Big increase in spam calls in South Africa

saor

Honorary Master
I can't wrap my head around the kind of person who actually listens to those automated robot calls that warrants them bothering to do it. Seems like the costs of the calls would far outweigh the amount of people who actually bite.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
I'm just getting more scam SMSs and one scam call (that "you've been subscribed to a JSE trading account in your name" nonsense), due to Experian leak?

Not blocking any number on my phone, but I am on DMASA list.

Juice

Expert Member
1. You're advocating True Caller? Holy moly, I wouldn't let that piece of spy-ware anywhere near any of my devices, thank you.

2. To get around the national opt out register, the Modus Operandi appears to be to buy your details from a database and then create an online callback application through the web-site and then use that as an excuse to call you. All of my spam calls in the last week have claimed that I'd loaded an application on their web-site for a callback, which I most definitely did not. Ever. I think someone should ask some pointed questions of hippo.co.za here...

Chevauxza

Are there any decent alternatives to TrueCaller (which basically scrapes your data and uses it for their service)? No way I'd install TrueCaller right near a bunch of private data.

Binary Bark

Forging

backstreetboy

Honorary Master

Johand

Expert Member
It really is getting crazy. The increase in robocalls I find especially irritating. Also the pumped calls where computers call and then dispatch to an operator as soon as the call go through or hang up in your ear if nobody is available. It sucks.

Iwojima

Expert Member
It really is getting crazy. The increase in robocalls I find especially irritating. Also the pumped calls where computers call and then dispatch to an operator as soon as the call go through or hang up in your ear if nobody is available. It sucks.
My favorite are the "unknown callers" who phone and hang up to check if your number is in use before, of course, handing that over to a spam callcenter