Big M-Net rip-off for mobile voting on The Voice

Bradley Prior

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator
Big M-Net rip-off for mobile voting on The Voice

While WhatsApp and instant messaging platforms are by far the most popular medium of text communication in South Africa, SMS is not completely redundant yet.

For example, many game shows including The Voice South Africa ask viewers to vote for their favourite contestant via SMS, with each SMS costing a preset amount.

McGuywer

Executive Member
Very bad customer service from Afrihost. Really disappointing from them.
They should take ownership for this and drive the resolution.

OCP

Expert Member
Very bad customer service from Afrihost. Really disappointing from them.
They should take ownership for this and drive the resolution.
You seriously expected anything less from the same company that charged half of it's client base to test their new network for them?

Pfffft - It's like voting for the ANC; you get what you vote/pay for.

quovadis

Expert Member
They should look under the bonnet, touch base offline, grab the low hanging fruit and square the circle.
Before the two of you go and reinvent the wheel perhaps there is a synergy you could drill down into and brainstorm an action plan which could provide thought leadership and bring all the moving parts to the table so the DSTV management could flesh out the nuts and bolts to hit the ground running without having to go back to the drawing board.

Crowley

Executive Member
Before the two of you go and reinvent the wheel perhaps there is a synergy you could drill down into and brainstorm an action plan which could provide thought leadership and bring all the moving parts to the table so the DSTV management could flesh out the nuts and bolts to hit the ground running without having to go back to the drawing board.
That's what I said, isn't it?

:)

Swa

Honorary Master
Anything more than one vote is a scam and should be refunded.

Gambit

Expert Member
Clickbait title. This sounds like an Afrihost billing issue. People were also able to vote for free using the M-net website if they didn't want to pay the R1.50 for SMS.

quovadis

Expert Member
Anything more than one vote is a scam and should be refunded.
Notwithstanding the problem with the billing per transaction cost. It's not a scam if people are participating freely and understand the costs.

Kanichiwa

Completely, Illegal SMS Voting campaign...... WASPA an CPA need to investigate the SP that implemented the Voting campaign!!!

GhostSixFour

Mafia Addict
Wait. They were planning on spending R115.00 for voting? For some arb person on tv, to win something that might mirror a signing career?

Fsck me. People care about stupid things.

Kosmik

Honorary Master
Arb question, the article only states Afrihost mobile, were there not other mobile operators as well and they are just being shown up as they allow live detailed billing whereas direct operators are delayed?

Not protecting them, just asking. It would point to either a provider issue on Afrihost side when the sms was negotiated between networks OR the sms number provider possibly creating a incorrect charge. Looks like someone had a typo in a system ie: R 1.50 became R 11.50 but the weird thing is, the change took place in the middle of the process.

Unless the voting numbers were only created after a certain time? ie some contestants had a number with low charge but when the others were provisioned it was done at the higher amount?

kang

Wait. They were planning on spending R115.00 for voting? For some arb person on tv, to win something that might mirror a signing career?

Fsck me. People care about stupid things.
Agree. Whole-heartedly. So the person I voted for wins...then what? Do I get to say woo hoo. He won because I voted for him/her then I can get a thank you to all my fans from him/her

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Agree. Whole-heartedly. So the person I voted for wins...then what? Do I get to say woo hoo. He won because I voted for him/her then I can get a thank you to all my fans from him/her
Multichoice posts massive profits

GhostSixFour

Mafia Addict
Yeah. If people only cared this much about improving their own country.