Big electricity price shock for Johannesburg prepaid residents possible

Swa

Honorary Master
If you decide to change a vote from the DA to any other party, based on electricity issues. Then you're voting for the wrong reasons.

What this country doesn't understand, the DA truly is the lesser evil.

We've had decades of corruption, theft and murder.
The only way to kick the ANC out is for everyone to combine and vote DA.
CT/WC did it and the results are fairly good.

I want to hit someone with a pan when I hear them wanting to vote for FF+ or any other party.
It's a loss of votes.

We need change in this country. Not "feelings" and butthurt voting.

Btw. I'm a white Afrikaans person. The DA leadership could all be black and I'd still suggest voting for them.
The ANC is a cesspool. Always has been and always will be.
It's not just electricity but numerous other issues. On average DA municipalities don't fare much better than ANC ones and they are a lot more expensive. DA and ANC are merely two different sides of the same coin but they are both evils we should get rid of. The best party that will bring about the correct change currently is FF+. There is no such thing as a lost vote. That's a lie the big parties have perpetuated to keep the status quo.

IdlePhaedrus

Expert Member
If you decide to change a vote from the DA to any other party, based on electricity issues. Then you're voting for the wrong reasons.

For me electricity is not the only issue.

There are others (sewage spillage in Milnerton and elsewhere, failing infrastructure due to lack of maintenance, water (standing charge on this also now), roads, winter evictions etc.).

The list is long. Don't get me wrong, WC is better than the other eight provinces, but...

We are paying more, but services are steadily degrading.

While the DA "governs" better than the ANC and gets good audits from the AG on the whole, they remain only good. Excellent would be better.

The DA need to be held to higher account and their standing charges are getting a bit out of hand. On this score they have no right to moan about the JHB standing charges for electricity.

Winde is making great noises for the WC as a whole, so is Steenhuisen for the country. This needs to be implemented in official policy.

Further, the DA only seems interested in utility scale green energy only, if you have it on your roof top, you will be penalised, right up the bottom, three ways from Sunday.

Nationally the ANC is clearly to blame, but the DA taking advantage is rather irksome. They can and should do better. Much, much, better.

On the electricity issue specifically the city's bottom line seems more important than anything else (day zero anyone?).

I'd rather vote for someone else, or not vote at all (given Covid and queues).

Rather like the millions of ANC voters who have stopped voting since 1994 altogether (regardless of Covid) because there doesn't appear to be much point.

As far as I can tell, the same ANC shyte will continue to happen in the WC, just more slowly, because?

Meh.

Happy Easter everyone....

|tera|

Master of Messengers
It's not just electricity but numerous other issues. On average DA municipalities don't fare much better than ANC ones and they are a lot more expensive. DA and ANC are merely two different sides of the same coin but they are both evils we should get rid of. The best party that will bring about the correct change currently is FF+. There is no such thing as a lost vote. That's a lie the big parties have perpetuated to keep the status quo.
Butthurt and feelings.
It's about an entire country. Not your local area.
Also. If there were no thing as lost votes, why has the ANC been in power for 25+ years?

Do you actually believe what you are saying to yourself?

I'm not part of any political party and don't support anyone of them.
I'm thinking beyond my own feelings and the common good of all.
ANC will never improve or change. Never. The DA is also NOT the ANC. Whatever your misconceptions may be.

Utterly Confused

So do I, cause all this will do is move more people off the grid one way or another. You can't charge prepaid people before they've even charged up. Especially since a lot of the users R200 is their entire usage, now you're doubling up +adding 9% to their bill?
How does that even make sense? Like for myself that 200 bucks is already a 20% increase + the 9% on the first block and then the 18% on the 2nd block?
So how is that fair?
Don't worry they will still vote cANCer.

Swa

Honorary Master
Butthurt and feelings.
It's about an entire country. Not your local area.
Also. If there were no thing as lost votes, why has the ANC been in power for 25+ years?

Do you actually believe what you are saying to yourself?

I'm not part of any political party and don't support anyone of them.
I'm thinking beyond my own feelings and the common good of all.
ANC will never improve or change. Never. The DA is also NOT the ANC. Whatever your misconceptions may be.
You know you cast two separate votes for both? I also don't believe the FF+ will be worse at running the country than the DA.

LOL the ANC has been in power for 27 years because of dumb voters. Why democracy has never worked in Africa because people think it should be a loyalty vote.

