Bitco FTTH NAT IP

Soljaah

Hey guys,

So I just moved over from Cool Ideas to Bitco, with Vumatel remaining as the fibre provider.

On Cool Ideas I had a dynamic public IP, but now on Bitco I am getting an internal IP with NAT.

Bitco are a bit clueless and I do not want to have to pay extra for a static IP (which I don't need).

Is this something Vumatel can sort out or has anyone had experience in getting Bitco to dish out a dynamic public IP?

Nobby

HI.

I had the same problem with them.
I am on frogfoot.
They would not give me a public IP unless i paid for it.
There web site says that you get a dynamically changing public IP address but they will not give me one.

Soljaah

Yeah on the FAQ, it says this about the IP allocation:

Our implementation of IP’s is ultimately dependent on the Fibre Network Operators (FNO) architecture. With most FNO’s we can provide one dynamically changing public IP address and in some cases we have to NAT. Should you require a static IP address there will be a small fee charged per month. The BitCo representative will advise on the monthly cost. (Provided the FNO’s Network can support a static IP).

I know that Vumatel support it because it was working with Cool Ideas + Vuma.

I've reached out to their support and spoke with them. They're going to try find out so I'll let you know if I have any success.

clickingbuttons

Expert Member
Good to know this.

I was considering Bitco at some point in future but I would rather not deal with the hassle.

Nobby

Yeah on the FAQ, it says this about the IP allocation:

I know that Vumatel support it because it was working with Cool Ideas + Vuma.

I've reached out to their support and spoke with them. They're going to try find out so I'll let you know if I have any success.
Let me know if you come right.

I took screen grabs of there web site and when i was on the phone with them got them to open there web page and look what there web page says.
They just said sorry. If you need a public ip then it the extra R50 a month.

Soljaah

Confirmed with a friend who works there, for all GPON based FTTH, they are using NAT.
And like you said, the only way to get a public IP is to pay the R50 for a static IP.