Big online battle between Checkers and Woolworths

Hanno Labuschagne

MyBroadband
Staff member
Super Moderator
Big online battle between Checkers and Woolworths

South Africa’s high-end food retail market has traditionally been dominated by Woolworths, but Checkers is now grabbing a bigger slice of the pie thanks to various initiatives.

Checkers has traditionally targeted most market segments through its Checkers and Checkers Hyper stores.

Woolworths, in turn, focussed nearly exclusively on the high-end market with its Woolworths Food outlets.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Yeah, checkers still has a long way to go to compete with woolies in terms of their online platform.

HS2000

Woolworths is sometimes cheaper or the price difference is negligible.

Woolworths quality is at least consistent. I can't say the same for Checkers & Pick n Pay.

bokka1

Expert Member
We have a Checkers and Woolies food next to each other.

The only time I go into the Checkers is to buy A4 paper for the business.

Their service is abysmal.

Woolies has great fresh foods, the service is always excellent and the queue system works.

BUT when it comes to online sales then nobody compares to Checkers and Sixty60.

Sapphiron

Centadel
Company Rep
I wonder if the service levels is a regional thing.

Been getting great delivery service from Checkers in CPT (always under 2 hours).

Woolies in contrast has been terrible. Next day deliveries only occurring after 5 days, incomplete orders without prior notification.

I don't buy fancy food, so whether I get my Weetabix from woolies or checkers, I don't care, its just needs to arrive at the stated price when they say its going to arrive.

Crumbl0x

I wonder if the service levels is a regional thing.

Been getting great delivery service from Checkers in CPT (always under 2 hours).

Woolies in contrast has been terrible. Next day deliveries only occurring after 5 days, incomplete orders without prior notification.

I don't buy fancy food, so whether I get my Weetabix from woolies or checkers, I don't care, its just needs to arrive at the stated price when they say its going to arrive.
Probably yeah, I can only speak for Woolies but in the North West one that was closest, I mainly used their Click and Collect service and had multiple errors, omissions and goofs over the years. In the KZN one closest, I've been using their next day delivery service and they haven't dropped the ball once apart from minor replacements.

nivek

Executive Member
What online battle?

Woolworths product quality is the best, but when it comes to the online "battle" they don't feature and are complete rubbish compared to Checkers 60.. There's no comparison.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
The assumption is that Woolies is always the more expensive of the 2 but milk, sugar and coffee beans are often cheaper at Woolies.
Woolworths is sometimes cheaper or the price difference is negligible.

Woolworths quality is at least consistent. I can't say the same for Checkers & Pick n Pay.
Lol really? Checkers is much cheaper...

1617729789926.png

HS2000

What online battle?

Woolworths product quality is the best, but when it comes to the online "battle" they don't feature and are complete rubbish compared to Checkers 60.. There's no comparison.
Do you monitor your bank statements when using the Checkers app.

They charge R35 for delivery but also charge extra to cover any price differences.

Have you been refunded after adjusting the price?

I haven't noticed any refunds so far

HS2000

grok

Honorary Master
I've been ordering from Sixty-60 with extreme satisfaction. Only once been more than 15mins late and they compensated with a call from head office to apologise for the hour delay. Impossible to not appreciate such dedication and service.

In contrast I've tried many times but never once shopped online from Woolies, due to never an open slot within a reasonable time compared to.

Yeah no.. not with Sixty-60 delivering consistently within an hour from ordering. Maybe I'm spoilt, but if I'm that desperate for Woolies I have one of their food stores less than a km away so their deliveries (& lately price) have just never worked for me.

ToxicBunny

Do you monitor your bank statements when using the Checkers app.

They charge R35 for delivery but also charge extra to cover any price differences.

Have you been refunded after adjusting the price?

I haven't noticed any refunds so far
Every single time the bill is adjusted to the correct figure.

ToxicBunny

What online battle?

It's interesting the different opinions. Personally the checkers 60 platform is total dogshyte in comparison to woolworths online shopping because checkers don't have a proper website to do the shopping on.

Solarion

Honorary Master
I'm with you Woolworths. Your ready meals and hot foods are the bomb.

HS2000

It's interesting the different opinions. Personally the checkers 60 platform is total dogshyte in comparison to woolworths online shopping because checkers don't have a proper website to do the shopping on.
The checkers app is only available in limited areas.

Woolworths covers more of the country.

Don't get me started on Pick n Pay.

Pick n Pay delivers to a township not too far from my family but won't deliver to their home.