The lost vote lie has been perpetuated by the big parties. The DA knows that even if the ANC gets the most votes if they spur people to vote for big parties they still get more votes than when people vote for a number of smaller parties. In reality the DA has the same number of "lost" votes as the other parties. You never know when your vote is the one that will grant a party another seat.

The DA is ANC lite. They are both nationalists. Both want to keep the family structure in place. Why we have so many laws going against individual freedoms getting through unchallenged. This will continue to be the case while the DA is voted for as the "official opposition".

Yskasmetnstoof

The JHB council (DA and ANC) have been scamming post paid electricity clients for years with round R800 p.m. disguised as warra warra like "connection fee". And NO COUNCILLOR from any party is ever prepared to discuss it.

Nereus77

Agreed, the DA is not SA's cure-all party. They need to do better.

World: SA has the most expensive electricity in the world
ANC: Excellent, lets increase that...

Lupus

Honorary Master
Agreed, the DA is not SA's cure-all party. They need to do better.

World: SA has the most expensive electricity in the world
ANC: Excellent, lets increase that...
No one says it's a cure all, but it's the only alternative and currently we cannot have the ANC in power for another 27 years.

Nereus77

No one says it's a cure all, but it's the only alternative and currently we cannot have the ANC in power for another 27 years.
They are the best alternative, yes. They need to be bigger, bolder and stronger though.

The Light Green Hornet

Just another attempt to milk the paying customers to fund the non paying ones. How about they address the theft etc. Oh sorry, I forgot, that's the hard way...

Brieuse

Just another attempt to milk the paying customers to fund the non paying ones. How about they address the theft etc. Oh sorry, I forgot, that's the hard way...
Probably find that the postpaid users that have to pay the R435.24 network charge every month, are getting less due to moving to pre-paid. But I doubt the infrastructure has ever been maintained. COJ operates on a run it until it breaks principle. That R400 bucks goes into someone else's pocket.

Not sure if Prepaid pay service charges, I assume they don't, here is bill estimate comparison between Pre and Post for 1115KWh total for a month. (COJ)
COJ PrepaidkWhR/kWhR
1115​
350​
1.4809​
R518.32​
765​
150​
1.6987​
R254.81​
615​
615​
1.9356​
R1,190.39​
R1,963.51​
VAT
R294.53​
Total
1115​
R2,258.04​
COJ PostpaidkWhR/kWhR
1115​
500​
1.4242​
R712.10​
615​
500​
1.6344​
R817.20​
115​
115​
1.755​
R201.83​
Surcharge(Total less 500kWh)
615​
0.06​
R36.90​
Capacity
R435.24​
Service
R147.74​
R2,351.01​
VAT
R352.65​
Total
1115​
R2,703.66​

Last edited:

system32

Expert Member
Good News,
The R200 levy per month for all prepaid electricity users was "erroneously” included in the budget and has been removed after huge public outcry.

See: https://www.iol.co.za/the-star/news...complain-243f2633-c787-4f89-895f-4e64ff8252ec

Bad News,
CoJ still want 6.8% increase in most other areas.
2021/22 Draft Medium Term Budget Reports can be accessed from joburg.org.za
See https://joburg.org.za/documents_/Pages/Key Documents/2021-22 Draft Medium Term Budget Reports/202122-Draft-Medium-Term-Budget-Reports.aspx

As a CoJ ratepayer you can do your civil duty and send in comments.
I encourage all to invest 15 minutes submitting comments to CoJ.
Electronic submissions should be made as follows:
Thanks in advance

Lupus

Honorary Master
Good News,
The R200 levy per month for all prepaid electricity users was "erroneously” included in the budget and has been removed after huge public outcry.

See: https://www.iol.co.za/the-star/news...complain-243f2633-c787-4f89-895f-4e64ff8252ec

Bad News,
CoJ still want 6.8% increase in most other areas.
2021/22 Draft Medium Term Budget Reports can be accessed from joburg.org.za
See https://joburg.org.za/documents_/Pages/Key Documents/2021-22 Draft Medium Term Budget Reports/202122-Draft-Medium-Term-Budget-Reports.aspx

As a CoJ ratepayer you can do your civil duty and send in comments.
I encourage all to invest 15 minutes submitting comments to CoJ.
Electronic submissions should be made as follows:
Thanks in advance
The 18% increase from the 2nd tier is scary.