Big win for Makate in Please Call Me battle

Nemesys

I would like to know how you quantify what revenue Vodacom gained through the Please call me feature. Surely between 10 and 20% of the please call me send from a Vodacom phone could be to one of the other networks. Those would then actually benefit the other network if indeed it resulted in a return call. I have never reacted to a please call me specifically numbers not listed on my phonebook.
No wonder the court ordered the two parties to engage and reach an acceptable compensation.

Lucas Buck

Expert Member
why not as he is claiming he invented it which isn't true so that makes this whole saga irrelevant.
Because he suggested the idea to his employers and for that he was told that he would be compensated. Irrespective of how much you think that he should get now, vodacom made promises that they didn't keep and are now paying the price.

rietrot

Honorary Master
Let's not rehash facts. Guy got salary. Guy was promised a profit share for this "idea". Court has ordered a share to be paid. Determination of share amount is under dispute.
Yeah because he isn't claiming just a share in the profit, what Vodacom offered him. He is claiming all the add revenue.

Gazg

Sorry Shameel........may have to take a pay cut buddy.

bixt

It is Vodacom's fault that they seem to have lacked an innovation reward system. So they ought to pay for that oversight. And the fact that his manager was able to promise him profit share for the product was stupid of the manager and Vodacom.
Im going to take up a managers post at a company. And hire a "friend" as a subordinate. At work Ill promise him billions for an idea (even though I as a manager am not authorised to do so). I wont pay him, he can take the company to court. Ill admit in court that I promised him the said billions. After he wins, we share the proceeds. Profit.

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
Im going to take up a managers post at a company. And hire a "friend" as a subordinate. At work Ill promise him billions for an idea (even though I as a manager am not authorised to do so). I wont pay him, he can take the company to court. Ill admit in court that I promised him the said billions. After he wins, we share the proceeds. Profit.
1593608175820.png

GhostSixFour

Mafia Addict
happy for him as well, but unfortunately the nature of capitalism, is the person with the deepest pockets wins.
what he should have done, is developed his idea further and sold it onward outside of Vodacom

similar story to Frank Whittle, who invented the Jet engine.
poor broke engineer, who sold his idea and gained little from it, even though it changed the world as we know it.

another of the reasons we live in a broken society, that all it takes is a well placed card removed for everything to collapse into a heap.
That's the whole point. It wasn't a fully formulated idea or anything of the like. Probably like two sentences or less written. Now he want's billions? Nah.

Swa

Honorary Master
Great, now a fair value can be determined and all those people saying he should get nothing can go away.

He got his salary. He wasn't entitled to much more.

He will never get Billions.
Vodacom also isn't entitled to the idea but used it anyway without an agreement in place. Many people at Vodacom fcked up and now he has them by the balls.

I would like to know how you quantify what revenue Vodacom gained through the Please call me feature. Surely between 10 and 20% of the please call me send from a Vodacom phone could be to one of the other networks. Those would then actually benefit the other network if indeed it resulted in a return call. I have never reacted to a please call me specifically numbers not listed on my phonebook.
No wonder the court ordered the two parties to engage and reach an acceptable compensation.
It's not about the return calls but the advertising in the message. Vodacom has those figures if not the return calls revenue as well.

eg2505

Honorary Master
That's the whole point. It wasn't a fully formulated idea or anything of the like. Probably like two sentences or less written. Now he want's billions? Nah.
the best ideas are the simplest, and the easiest to copy and exploit.

Imagine frank Whittle coming in and saying to his boss,

I want to make a airplane engine that compresses air, ignites it and uses the gasses to turn the propeller on the front to suck in more air.
people thought he was mad, same thing here,

when he came to his boss and said, I want to make a free service that allows you to send a SMS with your number and a phrase saying call me back,
to other people.

the idea is what makes millions, the implementation afterwards, is just to make it work in the real world.
Frank Whittles invention never made him wealthy, and so to did this guys "simple" idea.

should he get something? yes, but be reasonable in his expectations,
a percentage of sales generated will make him very wealthy, and over time will make him a billionaire.

rietrot

Honorary Master
Even if he fully implemented and developed the idea and got the advertisers on board all by himself, billions is still ridiculous.

Tman*

Expert Member
the year is 2056 - this guy will still be running back and forth to get his cash

Napalm2880

Expert Member
Reminds me of an ex colleague that came up with a solution for a problem they had at the company, which not only saves the company literally millions of rand each year, and have been doing so for more than 20 years. And to top it all, to use this solution costs about R50 once every three days. His recognition was a coffee mug with the company logo on and a certificate of recognition.
A ex-colleague of mine claimed to have invented CDV for South African bank account numbers. The idea was since stolen, leaked and is now often offered as a free service. For many years however it was a paid for value add, especially on debit orders where it was an order of magnitude cheaper to check the banking details than to have a debit order fail. I'd imagine he'd have a very comfy retirement if he patented that idea.

Gnome

Executive Member
the idea is what makes millions, the implementation afterwards, is just to make it work in the real world.
Regardless of how I feel about the "Please call me" situation, this misconception is one of the most infuriating misconceptions I face as an engineer.

There is always some "idea" guy who wants to pitch me his idea to build.
He gets 50% and he gives the ideas and I just need to implement it.

Ideas are worthless.
You need the capital, the manpower and a significant level of engineer to turn a idea into a product.

It is a huge undertaking with a lot of risk.
In a company it looks easy because they are fitting the bill, but when it doesn't pan out, they take a huge financial hit.

Not to mention that if you look over history, most ideas build on top of very small increments coupled with a lot of engineering to actually make it into what we know.

Ideas are literally worthless, there are billions of people with ideas and a significant number of them who always think they are the "next Google".
If only they realized Google wasn't a idea, it was a piece of software engineered by two students that compelled them to leave their jobs and start their own company and included a large amount of work and risk

Swa

Honorary Master
Regardless of how I feel about the "Please call me" situation, this misconception is one of the most infuriating misconceptions I face as an engineer.

There is always some "idea" guy who wants to pitch me his idea to build.
He gets 50% and he gives the ideas and I just need to implement it.

Ideas are worthless.
You need the capital, the manpower and a significant level of engineer to turn a idea into a product.

It is a huge undertaking with a lot of risk.
In a company it looks easy because they are fitting the bill, but when it doesn't pan out, they take a huge financial hit.

Not to mention that if you look over history, most ideas build on top of very small increments coupled with a lot of engineering to actually make it into what we know.

Ideas are literally worthless, there are billions of people with ideas and a significant number of them who always think they are the "next Google".
If only they realized Google wasn't a idea, it was a piece of software engineered by two students that compelled them to leave their jobs and start their own company and included a large amount of work and risk
LOL, it's not a misconception. This is the age old debate of ideas vs invention. One contends that inventions are everything while the other contends that nothing can happen without an idea. I'd put it 50/50. The only people who think ideas are worthless are the ones who've never had any ideas.