octotel fibre line speeds and prices

Hanno Labuschagne

Journalist
Staff member
Big changes for Octotel fibre line speeds and prices

Octotel is completely overhauling its wholesale fibre line speed offering, which means that South African Internet Service Providers (ISPs) will need to change their network deals and pricing structure.

A number of ISPs have told their customers who are on the Octotel network that these changes will take place from 1 September.

The changes to Octotel’s fibre offering are summarised below:
  • All lines except the 1Gbps fibre line will become symmetrical, meaning their download and upload speeds will be equal.
  • Entry-level fibre lines will change from 10/5Mbps to 15/15Mbps.
  • The 20/5Mbps and 20/20Mbps lines will change to 30/30Mbps.

Nixul

Wonder what Vox will do in regards to pricing. Does anyone know?

drew137

All lines except the 1Gbps fibre line will become symmetrical, meaning their download and upload speeds will be equal.

Well that sucks - I wonder if we'll get an increase at least....

Dames

All lines except the 1Gbps fibre line will become symmetrical, meaning their download and upload speeds will be equal.

Well that sucks - I wonder if we'll get an increase at least....

Agreed - why is this one specifically being left asymmetrical?? Other fibre providers in SA seem to be able to offer symmetrical 1GB lines...

justplain

Expert Member
waiting on MWEB pricing. Going to suck if I have to pay extra . I'm on the 20/5 and the 30/30 bump sounds rad....

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
Good 20mps was just a bit weak for netflix 4k, 30mps package makes sense as they don't have 50mps package.

Mampara

I'm happy for the speed increases since we are way behind Europe,America's and Far East with regard to speed but why the huge increases?

fruitbat

Expert Member
I’d prefer to manage the price point and drop from 20/20 to 15/15 while things are uncertain with wifeys employment