Big increase in Vodacom data flowing over Rain’s network

Thor

Honorary Master
did I not say from the beginning RAIN + Vodacon is a recipe for disaster?

cavedog

Honorary Master
Yeah Vodacom wants their hands on that Rain bandwidth so they can claim best network in SA again.

For those that want to test this. Get a router that supports B38/41. The b618 from Rain would be ideal. Insert your Vodacom simcard and force it to 2600MHz with a band tool.

You will see that it would work fine.

Vodacom does not own and 2600MHz spectrum thus when yoi force it and it works you know you are roaming on Rain.

Yeah Vodacom wants their hands on that Rain bandwidth so they can claim best network in SA again.

For those that want to test this. Get a router that supports B38/41. The b618 from Rain would be ideal. Insert your Vodacom simcard and force it to 2600MHz with a band tool.

You will see that it would work fine.

Vodacom does not own and 2600MHz spectrum thus when yoi force it and it works you know you are roaming on Rain.
Any chance you have a Vodacom sim and could run some tests during the shaping window?

I'm fairly certain the results would be interesting... Could indicate even more strongly that rain exists entirety to give Vodacom spectrum as I've long suspected.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Any chance you have a Vodacom sim and could run some tests during the shaping window?

I'm fairly certain the results would be interesting... Could indicate even more strongly that rain exists entirety to give Vodacom spectrum as I've long suspected.
I do have a Vodacom contract with data and a B618 from Rain. Will do some tests and post feedback. :)

cavedog

Honorary Master
[MENTION=190249]ScottulusMaximus[/MENTION]

So I have done all the tests.

Huawei B618s-22d Router with Vodacom simcard in at the exact same spot as my Rain and forced to B38 so I know for a fact that it is Vodacom roaming on Rain.

Here is the results from speedtest and torrents. Take not that on Rain I also max out at ~30Mbps. Given it is peak time now with torrents on Rain fixed and Mobile being limited to 100KB/s and connection speeds limited to ~3Mbps or so give or take and varies Vodacom users are able to utilize full bandwidth of the Rain network with ZERO restrictions at all. Concerning but expected because after all Vodacom is Rain's biggest customer.

Router forced to B38 with Vodacom simcard in.
http://2share.co.za/Files/vodacom_b38_rainroaming.png

Torrents download at full speed with no issue.
http://2share.co.za/Files/vodacom_torrents_rainroaming.png

Connection Speedtest

https://speedtest.mybroadband.co.za/result/7571956

Could you try the mybb app speed test specifically, it's caught in the shaping protocols so will give a solid number to this nonsense.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Could you try the mybb app speed test specifically, it's caught in the shaping protocols so will give a solid number to this nonsense.
I can do that but I can assure you it will not be shaped on Vodacom simcard.

Also just to prove I connect to the exact same tower with the Vodacom simcard.

Left is Vodacom aka 65501 and right is Rain Mobile aka 65538. They have identical cellid

cavedog

Honorary Master
Vodacom on the top and Rain Mobile on the bottom. Still connected via Band 38 and both have same cell id.

cavedog

Honorary Master
[MENTION=190249]ScottulusMaximus[/MENTION] [MENTION=1]rpm[/MENTION]

Clear as day. Rain is throttling fixed and mobile users but allow Vodacom users to use as much as they like during this "so called"peak time.

I AM SHOCKED

/s

Are you on rain mobile or fixed? Although I KNOW fixed is being shaped, but at least they won't be able to use that excuse/lie as well.

“Rate limiting Rain subscribers to increase service levels experienced by Rain’s roaming customer would be a poor technical solution,” said Mistry.
So Mr Mistry you are talking utter shyte...

MirageF1

Expert Member
So RAIN screw their own clients in the posterior for Vodacom's sole pleasure.

Nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dan C

Honorary Master
I just did a myBB speed test on Rain mobile. Got about 3.
Speedtest app gave me 39. :wtf:

cavedog

Honorary Master
So RAIN screw their own clients in the posterior for Vodacom's sole pleasure.

Nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yeah I would love to know how much money Vodacom is throwing at Rain for this agreement. It's must be a lot. From Vodacom it's a very sneaky but clever move. They don't need to build more tower and maintain them but instantly get double tower density. No more fighting for extra tower when you can just have your customer roam on Rain. Even more so when Rain and Vodacom share the same tower mast. Vodacom has esentially doubled or triple capacity in the same location without even needing to build anything.

From Rain's side the $$$$ was too big to say no.

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
I just did a myBB speed test on Rain mobile. Got about 3.
Speedtest app gave me 39. :wtf:
Seems to indicate they're prioritising the Speedtest app.