Big Joburg electricity price hikes planned

krycor

Honorary Master
That is not true at all, CoJ sharges us close to R500 before we have even used a single kWh, for network and service charges.
For pre-paid.. they claim that the post paid people cover it.. the prepaid meters do not. Typo i made..

btw I've always used post paid via estates so no clue on costs. Moved to Cpt this year and my eneergy costs seem higher though i am using a bit more due to lockdown living.

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
R200 on prepaid before you even get any electricity? Were probably asked by Eskom to sneak in the portion of the increase that NERSA rejected.

The fit is about to hit the shan...

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
For pre-paid.. they claim that the post paid people cover it.. the prepaid meters do not. Typo i made..

btw I've always used post paid via estates so no clue on costs. Moved to Cpt this year and my eneergy costs seem higher though i am using a bit more due to lockdown living.
Its a load of horseshyte... the municipalities get their own allowable increase, plus a markup over and above the Eskom figure to cover for their infrastructure costs.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Prepaid customers carry no credit risk or billing overhead for the city. It balances out.
Now they suddenly do.
Off topic, I noticed my prepaid is still in the name of the previous owner, so I went to the City Power in Roodepoort, apparently there is only one place in the entire Johannesburg that does prepaid name changes?? How in the 21st century can this not be done online? I'm not driving to freaking the South of Johannesburg to change the name of a prepaid meter in Roodepoort.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Now they suddenly do.
Off topic, I noticed my prepaid is still in the name of the previous owner, so I went to the City Power in Roodepoort, apparently there is only one place in the entire Johannesburg that does prepaid name changes?? How in the 21st century can this not be done online? I'm not driving to freaking the South of Johannesburg to change the name of a prepaid meter in Roodepoort.
It is done "online", but only that specific department in that specific location handles that specific function. Welcome to the world of retarded business rules that municipalities institute.

Lupus

Honorary Master
It is done online, but only that department handles that specific function. Welcome to the world of retarded business rules that municipalities institute.
Yup apparently in Johannesburg, which is huge, only has one place that does it. 25km away from me.

system32

Expert Member
Prepaid customers carry no credit risk or billing overhead for the city. It balances out.
That's way pre-paid is meant to be cheaper because:
1) No expensive meter reader service
2) Get paid upfront
3) No credit risk

From what I'm reading, they want parity between pre-paid and post-paid.

They need to allow solar feedin so I can offset their increases with the extra electricity I generate.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
That's way pre-paid is meant to be cheaper because:
1) No expensive meter reader service
2) Get paid upfront
3) No credit risk

From what I'm reading, they want parity between pre-paid and post-paid.

They need to allow solar feedin so I can offset their increases with the extra electricity I generate.
Lol feedin will be at like 1/4 the purchase cost. If they ever allow it.

system32

Expert Member
What's the best way to oppose these unjustified increases?
The product is the same and yet we are expected to may more?

What are the official channels available to fight this?

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Didn't postpaid need 2 months deposit? It's not really a credit risk and "billing overhead" is sending one dude to enter what the meter is at once every two months, don't think the overhead is very high.

rietrot

Honorary Master
Lol DA. What do you expect. It is costly to be governed properly.

neoprema

Expert Member
The only solar feed-in you're getting is the "tax feed-in" whereby they'll charge you tax for being off-grid. Wait for it. That R500bn loan aint paying back itself...

Mystic Twilight

Expert Member
Not sure why everyone is complaining about price hikes when electricity was promised to be free (and allow for [il]legal connections).

So anyway, the white collar middle class is just going to get squeezed even more as the bulk of the blue collar working class and under is going to increasingly resort to illegal connections. The wealthy will just go off grid.

McT

The Humble Scot!
Yes/no, these increases are also used to plug the gap for other services.
Yup. 100%. This is the only reason for the unscrupulous price hikes. The price we pay is usually grossly inflated above the actual "pass-on" cost.

What is going to hurt, though, is that we are going to paying a connection fee. Irrespective of how careful the consumer is with their usage, the consumer is going to be FLEECED. Swine!

Neuk_

Expert Member

Aaah, with you now ;)