Big plans to break MultiChoice’s DStv monopoly on sport

Newsfeed

MyBroadband Newsfeed
Big plans to break MultiChoice’s DStv monopoly on sport

ICASA has released its Draft Sports Broadcasting Services Amendment Regulations 2018, which are aimed at making big sporting events accessible for free to all South Africans.

Many high-profile sporting events, especially for popular sports like soccer, rugby, and cricket, are currently only available to DStv subscribers.

3WA

Executive Member
Tax payers fund the national sports teams. We should be able to watch all their games for free. Except the national cricket team at world cups. No-one needs to see that.

Dups!

....Except the national cricket team at world cups. No-one needs to see that.
Hahaha!

I'll be honest here, the first time the Proteas "choked" I was fine with it and gave them some breathing room. The second time was when I really got fed up.

Since then I don't bother much.

genetic

Honorary Master
ICASA again screwing things up. This will only hurt the industry, and lower the quality of the television production.

InfidelGastro

Expert Member
Let's wait and see. The sports and the sports alone is THE only reason why I'm voluntarily letting myself be screwed over with a DSTV premium subscription. If it wasn't for that, I wouldn't even know that a service like DSTV even existed. I wouldn't hesitate, not for one second, to dump DSTV like a month old newspaper if it wasn't for the sports.

pedruid

Expert Member
Let's wait and see. The sports and the sports alone is THE only reason why I'm voluntarily letting myself be screwed over with a DSTV premium subscription. If it wasn't for that, I wouldn't even know that a service like DSTV even existed. I wouldn't hesitate, not for one second, to dump DSTV like a month old newspaper if it wasn't for the sports.
Add me.

Reactions: Wag

Fuzzbox

Expert Member
We have a pool of 3.5 million soccer players to choose from and yet we still have such a lousy standard of football in this country.
Even if it was free still wont watch that drivel.
We can't even qualify for a world cup.

Luke7777

Executive Member
Forget the exclusivity... just let everyone who wants to broadcast to his customerbase pay for the right to do so. If the SABC can afford it, then they are welcome to provide it for free to all South Africans.

Craig

Honorary Master
This will kill dstv. I might just get a TV license if this happens.

genetic

Honorary Master
Forget the exclusivity... just let everyone who wants to broadcast to his customerbase pay for the right to do so. If the SABC can afford it, then they are welcome to provide it for free to all South Africans.
This. If SABC can provide the billions required for soccer, rugby and cricket, they're more than welcome to do so.

Fuzzbox

Expert Member
The SABC used to be a monopoly before Multichoice came along.
It is not Multichoices fault that the SABC is now run by a bunch of idiots .
If the SABC was run properly they wouldn't be in this position they now see themselves in.
How will the SABC be able to bid for these events when they are BANKRUPT and need a bailout every year.
They should just close the SABC down and ICASA should stop interfering.

genetic

Honorary Master
The SABC used to be a monopoly before Multichoice came along.
It is not Multichoices fault that the SABC is now run by a bunch of idiots .
If the SABC was run properly they wouldn't be in this position they now see themselves in.
How will the SABC be able to bid for these events when they are BANKRUPT and need a bailout every year.
They should just close the SABC down and ICASA should stop interfering.
Exactly, if SABC was actually competitive, multichoice wouldn't have the monopoly.

It's an open market. Nothing stops the SABC from bidding. The ANC employed their cadres into high positions which eventually bankrupted the SABC by looting and corruption.

Luke7777

Executive Member
I don't see why it wouldn't be. All sport is broadcast in HD.

SuperSport and SABC's OB units are all HD. SuperSport is even trialing 4K productions, but only broadcast in HD.

http://web.sabc.co.za/sabc/home/tvob/facilities/details?id=647cfab9-60aa-4c6b-a9e7-e92840d8a37f&title=OB1J HD
We're talking about SABC here, which had the exclusivity for the tournament , not Supersport :) Did you wacth the MSL... some of the matches sure as hell didn't look like HD . But then again... could be my eyes :)