Big problems with driving licence renewals in South Africa

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Big problems with driving licence renewals in South Africa

Motorists across South Africa are complaining about problems with the driving licence renewal system, with calls to stop fining motorists for the time being and extending the validity of driving licences.

In a recent letter to MyBroadband, a Cape Town motorist said due to COVID-19 there were only four tellers at the civic centre licence department.

Last edited:

Gaz{M}

Executive Member
I have never in 20 years of using the internet, used such a piece of **** website as enatis online. Does anybody with web development experience know what sort of system is used to run it? It is some sort of weird session based thing, because you click on the link to renew your card, then a line scrolls across the top of your browser and sometimes you get to the next page. But you can then enter details and click "Next" and it bombs out to the home page again.

I honestly wish cancer on the people responsible for this monstrosity.

Peon

Expert Member
Benefits of remote area in North West province. Get there at 6am and sit on your plastic chair you brought with you. All the while chatting and making friends with the security guard.

08:05: No I didn't book online. "Ok dont worry go in and say the system was down and need to renew"

oronte

Expert Member
I'm one of those affected in Johannesburg. My driver's license expired at the begining of September and I've been trying in vain to get a slot since August. The only ones I've seen in the more than 20 times I've tried were in Vereeniging and other far out places. I understand the centres have been closed, but then all dates should be made available so you know how long you have to wait, even if it's a year from now, this random release of bookings is insane and impossible to guess when a slot might be available (if indeed they ever are). This system is utterly broken.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Motorists across South Africa are complaining about problems with the driving licence renewal system, with calls to stop fining motorists for the time being and extending the validity of driving licences.
Que? They did...

All learners licences, driving licence cards, temporary driving licences and professional driving permits that expired from 26 March up to 31 Aug 2020 are extended to 31 January 2021.

Sarg3_ZN

Expert Member
This renewal is just a money making racket. If the ass hats in charge were serious about the 4IR... if you use shift and 4 on the keyboard you get $ which is basically what the fourth industrial revolution ($IR) will be to all the connected cadres... anyway back on topic...

The drivers license should be renewable at any decent optometrist, it is after all just an eye test, they send the results to the chops at where ever the hell that hold that information and they get that plastic card printed, processed and sent to the optometrist that submited the eye test, problem solved. Issue now is that we won't be able to employ 20,000 useless staff at the testing centers to perform this process.

RedViking

Nord of the South
Now imagine having to do a roadworthy test every year....

Lol, these guys are super smart.

:X3:

cronjec

I have been struggling for a few weeks now to get an online appointment (have been driving around with an expired license). This morning again I checked just after 08H00 (as I do every Monday) and there were zero slots listed at any Gauteng DLTC.

Juzzy

I actually just collected my drivers license in Cape Town in the Northern Suburbs. The renewal process took an hour and half all in all and my license arrived 8 working days later. I stood in line to collect and sign for it for less than 10 minutes. Thank you CoCT for a great process and a city that works for you!

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Nobody ever says anything about the glacially slow pace that these people work at in government departments.
I've noticed this in Home Affairs and the Licensing departments. Their work seems to be to help 2 to 3 people per hour.
Everything is done like that sloth dude in the hop movie. That movie was funny, but when you see it in real life it is infuriating.
These people need to be paid by the number of people they assist.

hj007

Expert Member
So what happens to people like me whose licenses expire in the first week of September and beyond?
You get featured in the article.

Seriously, sorry! I'm sure they're working around the clock to find a solution to fix this :ROFL:

hj007

Expert Member
Nobody ever says anything about the glacially slow pace that these people work at in government departments.
I've noticed this in Home Affairs and the Licensing departments. Their work seems to be to help 2 to 3 people per hour.
Everything is done like that sloth dude in the hop movie. That movie was funny, but when you see it in real life it is infuriating.
These people need to be paid by the number of people they assist.

Yep... we need to keep unions out of government...

ALLANLR

When the entire system is broken it promotes corruption, by introducing any third party into a system that can then be manipulated to generate the maximum amount of money for the "workers" who are the slowest most inept state workers. The Government has announced Level 1 now. It is this continual state feeding that will kill the entire economy eventually, oh bugger that has already happened.

