Biggest daily COVID-19 increase in South Africa since 27 March

trenton

All the naysayers are going to look real stupid real soon. We need a 1st world response unlike the US & UK pretenders.

Daruk

Honorary Master
Biggest daily COVID-19 increase in South Africa in two weeks

Health Minister Zweli Mkhize has announced that there are now 2,173 confirmed coronavirus cases in South Africa – a daily increase of 145.

This is the biggest daily increase since Friday 27 March when the national coronavirus lockdown kicked in.
It's not a daily increase tho is it ... It's a cumulative increase after slow reporting. They STILL have not reported this death:
www.dispatchlive.co.za/amp/news/2020-04-12-health-mec-confirms-eastern-cape-death-despite-no-national-confirmation/

What's up with that?

Also, it was announced yesterday that 22 prison officials and 3 inmates in an EL correctional facility were confirmed positive but the numbers in EC are only up 18?

Either someone is pulling the wool or this reporting is seriously bad.

Last edited:

Techne

Honorary Master
Is there a graph to compare the tests per day? Once the newly installed Roche machine begin to operate another spike in cases should be expected.

Daruk

Honorary Master
Last edited:

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
This is unfortunately standard stuff from our government... It's like a 2yr old with his candy and not sharing cos it's his...

Our government in general almost without fail seems to not even vaguely understand people in general and how to get them to comply willingly... Hint to them, it's not by being dictatorial and authoritarian.... Treat them like adults with information and the average person will willingly comply with these sorts of things...

krycor

Honorary Master
This is unfortunately standard stuff from our government... It's like a 2yr old with his candy and not sharing cos it's his...

Our government in general almost without fail seems to not even vaguely understand people in general and how to get them to comply willingly... Hint to them, it's not by being dictatorial and authoritarian.... Treat them like adults with information and the average person will willingly comply with these sorts of things...
Because this has worked well in developed economies where people are generally law abiding so will definitely work here

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Because this has worked well in developed economies where people are generally law abiding so will definitely work here
Note, because it seems to escape some people.... I am not suggesting they don't make regulations and enforce them and all that. I am referring to the release of information and also the manner in which our government actually interacts with the citizens and enforces the regulations....

Daruk

Honorary Master
Note, because it seems to escape some people.... I am not suggesting they don't make regulations and enforce them and all that. I am referring to the release of information and also the manner in which our government actually interacts with the citizens and enforces the regulations....
Yeah, sjambokking certain elements of your population is going to inspire patriotism in them lol.

smi

Expert Member
How dare you align the government with using intelligence....

Lupus

Honorary Master
Though to be fair our percentage of positive tests is still very low. Under 3%...
It is, but it's also because we don't have a massive amount of people ending up in hospitals with upper respiratory infections.

Mila

Honorary Master

lkswan747

Expert Member
In my opinion, something is very skew with the number of infections and deaths due to the COVID-19 virus! Why are the numbers so low? The trend worldwide was for a sharp increase in the number of infections yet SA seems not to be following the worldwide trend, why?
We know that we haven't done enough testing so how can government be so certain of the reported cases. I believe that the onslaught is yet to begin. Despite the lockdown there are far to many people walking/riding around for my liking. There are too many people who are not taking this pandemic serious and are inevitably posing a serious risk to those of us who are taking the necessary precautions.
Please note that the above is my opinion and is in no way meant to criticise or create panic, stress or negativity.

RedViking

Nord of the South
In my opinion, something is very skew with the number of infections and deaths due to the COVID-19 virus! Why are the numbers so low? The trend worldwide was for a sharp increase in the number of infections yet SA seems not to be following the worldwide trend, why?
We know that we haven't done enough testing so how can government be so certain of the reported cases. I believe that the onslaught is yet to begin. Despite the lockdown there are far to many people walking/riding around for my liking. There are too many people who are not taking this pandemic serious and are inevitably posing a serious risk to those of us who are taking the necessary precautions.
Please note that the above is my opinion and is in no way meant to criticise or create panic, stress or negativity.
1. It doesn't really effect us due to demographics..

2. We haven't started testing yet and have no idea what the real impact is yet.

More likely #2. But we won't know if it is #1 until they start #2