Bikini model says SARS ruined her life

Compton_effect

Honorary Master
http://www.timeslive.co.za/thetimes/2014/02/18/bikini-model-says-sars-ruined-her-life

Swimwear model Candice van der Merwe's life has been "devastated" by the "draconian" South African taxman.

Yesterday the Cape Town High Court ordered that she could be hauled before a SARS tax inquiry.

Her father, Cape Town businessman Gary van der Merwe, has been involved in tax fraud litigation amounting to millions of rands for almost a decade.

The 21-year-old model claimed late last year that an unknown Arab admirer gave $15.3-million (about R168.3-million) after she caught his eye at a private Seychelles resort.

"In 2012, I was contracted through Ice Models to travel to the Seychelles to the Plantation Club on Mahe Island. The Plantation Club is a private resort in the Seychelles which is owned and frequented by some of the richest private individuals in the world," she stated in her affidavit.

While her father pleaded poverty, authorities suspect that he is the person who put the millions in her bank account.

In December, SARS launched a tax inquiry into the financial affairs of Van der Merwe, his daughter and 11 others linked to him.

The family then tried to interdict SARS from hauling them before an inquiry and tried to contest the constitutionality of the Tax Administration Act.

Said the model: "I have only just turned 21 years old and work as a model. Since September last year my life has been devastated by the draconian actions which SARS has taken against me.

"I am now to be subjected to an inquiry which I read is allegedly costing R135000 a day."

Both father and daughter also sought access to SARS' court documents when the application for the inquiry was made.

But Judge Anton Veldhuizen dismissed the application for an interdict and ordered that they pay the costs of SARS counsel.

The Van der Merwes' lawyer, Cornel Stander, said they are yet to decide what legal steps to take.

"I have a consultation scheduled with counsel and then we will make a decision," said Stander.

Now either daddy attempted to hide his assets with her, or she is the most expensive lay on the planet.

LCBXX

Honorary Master
She should have said nothing of the "donation" paid by the admirer.

Reactions: ES1

Compton_effect

Honorary Master
That is not worth $15.3 Million. And what kind of girl is stupid enough to admit she took a contract to go to a 'Private Resort' in the Seychelles. She didn't just hold hands with the guys there. (Yes - I'm jealous I'm not a member)

“Churchill: "Madam, would you sleep with me for five million pounds?"
Socialite: "My goodness, Mr. Churchill... Well, I suppose... we would have to discuss terms, of course... "
Churchill: "Would you sleep with me for five pounds?"
Socialite: "Mr. Churchill, what kind of woman do you think I am?!"
Churchill: "Madam, we've already established that. Now we are haggling about the price”

Hemi300c

Honorary Master
unknown Arab admirer gave $15.3-million (about R168.3-million) after she caught his eye at a private Seychelles resort.
Yeah right always an unknown Arab - prove it and if you can't and even if you can it'll be taxable.

blunomore

Honorary Master
While her father pleaded poverty, authorities suspect that he is the person who put the millions in her bank account.

Can a paper trail not be traced back to identify the depositor in order to find out who is telling the truth?

And on another note: take a number, Candice van der Merwe, SARS has ruined all of our lives :)

Reactions: ES1

Compton_effect

Honorary Master
http://mg.co.za/article/2013-11-22-sa-models-r150m-gift-riles-taxman

In her affidavit, Van der Merwe says she has been a model since her primary school days.

“In 2012 I was contracted through Ice Models to travel to the Seychelles to the Plantation Club on Mahe Island.

“The Plantation Club is a private resort in the Seychelles which is owned and frequented by some of the richest private individuals in the world.

“They include multi-US dollar billionaires for whom money is no object. This type of resort is the playground of the super-wealthy where they can relax in total privacy …

“It is the norm for lavish parties and events to be held … Models from only the trusted agencies are routinely flown in from all over the world to lend a sense of glamour and exclusivity to these events …

“On my first trip to the Seychelles from 13 October to 17 October 2012 I got on very well with the persons I met at the private resort. While I cannot be certain as to the reasons for this, I suspect that it included the following factors: I have a very healthy lifestyle and I do not smoke at all or drink alcohol other than in negligible quantities on social occasions and I follow a strict exercise regime. I have also been told that I have a very engaging personality.

“This resulted in me being booked through Ice Models to travel to the Seychelles on subsequent occasions.”

The Plantation Club hotel was acquired under controversial circumstances in 2008, when the government of the Seychelles forced the previous owner into liquidation. The property was sold to a company linked to Abdul Mohsin bin Abdulmalik Al-Shaikh, a wealthy businessperson close to the Saudi royal family.

'Playboy mansion'
According to a Seychelles opposition website, the resort, now managed by Kempinski Hotels, has become a “playboy mansion for Arab princes”.

Ok. she's 21. And daddy allowed her to travel to what sounds like a expensively Saudi brothel in 2012 - when she was 19 :wtf:
Whichever way this story goes - that is a really dysfunctional family.

DJ...

Banned
What the hell is she bitching about? SARS have decided to investigate the transaction.

Whoopdeefsckingdo...

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Damn, I hope that anonymous Arab got his money's worth.....