Birth certificate amendment

CuriousChristopher

Hey guys my dad was not on my birth certificate when I was born and I've just recently added him (I'm 20). The amendment has been completed and my dad is now on my birth certificate. Will my father be inserted into my vault copy? I want to apply for a British passport and you need to supply a vault copy birth certificate.

Juggy

Executive Member
You sure you need a vault copy? I called the UK passport office and they said all I needed was the unabridged birth certificate with my mother and fathers names on it. I have an added complexity as I am adopted however my adopted fathers details are on the unabridged birth certificate (My adopted father was born in Yorkshire).

CuriousChristopher

It's just from what I've read online, if I only need an unabridged that would be very good news! I am dreading having to get a vault copy because I don't know if mt father will be on my vault copy. Did you apply recently or was it a while back?

Juggy

Executive Member
It's just from what I've read online, if I only need an unabridged that would be very good news! I am dreading having to get a vault copy because I don't know if mt father will be on my vault copy. Did you apply recently or was it a while back?
I am actually in the process right now. I live in Qatar and my parents live in the UK so getting all the documents together is a bit of a mission. I will send all my docs to my father who will apply on my behalf.

ISP cash cow

Executive Member
Hopefully they have changed the rules (they were considering doing it due to the dept of home failures not able to provide vault copies of birth certificates), back in 2015 I applied for my UK passport and I had struggled for 3 years trying to get a vault copy of my birth certificate (with no luck) eventually tried to just use an unabridged birth certificate (as a lot of people said they had done this).

I submitted my unabridged certificate and my application got flagged and I was contacted to provide a vault copy and they would not accept my unabridged certificate. I tried for another 3 months to get a vault copy again without luck. eventually her majesty home office contacted me and sad they had to finalise the application one way or another. I told them that I was having no luck with the home affairs on getting my vault copy. they said to me if I had a bridged copy of my birth certificate which was stamped in the year of my birth they would accept both my unabridged I provided and my bridged copy as proof. thankfully I did have that document and so got my passport, but no thanks to our home affairs.

I cannot think the DHA has got any better since 2015 and so hopefully the UK has become more lenient on the matter

CuriousChristopher

I am actually in the process right now. I live in Qatar and my parents live in the UK so getting all the documents together is a bit of a mission. I will send all my docs to my father who will apply on my behalf.
It is an absolute mission. Is it a different process if you have your father apply on your behalf? Most people seem to be doing it through couriers.

CuriousChristopher

Hopefully they have changed the rules (they were considering doing it due to the dept of home failures not able to provide vault copies of birth certificates), back in 2015 I applied for my UK passport and I had struggled for 3 years trying to get a vault copy of my birth certificate (with no luck) eventually tried to just use an unabridged birth certificate (as a lot of people said they had done this).

I submitted my unabridged certificate and my application got flagged and I was contacted to provide a vault copy and they would not accept my unabridged certificate. I tried for another 3 months to get a vault copy again without luck. eventually her majesty home office contacted me and sad they had to finalise the application one way or another. I told them that I was having no luck with the home affairs on getting my vault copy. they said to me if I had a bridged copy of my birth certificate which was stamped in the year of my birth they would accept both my unabridged I provided and my bridged copy as proof. thankfully I did have that document and so got my passport, but no thanks to our home affairs.

I cannot think the DHA has got any better since 2015 and so hopefully the UK has become more lenient on the matter
I wonder if my vault copy would have been amended since the process we followed was called "inserting a father's particulars into a birth certificate". If the certificate referred to is the vault copy I should be fine as long as home affairs can produce it but if the vault copy remains as it was (without my father's particulars) then the vault copy would be useless.

Juggy

Executive Member
It is an absolute mission. Is it a different process if you have your father apply on your behalf? Most people seem to be doing it through couriers.
My adopted father applied when I was 16 (I am 45 now) and was turned down due to me being adopted. Apparently the law changed ~5 years ago so now adopted children can get a British passport from their male parent. Also, as a child my fathers parents changed their surname to my grandmothers surname (she was born in the UK as Spencer, my grandfather was born in Poland as Kaminsky) when they fled Germany in the 2nd world war so there are surname change documents as well for my adopted father.

He has gone through it before and will be in the UK so hopefully will be easier for him to complete.