Big problems with MWEB need advice

nat

Hi There

Need some advice. I am a member of Mweb (ADSL), been with them for a long time, maybe too long. Last month I see on my bank statement and amount of R450 deducted and the description is “Internet” I phoned Mweb who said they know nothing about it. I then phoned my bank and asked them to trace it and they traced it to a company called “WorldNet Africa” they gave me a phone number which I called and, surprise, it was Mweb. I again spoke to Mweb, and again they said they cant trace this amount paid from my account. I decided to look for this mysterious company “worldwide Africa” and found a link that connected me to… surprise, Mweb.

Now I was fed up I demanded to speak to a supervisor and again, for the 10th time they asked me what was the reference number next to the transaction. I gave it again and oups, the supervisor discovered that this is my customer number with Mweb. Well, I though to myself problem solved, but not such thing. He continues arguing with me that I must have visited a site that MWEB hosts called Mweb ancestry!?. I tell him that I never visited such site as I am not even South African. He tells me that someone must have accessed to my computer and cheque account number. This is when I lost it, I asked how can they not take responsibility when it is my private costume number with Mweb that is appears on the transaction. He gives me some vague explanation that they have nothing to do with this site and they have no number or contact details, and I then enquire how can they call the site MWEB ancestry and claim they have nothing to do with it.

Now what the hell is going on, is someone at Mweb steeling, are they in a complete mess and what do I do? :confused:

antowan

Honorary Master
Have you used the site? If not, dont! Ask M-Web to check logs and sort it out or they will have the biggest crap storm hitting them this side of Rio's sewerage systems. Be polite and always be nice. If they bump you from one person to the next, suck it up and explain it over and over again. Notify your bank that it is an unauthorised deduction and that they should investigate as well. Keep contact numbers of the people helping you so that you can reach them to check on how far things are moving. Mweb is clearly the ones that need to fix this, but with your bank behind you, you have some leverage. Post your progress here. I am sure there are users here who can give more advice. I assume this is not your ADSL service fee in question...

Just checking...

nocilah

Banned
i had a similiar experience with Hollard insurance(unauthorised debits). if the supervisor is not going to help always be polite but firm and bump it up to the next highest person until someone with more power takes ownership or deals with it to your satisfaction.

a nice way to approach a big boss type dude is to apologise that you are having to talk to him and take his time, but the only reason why you are talking to him is because the staff below him either do not want to take ownership of your situation or do not have the power to. appeal to his/her sense of ego and always subconciously make them aware that they are the boss.

the results are usually ass kicking bosses who get results done.

the above technique does not work with telkom because telkom exist in another universe or parrallel world.

nat

Dearest Hlicon and Antowan

Thank you for you great advice and responses. But why doing the over niceness? I mean sure, I would not swear at them but getting angry and assertive? I cant help it when my short free time during the day is wasted on calling holding and re-explaining. I have decided however, regardless of the outcome, that I am cancelling my subscription with MWEB. They had the reputation of having good service but obviously that’s not the case. I hate it when people don’t take responsibility on something that is so clearly there fault. I was so pissed off today that I even though of going to the press. I am sure my bank will reverse the charge whether Mweb owns it or not, but the fact that they tried to get out of it amazes me.

Anyway cab you guys advice me which service provider you think I should go for. I tried webAfrica and I took they 24h test account and wasn’t happy with the performance. Any suggestions?

ic

White Walker [wearing a MyBroadband Jacket]
Super Moderator
At the risk of getting flamed, it is possible that the money did not get debited by MWEB, I suggest obtaining the full ACB Debit details from your bank, and then asking MWEB via written correspondence (email is best) to confirm whether they have any such bank account.

If MWEB says the recipient of the bank account does not belong to them, print out all the (email) correspondence, go to your nearest police station, open a case of fraud against the “WorldNet Africa” company, go back to your bank with the case number and get them to reverse the transaction - your bank will no doubt want to charge you for the reversal - no way around that, but you could possibly get that fee refunded back at a later stage.

