Big fibre speed upgrades and price cuts for Mweb customers

Hanno Labuschagne

Journalist
Staff member

zolly

Expert Member
Haven't been with Mweb for years so can't comment about the quality of their network, but still, 25/25 for R500 per month? That's really tempting.

Mobus

Yep tempting in deed. I'm paying a R100 more for the same 25/25 mbps line on Afrihost.

Is mweb capping, throttling or shaping this line in anyway? Can anyone comment from personal experience?

I know people say MWEB has the worst customer service, but for me the wee bit of hassle is worth the savings of R1200 a year. And usually you only need support to get set up, then its smooth sailing for months if not years. And its not if afrihost's call centre is much better. That being said, the mybroadband afrihost rep support is fantastic.

It is possible to "test drive" an mweb connection (e.g. by entering someone else's mweb pppoe details in my router), or is the account hard linked to the fibre B number? Would make a nice article "MWEB's cheap 25/25mbps fibre compared to others".

justplain

Expert Member
I know people have hated on MWEB for yonks, I've never had any problems (both ADSL and fibre)
Currenly on 30/30 uncapped with Octotel.
I'd love to see some Octotel love in light of Openserves changes.
Octotel Pricing is currently R779 for 30/30when the Openserve offering is R499 for 25/25.
I'm not too phased with the speed and would take the 25/25 option if it was on Octotel.
Cheapest on Octotel is 15/15 for R649..... a lot more than the openserve offer and slower.
Octotel really need to propose some changes in their offerings.

laven

I signed up for their 10Mbps line at R399 in June 2020 on a 12 month contract to recover the free installation and router. A few months later I got a mail saying that my price was increasing from R399 to R449 and today I get another mail saying that because of the Openserve upgrade my price is going up to R499pm, which I know is still cheap for a 25Mbps line but to have 25% increase in a year is not acceptable. I signed up for the fiber at R399 knowing that I will not have any customer service since it takes at least 30 minutes on the phone before anyone picks up and they never reply to email. I was lucky that my installation was only slightly delayed, because there are numerous posts on Facebook about people waiting months for their installation.

Also, to be honest, I've never had any issues with my line, both with regards to speed and connection.

Mobus

I signed up for their 10Mbps line at R399 in June 2020 on a 12 month contract to recover the free installation and router. A few months later I got a mail saying that my price was increasing from R399 to R449 and today I get another mail saying that because of the Openserve upgrade my price is going up to R499pm, which I know is still cheap for a 25Mbps line but to have 25% increase in a year is not acceptable. I signed up for the fiber at R399 knowing that I will not have any customer service since it takes at least 30 minutes on the phone before anyone picks up and they never reply to email. I was lucky that my installation was only slightly delayed, because there are numerous posts on Facebook about people waiting months for their installation.

Also, to be honest, I've never had any issues with my line, both with regards to speed and connection.
You could probably cancel the contract on that bases (the R100 increase) and give back their equipment. But not without a huge fight and lots of admin. Also, you won't have many other options left in terms of cheaper uncapped data. I guess they argue they must charge you more now because at 25mbps you'll be able to use 2.5x the data you used previously. Though your streaming habits won't change, youtube and netflix will easily start feeding you with UHD content.

That being said, would you rather have a 250GB FUP than pay R100 more?

Mobus

Also what is kinda sad, with all the R399 fibre deals disappearing, fibre is no longer competing against capped LTE in that price bracket.

butters89

Yep tempting in deed. I'm paying a R100 more for the same 25/25 mbps line on Afrihost.

Is mweb capping, throttling or shaping this line in anyway? Can anyone comment from personal experience?

I know people say MWEB has the worst customer service, but for me the wee bit of hassle is worth the savings of R1200 a year. And usually you only need support to get set up, then its smooth sailing for months if not years. And its not if afrihost's call centre is much better. That being said, the mybroadband afrihost rep support is fantastic.

It is possible to "test drive" an mweb connection (e.g. by entering someone else's mweb pppoe details in my router), or is the account hard linked to the fibre B number? Would make a nice article "MWEB's cheap 25/25mbps fibre compared to others".
Nope, no capping. To be honest, I've had very few issues with them.

I know they have a bad rep, but they've actually sorted my issues out pretty quickly

Lupus

Honorary Master
Nope, no capping. To be honest, I've had very few issues with them.

I know they have a bad rep, but they've actually sorted my issues out pretty quickly
Never had an issue with them either.

Skalabala

Can anyone please tell me what is the FUP on MWEB 25/25 Openserve Fibre? The R499 deal.
For the life of me I can not find it anywhere :(

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
Can anyone please tell me what is the FUP on MWEB 25/25 Openserve Fibre? The R499 deal.
For the life of me I can not find it anywhere :(
Openserver has no FUP, they even removed on adsl products. I pulled terabytes of data on 40mbps vdsl.

Skalabala

I wish ISPs will be more clear about this. I have seen some horrifying FUPs.
We finally got fibre in our area :D and are currently with Mweb on adsl, so would like to stay with them.
Out of my experience MWEB does usually have the better FUP, our old 4mb was 300Gb and all the other ISPs were like 150Gb.