Big Fibre ISP Comparison - Price, Ratings, and Speed

cavedog

Honorary Master
There is too many Afrihost and Axxess in those comparisons. Home, Premium, Priority... WTF Afrihost has lost it to be honest. Keep it simple like Cool Ideas, Supersonic and C-Fibre. Uncapped, Unshaped and Unthrottled. Cybersmart is not included in the price comparison but they are rated second best? Also Home-Connect (Cipherwave), Gigago, Webafrica and Vodacom should also be in the pricing and not a gazilion Afrihost packages where you have no idea what you are actually getting.

EADC

Expert Member
There is too many Afrihost and Axxess in those comparisons. Home, Premium, Priority... WTF Afrihost has lost it to be honest. Keep it simple like Cool Ideas, Supersonic and C-Fibre. Uncapped, Unshaped and Unthrottled. Cybersmart is not included in the price comparison but they are rated second best? Also Home-Connect (Cipherwave), Gigago, Webafrica and Vodacom should also be in the pricing and not a gazilion Afrihost packages where you have no idea what you are actually getting.
They are stuck in the dark ages of ADSL, I laugh at the people who think they saving money when Afrihost runs those installation specials.

But I don't entirely blame the masses as the reporting on these things are also skewed these packages get compared with Cool Ideas or Home-connect which is not right.

Daruk

Honorary Master
Sorry but using speed tests for speed measurement is silly, its not a true reflection of speed as most people only do speed tests when they are having issues.
I don't follow the logic... how can it not be a true reflection of speed?.. or how can that make it not a true reflection of speed?

cavedog

Honorary Master
They are stuck in the dark ages of ADSL, I laugh at the people who think they saving money when Afrihost runs those installation specials.

But I don't entirely blame the masses as the reporting on these things are also skewed these packages get compared with Cool Ideas or Home-connect which is not right.
It's sad actually that people on Afrihost pay R18 more per month compared to Gigago(metro fibre networx ISP) for truly uncapped and unshaped fibre. Afrihost has a FUP of 300GB and people pay R18 more per month. Madness. Even C-Fibre is better than Afrihost for cheaper. 300GB what is that? 10 x 4K movies streamed and boom you get 360p for the rest of the month if you are lucky on a 100Mbps fibre line.

Genisys

Executive Member
I don't follow the logic... how can it not be a true reflection of speed?.. or how can that make it not a true reflection of speed?
We are assuming that every user has issues and thus the speeds of the ISP is bad in general. If every user were to perform a speedtest every time their connection was good the average speed would go up, it won't be going down. It also safe to say the speed tests can't tell you the actual connection speed, so what of a user with a 200Mbps connection gets 10Mbps while they are maxing out their connection? Do we say the ISP is slow as well?

Daruk

Honorary Master
We are assuming that every user has issues and thus the speeds of the ISP is bad in general. If every user were to perform a speedtest every time their connection was good the average speed would go up, it won't be going down. It also safe to say the speed tests can't tell you the actual connection speed, so what of a user with a 200Mbps connection gets 10Mbps while they are maxing out their connection? Do we say the ISP is slow as well?
OK, I get what you're saying.
More often than not, when I do a speed test when I'm having hassles it reports fantastic speeds, though that's often because the issues are international and I'm testing with a local server, but your point stands.

jeevadotnet

More benchmarks with no international tests... Yawn.
Half these ISPs can't even get more than 5 Mbps international on a 100mbit package.

digitalp

The cool ideas pricing is wrong. the 100/100 Fibre is R1219 and not R1499 as stated in the article.

cavedog

Honorary Master
I'm also shocked about the C-Fibre price increase. Just 3 days ago the website was still showing R1599 for the 200Mbps and now they upped the price to R1999. Wow. :oops: