Bitco home wireless internet

Chaoticelf

Guys came through with a 3m pole and a tree is blocking signal but they can pick up the highsite. They left now to pick up a 6m pole.

Chaoticelf

Received feedback from PM that survey report was completed and is being reviewed. From the discussion I had with the guy that did the survey, they can pick up 3 highsites from my house but only one is pointing at my house which LOS is blocked by a tree. The other highsite which is a bit further away which I have direct LOS with is not facing my house.

So there is 3 options he said:

1. I have the tree cut down (This can't happen since its on the property of a school)
  2. They move the sector on the highsite to face me to get signal (Can be done since only one customer using that highsite)
  3. They put up a new highsite (Which will cost them and will never happen)
So I have to wait again on the outcome.

VandaL

Received feedback from PM that survey report was completed and is being reviewed. From the discussion I had with the guy that did the survey, they can pick up 3 highsites from my house but only one is pointing at my house which LOS is blocked by a tree. The other highsite which is a bit further away which I have direct LOS with is not facing my house.

So there is 3 options he said:

1. I have the tree cut down (This can't happen since its on the property of a school)
  2. They move the sector on the highsite to face me to get signal (Can be done since only one customer using that highsite)
  3. They put up a new highsite (Which will cost them and will never happen)
So I have to wait again on the outcome.
That one customer really not gonna like you if they choose option 2.

Dretastic06

so after running perfect for the first day and pretty much unbearable since then this is the reply, i got please let me know if im being unreasonable with my expectations:

Morning Andre.

Below is a test that I have just done to check internet speed to your dish. A1

Yes you can only reach your full speed on cable, if you are the only device and the device is not using any internet.

We can go into more depth if you should choose.

Unfortunately there are quite a few things that can interfere with your wireless routers signal and signal of the dish to the tower.

Examples of this is other wireless routers in your direct vicinity, like your neighbours routers etc. This is why we always recommend a cable test to eliminate if there is a connection issue between your device and router.

Considering that this is a 1:10 contention connection. In other words, you are on a 20Mbps package and if 10 Customers are using the full 20Mbps you should get 10Mbps if you do not use any and only running a test. This will be in line with your 4 – 10 Mbps tests that you referring to.

I will admit that the nature of internet of your area in particular is very high. It seems that torrents is the normal everyday thing and that the downloads and uploads is very high coming from that tower.

What does this mean for you?

That in peak times people suffer getting a high speed like 20Mbps and will only get 10Mbps and if you use your internet as well it could even be less.

You will find running a speedtest in nonpeak times, results in better readings than in peak times.

This also accounts for zoom. Because everybody is using it now since nobody can actually attend due to covid-19, the load on their servers is also increasing.

The second thing that plays a big role in the quality of Youtube, Netflix and Showmax. Is the streaming device. We see a lot of devices out there that has just enough cpu power to switch on.

Anycast, Mi box, My Gica, etc. to name a few. I myself use the Chromecast and have installed quite a few at customers with hardly to no issues.

We have very seldom complains about internet speeds and we try to resolve them as quick and best we can.

If you feel that the service is not to your liking or is not meeting your expectation. I will credit any money paid to date and schedule removal of out equipment.

Chaoticelf

so after running perfect for the first day and pretty much unbearable since then this is the reply, i got please let me know if im being unreasonable with my expectations:

Morning Andre.

Yes you can only reach your full speed on cable, if you are the only device and the device is not using any internet.

Unfortunately there are quite a few things that can interfere with your wireless routers signal and signal of the dish to the tower.

Examples of this is other wireless routers in your direct vicinity, like your neighbours routers etc. This is why we always recommend a cable test to eliminate if there is a connection issue between your device and router.

Considering that this is a 1:10 contention connection. In other words, you are on a 20Mbps package and if 10 Customers are using the full 20Mbps you should get 10Mbps if you do not use any and only running a test. This will be in line with your 4 – 10 Mbps tests that you referring to.

I will admit that the nature of internet of your area in particular is very high. It seems that torrents is the normal everyday thing and that the downloads and uploads is very high coming from that tower.

That in peak times people suffer getting a high speed like 20Mbps and will only get 10Mbps and if you use your internet as well it could even be less.

You will find running a speedtest in nonpeak times, results in better readings than in peak times.

