Big increase in spam calls in South Africa

boboudts

It's the uncontrolled shout out messages that really rile as they don't let you get a word in edgeways and never identify themselves to facilitate suitably painful retribution on their invasive, money grabbing masters - the very mobile companies one contracts with for a presumably private and contactual service offering, who leak numbers.

Vodacom denies any complicity in this racket (they probably make 20cents per sms on their network) but buy a new PAYG sim, rica it and within minutes the cr@p starts, so their excuse that the telemarketers are getting your number from "other sources" is just plain BS!

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
It's the uncontrolled shout out messages that really rile as they don't let you get a word in edgeways and never identify themselves to facilitate suitably painful retribution on their invasive, money grabbing masters - the very mobile companies one contracts with for a presumably private and contactual service offering, who leak numbers.

Vodacom denies any complicity in this racket (they probably make 20cents per sms on their network) but buy a new PAYG sim, rica it and within minutes the cr@p starts, so their excuse that the telemarketers are getting your number from "other sources" is just plain BS!
What is painfull, when they start, you are the target, not the supposed previous user of that SIM.

wizardofid

Executive Member

The problem is we haven't we used up all the numbers in 083 or 082 range for some years now, so the odds of getting a recycled number is pretty high, so entirely possible to get spam calls robot calls and sms's basically just randomly call or SMS.

The number I have in my tablet gets spam calls every now and then however it does get a bunch of calls for some loser who owes money on his nedbank loan and some other accounts might be entirely possible the guy is dead ??? As it isn't large amounts I think the most is 1.5k.

Only my main number out of my 4 main mtn sim cards is a 073 number which wasn't a recycled number that is getting more spam then the recycled numbers 2 of those sims being contract numbers go figure....

neoprema

Executive Member
I was registered on dmasa and dnc and I’m getting spammed no end.
And can someone tell DialDirect that replying STOP to an SMS is actually supposed to STOP SPAMMING ME.

The_Librarian

Another MyBB
Super Moderator
And can someone tell DialDirect that replying STOP to an SMS is actually supposed to STOP SPAMMING ME.
Nah, replying with STOP means that specific SIM is alive and can do with a lot of spamzors.

supersunbird

Honorary Master

I think you might not have correctly signed up to the DMASA, go look again and make sure you opted out of everything, maybe you opted into everything rather.

RVQ

Expert Member
Once a month I load airtime and make a call to keep my SA SIM active and holy hell in the 5 minutes it takes me to enable the SIM and make the call I receive at least two spam calls and 500 spam SMS, worst of it is 90% of the spam SMS is MTN

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Once a month I load airtime and make a call to keep my SA SIM active and holy hell in the 5 minutes it takes me to enable the SIM and make the call I receive at least two spam calls and 500 spam SMS, worst of it is 90% of the spam SMS is MTN

There is a USSD string to opt out of those.

HowTo

Expert Member
I did notice this on my Phone lately.

Who should we blame Vodacom, Telkom. MTN for there service delivery.
If you go overseas and use one of the sims cards for that particular country Finland comes to mind. No Bu**** call's on there network.
It shows how developed we are in this country. And this gets allowed over there networks. No privacies.

Tman*

Expert Member
I get at least 2 robo calls a day. Used to be one a year.

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
I did notice this on my Phone lately.

Who should we blame Vodacom, Telkom. MTN for there service delivery.
If you go overseas and use one of the sims cards for that particular country Finland comes to mind. No Bu**** call's on there network.
It shows how developed we are in this country. And this gets allowed over there networks. No privacies.

They a coining the green, from this activity, why should they stop it.

gbyleveldt

Lol, had my new number for a week now and true as nuts, I had a robo call today.

MirageF1

Executive Member
107 numbers so far in my block list but these fukkers keep on coming, random generated numbers/sequenced/you name it.

Spam is a serious business, and our digital technology only encourages it's pervasiveness unfortunately.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201113_203037_com.huawei.systemmanager.jpg
    Screenshot_20201113_203037_com.huawei.systemmanager.jpg
    260.3 KB · Views: 19

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
107 numbers so far in my block list but these fukkers keep on coming, random generated numbers/sequenced/you name it.

Spam is a serious business, and our digital technology only encourages it's pervasiveness unfortunately.

So far I have 221 ...

Chris.Geerdts

Expert Member
Since using TC my spam calls have literally disappeared.

Everyone knows the names of your kids anyway...and so what? What does it matter? How does it negatively affect your life if your name and number is connected and out there? It is anyway....

Time to take off the tinfoil hats people
Did I mention that my spam calls volumes dropped dramatically when I *stopped* using Truecaller