What?

BitTorrent throttling allowed under new net neutrality rules

That is polar opposite

supersunbird

Honorary Master
What?

BitTorrent throttling allowed under new net neutrality rules

That is polar opposite
Well, first we all need to agree on what net neutrality means.

As long as the same protocols/traffic types from different providers get treated the same, then that's net neutrality in my opinion. Not that all protocols/traffic types get treated the same all the time.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
BitTorrent or P2P in general?

Actually, by reading the TorrentFreak article,

However, not all traffic is necessarily “neutral.” ISPs are still allowed to throttle specific categories for “reasonable” network management purposes, as the second subparagraph of article 3 reads.

“In order to be deemed to be reasonable, such measures shall be transparent, non-discriminatory and proportionate, and shall not be based on commercial considerations but on objectively different technical quality of service requirements of specific categories of traffic.”

Article 3(3) second subparagraph

The first subparagraph shall not prevent providers of internet access services from implementing reasonable traffic management measures. In order to be deemed to be reasonable, such measures shall be transparent, non-discriminatory and proportionate, and shall not be based on commercial considerations but on objectively different technical quality of service requirements of specific categories of traffic. Such measures shall not monitor the specific content and shall not be maintained for longer than usual.

This means that network management practices, including bandwidth throttling, could possibly target BitTorrent transfers under a broader file-sharing category, or VPNs as encrypted traffic.

These categories include more than BitTorrent.

Thor

Honorary Master
I do not like this.... I pay for my Capped Data why can I then not use it as I see fit?

This to me seem like over greedy ISPs something Mweb most probably would jump on first in South Africa.