This also accounts for zoom. Because everybody is using it now since nobody can actually attend due to covid-19, the load on their servers is also increasing.

The second thing that plays a big role in the quality of Youtube, Netflix and Showmax. Is the streaming device. We see a lot of devices out there that has just enough cpu power to switch on.

Anycast, Mi box, My Gica, etc. to name a few. I myself use the Chromecast and have installed quite a few at customers with hardly to no issues.

We have very seldom complains about internet speeds and we try to resolve them as quick and best we can.

If you feel that the service is not to your liking or is not meeting your expectation. I will credit any money paid to date and schedule removal of out equipment.
This was the same response I got from the previous WISP I used before applying for Bitco. Currently still using my 10mbps ADSL since this is all that is available to me.

I must disclose that I always had the ADSL and tried a WISP that offered 15mbps. Their network couldn't even handle 2 of my devices connected to their network when I still needed to connect a further 6 devices. I got the response you received above and canceled with them. I'm still waiting for feedback from Bitco regarding the survey report but I think that they maybe not willing to do all the work required to get me connected. Will give it 2 more weeks and then cut my losses. So glad I didn't cancel my ADSL

Dretastic06

This was the same response I got from the previous WISP I used before applying for Bitco. Currently still using my 10mbps ADSL since this is all that is available to me.

I must disclose that I always had the ADSL and tried a WISP that offered 15mbps. Their network couldn't even handle 2 of my devices connected to their network when I still needed to connect a further 6 devices. I got the response you received above and canceled with them. I'm still waiting for feedback from Bitco regarding the survey report but I think that they maybe not willing to do all the work required to get me connected. Will give it 2 more weeks and then cut my losses. So glad I didn't cancel my ADSL

I dont have any other option but LTE as ADSL has been stolen years ago. I dont mind sharing the internet but why must my latency and speeds suffer so much for others abusing the download the entire day. I will cancel with them as i found a new WISP who said they i will get what i pay for.

Chaoticelf

I dont have any other option but LTE as ADSL has been stolen years ago. I dont mind sharing the internet but why must my latency and speeds suffer so much for others abusing the download the entire day. I will cancel with them as i found a new WISP who said they i will get what i pay for.
Good luck with the new WISP and let us know how it goes

VandaL

Morning Andre.

So your issue is most of the day you cannot attain the 20mbit and they are now hiding behind contention ratio blaming it on people torrenting on your tower therefore congestion is high. He does say you should be getting 10mbit regardless so anything below should be a red flag on an idle link , he is correct in saying you cannot complain about speed on your own wifi as there are too many factors that could cause issues there. So your cable test should be the main source to determine your link speed, when doing it ensure other devices are not also trying to use the bandwidth to get an accurate result. http://speedtest.mybroadband.co.za/

With regard to Zoom/general high latency, even with a congested highsite your link at idle shouldn't experience massive latency as they should have good QoS rules in place to ensure all customers connected to that tower are not negatively effected by a heavy downloader. Download pingplotter it's a free program that visually shows you latency and ping across all hops, when the link is idle you should see latency issues immediately. Ping 8.8.8.8 and just watch it over 10mins on an idle connection

Other customers activity should not effect your links latency at idle, that's just bottom line. Speed however isps always hide behind contention ratio, and there really isn't much you can do. That other crap about Netflix etc I don't understand.

So to update about Bitco wireless. After chatting to the NOC guy my issue with download speed has seemingly disappeared, I've been running the odd random test and the link maxes out at 32mbit/17mbit everytime. I have ping plotter open on the other screen and the link seems just brilliant now. The billing issue is whatever, it will be sorted out properly eventually at the end of the day it's a two year contract so any overcharge is just going to be credited.

So the PL and ping spike on this was from my doing a speedtest. But you get the idea, the typical round trip being around 25ms.

Capture.JPG .