If MWEB say that the recipient bank account is theirs, then write them an email stating that unless they refund the money they have illegally debited, you will be opening a case of fraud (criminal charge), and give them 48 business hours to comply, also get them to pay for the debit order transaction fee, as well as the government duty on the transaction.

nat

The latest

Firstly thank you IC I may very well follow these procedures, I got a call from Mweb and my bank this morning and Mweb changed their tune. They say that they are unable to trace this transaction although it is my customer number that is used as a reference. My bank has reversed the charge but also wants to investigate further. We are giving Mweb a week to come up with an explanation. I suspect that this is an inside job otherwise there is no ways anyone could have gotten hold of my banking details and my customer number. They were almost ready to let it go but I explained that if they don’t investigate we will.

Meanwhile I cancelled my subscription with them and instructed them to destroy my debit order and banking details. Can you believe it?!

Dolby

Honorary Master
uh oh ...

I've accessed that stupid ancestary site for Mweb members. Thought it was a free service. Am I going to get a large bill at the end of the month?

WickedWeasel

All I can say is watch your bank account and if you see anything funny, request a reversal.

With the whole Tiscali buy out etc, I am sure you are going to have some problems. Some crooked staff ect ? hoping it will all get lost in the system.

bb_matt

Executive Member
This is when debit orders become a pain in the rear-end.

If you go with another ISP, don't do a debit order if you can help it.
It's one of the benefits of having Hellkom as an ISP - everything goes onto the same monthly bill which you can pay anyway you wish.

ic

White Walker [wearing a MyBroadband Jacket]
Super Moderator
When this is resolved, I suggest that this thread should find its way into the MyADSL Consumerism forum - otherwise it will just get lost on page 3029 in the O/T forum...

Last edited:

nat

Ok last update. (I think...)

Got a call from MWEB late this afternoon. They discovered the source of the transaction… was them charging me manually and debiting another account … I didn’t even have the supervisor calling me just a young operator. I told her that I think I deserve an apology and she said “I am really really sorry” and kept silent.. I don’t know if this is a bull**** story and they are just trying to cover something it may be the case.

IC I would like very much to forward it to Consumerism forum as you suggested if there is indeed such thing. If it wasn’t for you here, my bank and some support I would have given up as I am sure many people do, there is no one to talk to and that’s a big problem.

RolandD

Hi Nat, thanks for pointing this out. I'm also a MWEB subscriber and had a look at my bank statements this morning, and what a shock. In April I was overcharged by R150, and this month by R 200. WTF ! Suggest all MWEB subscribers check their statements, would be interesting if there is more.

nat

Roland

This very concerning, MWEB is incredibly expensive but there excellent service was worth it. Things have clearly changed and I felt like I was dealing with Telkom when I tried to sort this mess up. I had no apologies and no compensation of any sort. I have subsequently cancelled my subscription with them.

BTW This fictitious company to which the amount was charged \was called “WorldNet Africa”. No one in Mweb knew what that was; eventually I was told that this is what Mweb was called before it became Mweb. Strange indeed

RolandD

Nat

Fortunatly I got an acceptable explanation from them. Seems that when upgrading/downgrading my cap they don't adjust the debit order details immediatly. Apparently I would have been charged that amount less the next month. Unfortunatly for them I also cancelled my subscription end of April. I now have a 20GB cap for less than I paid for their 6GB option.

DFantom

Expert Member
nat said:
But why doing the over niceness?
You attract more flys with honey

nat said:
Anyway cab you guys advice me which service provider you think I should go for.
Basically with ADSL you get the choice of SAIX, IS and UUNet. Now Mweb is actually reselling SAIX's service, and infact so are most people. So changing you won't find much different. I have no clue how or who does IS ADSL for public sales and UUNet is either direct with them or (I may be wrong) webafrica also resells.