Big online shopping plans for Makro and Game to take on Takealot

SAguy

Executive Member
Competition is welcomed - Makro and Game have the perfect footprint to revamp. At least 50% of store space can be converted to collections/delivery.

They have the money to hire better developers than Takealot (does not take much) and then they have the commercial deals in place to beat Takealot on price even subsidize delivery as part of marketing spend for the first 3 years to take market share.

BoB will be the biggest loser sadly, but the reality is BoB can't take on big blue so we need to back the bigger guns as well.

IE we support
anyone > Takealot
Yeah, a recruiter for takealot contacted me on linkedin - salary bracket at about 70% of where I am now.
It's a competitive market now for good IT resources, you going to get what you pay for...

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
If Makro/Massmart is in the process of replacing systems, it means the old systems are/were outdated.

What were they using before SAP?
The sap move has been happening for years... It might be done by now.

I have no idea what their previous system was tbh, but they should be almost all on board with sap by now... But I think there was a lift and shift of business processes with it instead of fixing flawed process at the same time.

Petec

Expert Member
There is also a lot of internal politics and covering-your-ass.
Old guard people with ZERO digital experience making the lives hell for those who actually wanted to make Makro great and get it functioning in the digital era.
The in-fighting and protectionism is quite appalling

j4ck455

Executive Member
There is also a lot of internal politics and covering-your-ass.
Old guard people with ZERO digital experience making the lives hell for those who actually wanted to make Makro great and get it functioning in the digital era.
The in-fighting and protectionism is quite appalling
The imported Massmart CEO gets paid to deal with those and other problems, so he needs to do some arse kicking.

cpu.

Executive Member
Ahh ok, there I can agree... not a seperate company per se that starts from scratch but a seperate division to manage that aspect...

I might suggest they have an overarching warehouse/DC division for it as well as small pockets within stores because the stores themselves are warehouses. They need to leverage their entire national footprint as heavily as possible to provide the delivery turn arounds that would be useful in terms of sinking Takealot. I do agree on the "when shyte goes wrong, it does so spectacularly with Massmart online stuff".... and that they also need to sort out, but that is not the driving reason I don't use them for online shopping. For me the 5-7 day turnaround for an online order for collection of an item I know is in stock at my nearest Makro is just bollocks... I should be able to order and collect withing 30 minutes.
Not a good thing for us if they sink Takealot.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Not a good thing for us if they sink Takealot.
Well sink takealot from being the only really big ecommerce player....

I agree we wouldn't want them to put takealot out of business...

Bunta

F*(k makro. bought and paid for a collection order 3rd march. Made several attempts to contact their customer care via EMail, Calls, twitter mesenger, Facebook and Messenger, Nothing.
Call center says they out of stock at Montague gardens (but at the time of buying, 3 stores had stock as per their website, including Montague gardens where I opted to collect), Now they say they struggling to source stock.

**** you Makro

lexis

The local brick and mortar store can't even deliver on the items they advertise on special.

Took me three weeks after paying for a tv to get it. "No sir it will be here on Monday." "You must understand that the bigger stores enjoy preference, and then we will receive our stock." "We received such good reaction that we ran out of stock. We are waiting on the factory to manufacture 400 tv's." "Don't call us, we will call you." Hellopeter, National Credit Regulator, Facebook and several calls later I got the tv without a smile. Never again.

John_Phoenix

Expert Member
Competition is welcomed - Makro and Game have the perfect footprint to revamp. At least 50% of store space can be converted to collections/delivery.

They have the money to hire better developers than Takealot (does not take much) and then they have the commercial deals in place to beat Takealot on price even subsidize delivery as part of marketing spend for the first 3 years to take market share.

BoB will be the biggest loser sadly, but the reality is BoB can't take on big blue so we need to back the bigger guns as well.

IE we support
anyone > Takealot

If you only knew the hellfire takealot developers had to walk through to get and keep the site up, nights, weekends and dev relay. Each of the early (after the first purge) Devs deserve a medal.

The "main site" (it's a distributed service) was running on black magic, blood, sweat and tears for quite a while.

Bottoms up to all the takealot Devs!

Immortal_Souljah

If you only knew the hellfire takealot developers had to walk through to get and keep the site up, nights, weekends and dev relay. Each of the early (after the first purge) Devs deserve a medal.

The "main site" (it's a distributed service) was running on black magic, blood, sweat and tears for quite a while.

Bottoms up to all the takealot Devs!
Well those developers still did a bad job cobbling together components that just aren't as good as they should be.

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
Do they understand in online sales - minimum effort, maximum sales does not work, without trust an street cred. Their brand name ain't going to do it for them.

Chuck it on the floor and watch it walk out, don't work online.

cr@zydude

Executive Member
I'd like to see Makro and Game up their online system, but they have a long way to go. Just yesterday I bought an item which was in stock. In store collection will be ready in 10 to 14 working days. What the hell!?

Antelope

i placed an order,after almost 14 days and numerous unaswered calls and emails,my order tracking shows as collected. it completely skipped out the handed to courier and ready for collection process.
order was supposed to be picked up from a a makro locker.
terrible experience after a few good online shopping experiences with makro.
WhatsApp Image 2020-06-27 at 7.12.22 PM.jpeg