Last edited:

Dretastic06

So your issue is most of the day you cannot attain the 20mbit and they are now hiding behind contention ratio blaming it on people torrenting on your tower therefore congestion is high. He does say you should be getting 10mbit regardless so anything below should be a red flag on an idle link , he is correct in saying you cannot complain about speed on your own wifi as there are too many factors that could cause issues there. So your cable test should be the main source to determine your link speed, when doing it ensure other devices are not also trying to use the bandwidth to get an accurate result. http://speedtest.mybroadband.co.za/

With regard to Zoom/general high latency, even with a congested highsite your link at idle shouldn't experience massive latency as they should have good QoS rules in place to ensure all customers connected to that tower are not negatively effected by a heavy downloader. Download pingplotter it's a free program that visually shows you latency and ping across all hops, when the link is idle you should see latency issues immediately. Ping 8.8.8.8 and just watch it over 10mins on an idle connection

Other customers activity should not effect your links latency at idle, that's just bottom line. Speed however isps always hide behind contention ratio, and there really isn't much you can do. That other crap about Netflix etc I don't understand.

So to update about Bitco wireless. After chatting to the NOC guy my issue with download speed has seemingly disappeared, I've been running the odd random test and the link maxes out at 32mbit/17mbit everytime. I have ping plotter open on the other screen and the link seems just brilliant now. The billing issue is whatever, it will be sorted out properly eventually at the end of the day it's a two year contract so any overcharge is just going to be credited.

So the PL and ping spike on this was from my doing a speedtest. But you get the idea, the typical round trip being around 25ms.

View attachment 903644 .
Thank you so much, like I told him i dont mind the variable speeds but not in the evening when i want to watch some tv and then it crawls to bout 4-8mbps and the latency is through the roof. I also dont get why my experience needs to suffer because of others abusing the bandwith.

PS: we had loadsheding now and im sure im the only with a UPS connected to the tower, my speeds and latency looked like it was from fibre lol and then the electric went back on and we back to doggy poo!

Dretastic06

So with all this confusion, telkom came to the party with the 1TB deal for R999 month to month. I still have a b525 router and last i checked i got around 25-40mbps, i think i will give this a try and wait until a suitable WISP comes along.

VandaL

So with all this confusion, telkom came to the party with the 1TB deal for R999 month to month. I still have a b525 router and last i checked i got around 25-40mbps, i think i will give this a try and wait until a suitable WISP comes along.
Yeah, a few years ago when they started these big deals I signed up was getting 40mbit all day then over the course of 6 months when more and more people in my area signed up I would be lucky to get 1-2mbit.

Rather get a prepaid Sim quick to check what speed you get, I'm sure that fixed lte service works of the same bandwidth their normal lte service does on your tower.

Hell if you are still getting that kinda speed that would mean your latency will also be nice and low, might not need a wisp.

Btw what happend with Bitco, they did the 6m pole thing to your neighbor? I gotta say I've been loving the service itself when I finally got it set to what I want.

Dretastic06

Yeah, a few years ago when they started these big deals I signed up was getting 40mbit all day then over the course of 6 months when more and more people in my area signed up I would be lucky to get 1-2mbit.

Rather get a prepaid Sim quick to check what speed you get, I'm sure that fixed lte service works of the same bandwidth their normal lte service does on your tower.

Hell if you are still getting that kinda speed that would mean your latency will also be nice and low, might not need a wisp.

Btw what happend with Bitco, they did the 6m pole thing to your neighbor? I gotta say I've been loving the service itself when I finally got it set to what I want.
they came with the 6m pole and then said they still cant find signal, im not sure how they were expecting to find signal if the sector is not facing this way.

most people use the 1800mhz band and with the 2300mhz its not congested at all, i will do a speedtest later after i get a new sim lol mine expired for not using it in 3 months.

Dretastic06

So no internet for me from Bitco. Feedback received is they cannot get signal and recommend I get LTE.

Now to find another WISP that services my area.
More people get rejected than accepted with them, they like the Harvard of WISPs.

im getting my telkom sim Tuesday, will load the results

HartsockZA

Expert Member
@Dretastic06 did you try ts-s.co.za? They help us with our network here in Pretoria. Maybe they have towers that you can get access to.

Dretastic06

@Dretastic06 did you try ts-s.co.za? They help us with our network here in Pretoria. Maybe they have towers that you can get access to.
I am with them now, experience has been terrible im cancelling after a week with them.

lol what my youtube is doing on a Saturday evening "because of contention ratio"

Attachments

• 1EFD3049-1A6D-4560-BAAB-3EDE66054625.jpeg
    1EFD3049-1A6D-4560-BAAB-3EDE66054625.jpeg
    948.6 KB · Views: 31