Big legal problem that let South African policeman get cellphone records

system32

Expert Member
If you've done nothing wrong - you've got nothing to worry about...

RICA - it's for your protection...
RICA - will stop crime...
RICA - war on terrorism...
RICA - think of the children...
RICA - If you've done nothing wrong - you've got nothing to worry about...

Just goes to show that RICA is a scam that abuses privacy rights and is easily abused...

Thor

Honorary Master
Why is he to blame when the court made the mistakes?

jpn

RICA Rights of Individuals Cast Aside
Government may walk all over your rights but you must respect theirs.

garp

Executive Member
"IOL reported" ... ends any hope of an unbiased account of anything involving Zille right there.

access

Executive Member
RICA so your number can be added to the national consumer database and the government can sell your number to a marketer.

its so cool.

MidnightWizard

Executive Member
SOP

Have equipments
WILL use
Stop me if you can
:mad:

WHERE are all those happy dudes that were always going on about -- "NOTHING TO HIDE"

Hephaestus

Forging
RICA so your number can be added to the national consumer database and the government can sell your number to a marketer.

its so cool.
Yes, that is very plausible, always wondered how the hell these marketing people get my number when I don't give it out to companies very easily, to avoid just that, the spam sms's

elvis_presley

Expert Member
Everyone's having fun dumping on RICA, but is this actually RICA's fault? From the article:

The Section 205 subpoenas that Scheepers used are defined in section 205 of the Criminal Procedures Act 51 of 1977.
The court should have insisted on an application in terms of RICA laws, which can only be considered by a judge who has been designated by the Minister of Justice for this purpose.
So he got the records because he didn't use RICA - RICA would have prevented him from getting the records, if I'm reading this right? Looks like the court messed up.

sajunky

Honorary Master
The first stage of RICA leak is at the network operator who register you for RICA. They illegaly intercept your personal data and store on their own servers before it is even handled over to RICA.

access

Executive Member
Yes, that is very plausible, always wondered how the hell these marketing people get my number when I don't give it out to companies very easily, to avoid just that, the spam sms's
nono, I freaked out one day and went on a big mission to find out how these people get my number. I was told this by the operator, then phoned around and it was confirmed. I freaked out even more and I was told to just do the removal procedure, after which I received MORE spam...

I don't know if the government really sells it to a marketer, I know its where they get my number from, but nothing is for free, specially with this lot in charge.

Hephaestus

Forging
nono, I freaked out one day and went on a big mission to find out how these people get my number. I was told this by the operator, then phoned around and it was confirmed. I freaked out even more and I was told to just do the removal procedure, after which I received MORE spam...

I don't know if the government really sells it to a marketer, I know its where they get my number from, but nothing is for free, specially with this lot in charge.
But the CPA was supposed to make sure these sms's, emails and postage does not go out and tempt people in making more debt.
Not 100% if this law has become active yet

GrammatonCleric

The worst part about this is that it costs a few cents...less than 10c if memory serves, for a marketing company to send you an SMS you don't want.

I think mobile operators and the government also benefit from this somehow.

Then, if you reply "stop" to each one, it costs you like R1.00 for them to make even more money. If you stop one of them, there's guaranteed to be another one to take its place. It's SO annoying! It grinds my nuts!

Hephaestus

Forging
The worst part about this is that it costs a few cents...less than 10c if memory serves, for a marketing company to send you an SMS you don't want.

Then, if you reply "stop" to each one, it costs you like R1.00 for them to make even more money. If you stop one of them, there's guaranteed to be another one to take its place. It's SO annoying! It grinds my nuts!
probably the only way around is to add the numbers on block list

access

Executive Member

here; create your own SMS spam company. just need the cellphone numbers and money to send the sms's

http://www.smsimpi.co.za/

set the sms service price yourself create the entire message and opt out price and settings and blablabla.

its this easy...

probably the only way around is to add the numbers on block list
there are some services that provide randomized numbers that circumvent blockers/ing.