Easter Bunny

Expert Member
this is the perfect opportunity for the government to create a new R450m (or more) website where we can renew our drivers licenses.

Deandbn

I actually just collected my drivers license in Cape Town in the Northern Suburbs. The renewal process took an hour and half all in all and my license arrived 8 working days later. I stood in line to collect and sign for it for less than 10 minutes. Thank you CoCT for a great process and a city that works for you!
I think your expectations are very low tbh.. A friend told me that he applied for and received his British passport in 10 minutes flat in Croydon London.
It should be even quicker for a measly driving licence although I agree that 8 or more days are great for Africans.

ConfusedR

Expert Member
The ANC must be very proud.
Another goal achieved for getting South Africa into the "African Shithole Country" category.

dingaanone

PROCESS TO RENEW DRIVER LICENSE (How it should be done)

1) Get and complete license renewal form - Desk outside license office (5 Minutes) (No social distancing)
2) Covid fever Scan - Automated (30 Seconds) (No social distancing)
3) Covid Registration - Hand sanitizer protocol followed, A4 hard copy book (Why not make sure the Covid App is being used) (2 Minutes)
4) Get form for Eye test - Main counter show ID and old drivers license you are given a printed form - (5 Minutes) (No social distancing) (Queuing is done by moving from one seat to the next over and over again super spreader protocol)
5) Eye Test - Sit down and do the test, get result of test (5 Minutes) (Queuing is done by moving from one seat to the next over and over again super spreader protocol)
6) ID verification - Sit down give ID card, they check your thumb prints and take a new photo, print form and you sign, get for to go pay for license (5 Minutes (Queuing is done by moving from one seat to the next over and over again super spreader protocol)
7) Payment - Pay by cash or credit card, receipt printed out (5 Minutes)

Generous time given 5 + .5 + 2 + 5 + 5 + 5 + 5 = 30.5 minutes (This should be the absolute longest time taken per person)

PROCESS TO RENEW DRIVER LICENSE (How it is done)

No social distancing - Queuing is done by moving from one seat to the next over and over again super spreader protocol

Why it does not work - When you arrive there is a que outside the entrance, you get to the door in the que and then get asked what you are there for - You get sent to collect and complete the application form and start at the back of the que again - go through the fever scanner (if working no problem) - go to fill in the Covid register get told to wait, then after some time get explained to how to fill in your name cell phone number and ID - Then get told to wait, then get sent to the reception counter, hand over your application form and get quizzed as to why you came today, why you did not do it earlier, how is your health, how's your dog. Once the formalities are over you are asked for your license and ID, a form is printed out and you go sit in a que - Eye test get quizzed as to why you came today, why you did not do it earlier, how is your health, how's your dog. Once the formalities are over you are asked for the form supplied at reception and questioned as to why the form is in English and faded, the inspector gets up and walks away and talks to a person in the both next door, after lots of laughing and talking eventually he comes back and we go through the entire process again. Test done and form gets printed out for you to go to the IDE verification area. - ID verification you go through the same BS as previous process - Move on to payment sit in hot chairs again and a task that should at most take 2 minutes takes 15 to 20 minutes.

The result is you spend between 3 to 5 hour for a 30 minute process due to the following

1) Know process flow planning done - NO work SOP's in place
2) To many people to do one simple job (Job creation)
3) Staff with no discipline or interest in being at work
4) They are delivering a service not there for our social wellbeing - Forget the formalities and get the job done
5) they do not have proper working hours 08:00 to 17:00 as per the rest of the country and setup lunch and tea times with a person to stand-in for who ever goes on tea or lunch
6) They have vey bad attitudes and believe they know better than what you do as to what you need our require. They do not realize we pay Rates and Taxes making their jobs possible

Recommended SOP

1) Go straight through covid testing and recording - your visit will be recorded on the computer system or Covid App.
2) Go straight to eye testing and ID verification, one process all of our details are on the computer already
3) Pay for your license renewal and move along

Hand over the process to the private sector they will make it work efficiently