Big Joburg electricity price hikes planned

simonbee

i wonder how they are planning on collecting the R200.

assume that this month, I buy enough electricity for 4 months (prior to price hike and with discovery miles discount). I then purchase no electricity in July, August or September. when I next top up in October, do they charge the basic for the 3 missed months?

Lupus

Honorary Master

assume that this month, I buy enough electricity for 4 months (prior to price hike and with discovery miles discount). I then purchase no electricity in July, August or September. when I next top up in October, do they charge the basic for the 3 missed months?
Probably on your municipal bill.

eye_suc

Expert Member

Doing that will automatically propel you to the top block, so you will be paying a crapload more per unit.

gimpex

Or reduce your units balance on the 1st of every month by an amount equal to R200.

CB40

My useless idiots in ekhruleni aren't increasing electricity prices.
Nope but some areas have a kak load of power outages like Parkrand ,Sunward Park and Van Dyk Park to mention just a few.

Sinbad

Honorary Master

On your rates bill

richjdavies

Crazy huh - it's almost like there's a cost to delivering electricity that is fixed no matter how much you use (you know maintenance... the thing everyone kak's over Eskom for not doing!!)

FYI - the reason prepaid should = post-paid cost, is they have to pay 2-8% over to the easypays / prepaid24's / blue labels of this world to COLLECT the prepaid money for them. There's nothing for free in this life!
(and the deposit on a post-paid account does earn interest that you DONT get!)

Lupus

Honorary Master
Soweto is supplied directly by Eskom so this has nothing to do with tricking them into prepaid meters.
Only half of Soweto is supplied by Eskom, the other half is supplied by City Power, Soweto is half the size of Cape Town, it's not a small little suburb in Johannesburg.

thechamp

Honorary Master
Only half of Soweto is supplied by Eskom, the other half is supplied by City Power, Soweto is half the size of Cape Town, it's not a small little suburb in Johannesburg.
Good to know.

Gaz{M}

Executive Member
Do these numb nuts not realise that this just accelerates the business case for any alternative energy sources in your home or office?

The whole point of prepaid is pre-earned revenue for electricity, with no debt risk for the municipality. They literally get the money up front for all the units. IMHO everyone should be on prepaid.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Do these numb nuts not realise that this just accelerates the business case for any alternative energy sources in your home or office?

The whole point of prepaid is pre-earned revenue for electricity, with no debt risk for the municipality. They literally get the money up front for all the units. IMHO everyone should be on prepaid.
Agreed everyone should be on prepaid, but they'd first have to fix their bloody systems so you can actually change owners in more than one place.

Happy Days

As a post-paid CoCT customer, I pay a Home User Charge of R142.02 ex VAT. This is paid very begrudgingly, but I will say that I can see, for the most part, what the DA is doing with our tax payer dollars. There's actual maintenance and upgrading of roads, services. etc.

zunaidp

City of Johannesburg is a Joke. Run by a bunch of clowns. Take the south of JHB for instance: We were forced to move onto Prepaid. They installed our Prepaid Meters whilst we were at work, without our consent. Yet, we are surrounded by a multitude of informal settlements who are given "free" electricity through their illegal connectivity. The current infrastructure is failing us paying consumers on a weekly basis. When the informal settlements lose power, they demonstrate violently and their electricity is restored speedily. Where's the balance? Yet, the CoJ wants to enforce a R200 surcharge over and above the actual recharges. SO many people have lost their jobs recently and some working on a lower salary, how on earth should Joburgers continue paying these ridiculous rates?