Big Joburg electricity price hikes planned

Bradley Prior

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator

The City of Johannesburg has published its draft electricity tariffs for the 2020/2021 financial year, which include a nasty shock for prepaid customers.

The proposed changes include above-inflation price increases for both residential and business prepaid customers, as well as an additional monthly flat payment of R200 and R400 respectively.

JayMaster

The City of Johannesburg has published its draft electricity tariffs for the 2020/2021 financial year, which include a nasty shock for prepaid customers.

The proposed changes include above-inflation price increases for both residential and business prepaid customers, as well as an additional monthly flat payment of R200 and R400 respectively.

All hell is about to break loose. :ROFL: The scenes in America are bout to happen here eMzansi. They think we are cunts now.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Block 1 to be reduced to 0-300kWhs from 350kW
Block 2 to be reduced to 301-500kWh from 351-500kWhs
Block 3 to remain at all consumption greater than 500kWh

Frakers, they are increasing Block 2 and 3 to the higher increases, because people averagely use 374? How the frak, so my electricity goes up 400 in one fail swoop

quovadis

Expert Member
This is just a ploy to get Soweto onboard. Behold! A R200 flat rate! Initial here, here, sign here.

ActivateD

Expert Member
They won't give the REAL reason why they doing it but in short there is a big difference between collected money from postpaid and prepaid.

Lupus

Honorary Master
That's not a flat rate. That's a connection charge irrespective of usage
Yup the same stunt they tried last year, and everyone was like it's the DA, the DA is doing what they did in Cape Town. At least with the DA we could engage them to stop it, the ANC on the other hand.

Neuk_

Expert Member
The sooner we get some solar in the better, although we are still stuck with the network and service charges and going to prepaid will only help a little bit.

JayMaster

More and more reasons why municipalities need to source their power else where but ke la eMzansi they do as they wish. Crooks.

krycor

Honorary Master
They won't give the REAL reason why they doing it but in short there is a big difference between collected money from postpaid and prepaid.
It's literally mentioned somewhere.. i read on news24. But yah they mention that prepaid doesnt include infrastructural overhead cost.. but this may be BS.. not sure. someone will need to dig up the original tariff plan and check what's included in it as, if i recall correctly this should be included in the cost/kwh such that its normalizes with bigger consumers covering more (bleh 'progressive'). Slapping on rental/infrastructure breaks this model.. me thinks drama coming with Nersa.

EDIT: Typo.. i meant they claim prepaid doesnt have a sufficient infrastructure element.

Last edited:

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
More and more reasons why municipalities need to source their power else where but ke la eMzansi they do as they wish. Crooks.
Yes/no, these increases are also used to plug the gap for other services.

E.g. in CT water prices went up insanely, we pay more for level 1 now than we did for level 3 last year to make up for all the people saving water.
1591018942625.png
They were also about to start warning about going back to water restrictions due to rainfalls being a little bit later than last year:
1591019025626.png
But note that due to everyone using less water as a norm:
1591019038015.png

Reactions: McT

Neuk_

Expert Member
It's literally mentioned somewhere.. i read on news24. But yah they mention that postpaid doesnt include infrastructural overhead cost.. but this may be BS.. not sure. someone will need to dig up the original tariff plan and check what's included in it as, if i recall correctly this should be included in the cost/kwh such that its normalizes with bigger consumers covering more (bleh 'progressive'). Slapping on rental/infrastructure breaks this model.. me thinks drama coming with Nersa.
That is not true at all, CoJ sharges us close to R500 before we have even used a single kWh, for network and service charges.

krycor

Honorary Master
btw i reckon estates with individual meters might want to change.